User Avatar Image

Decisions Going Too Good

posted by Red Panda on - last edited - Viewed by 269 users

It's the ZA. It's natural for people to be darker. But in a misguided attempt to balance things, most players are a good guy and that's wrong. It doesn't make sense.

I think the best example for the tone of the game's decisions is the St. John's brothers. A lot of players killed the first one. They didn't kill the second one, Andy, because of Clem guilting them. And I think that's real.

Look, people should be growing darker. When at the end of ep 2 a vast majority of people aren't stealing the food then you've failed as a story teller to convey how dire the situation is b/c no human alive would do that. Our brains won't allow us to starve.

I think the job of the writers should be to try to subtly keep people from growing too dark but as a trend people should be bad if not full blown crazy. There is too many good guys. People should not be so much shocked as hating themselves for the terrible things they've done to survive.

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • We'll im one of those peoples no matter what has to be a good guy on the first play through. On others all do the choices i didn't make.

• I think it's just the limitations of the story.
    When it comes to the car at the end of Ep 2, there should be direct consequences to not taking the food, in Ep 3 they should be starving. Instead there are none, the group takes the food anyway and the choice becomes impotent. If you establish that there will be serious consequences to your actions, then you'll see what people really do. That to me is more interesting.

• I think it's cuz we can't actually feel the hunger, we aren't desperate ourselves as the player for food.

• Yeah, I would like it if you get a game over for not being pragmatic enough or pissing off the wrong people. For example, in Episode 1, Kenny will save you even if you've been a d-bag to him for the whole episode and sided with Larry to throw Duck out yet he has no qualms about abandoning you in the future if you don't help him kill Larry...it would've been better if, under those circumstances, Kenny left you behind in the store which results in either someone else saving you if you've been nicer to them or getting a game over. I guess TTG wanted the first season to be easy, but I hope Season 2 is less forgiving if you don't prioritize survival and getting along with your group.

• But there needs to be some way to show that. I think the best way would've been in episode 3 at the scavenging scene, Lee can have a moment where he pauses from hunger if you didn't take anything from the car, and you lose precious time to scavenge.

• @Gman5852 said: But there needs to be some way to show that. I think the best way would've been in episode 3 at the scavenging scene, Lee can have a moment where he pauses from hunger if you didn't take anything from the car, and you lose precious time to scavenge.

I think that was a bad decision period b/c it's hard to get players to understand what starvation feels like. They are starving and despite all the references in the beginning of the episode it still didn't sink in people's brain.

• it's more of a fictional idea that you can't be a good person and survive extreme circumstances, but obviously a story of people getting on and slowly but surely building a better life for themselves is too boring to the zombie genre.

Ninnuendo is right there should be consequences because it kind of made the choice pointless, i took the food because i didn't consider taking abandoned (and desperately needed) food to be stealing, i may not have taken it if we actually saw that it belonged to living people

• i think having that lee is slower would cause game design problems if people did loot the car.

true they did it anyway with the 'good bye she quietly says' section.

but to have the same thign twice in row would be a bit lame froma gameplay standpoint ?

considering how lame/repetative the gameplay was in ep4, how many times did we have to click on the dirt pile to bury the kid ? 4 or 5 times...

all the checking of the ground floor of the house...

constantly telling ben to do something only for him to shrug it of as no big deal and then giving us an bad tude for getting up is his face for not doing it..

then the search of the upstairs for clem, and no one can be bothered to help, yeah we care about clem yeah we'll watch out for her, oh when you need to find her we can't be bothered...

• @Phoenix VII said: Yeah, I would like it if you get a game over for not being pragmatic enough or pissing off the wrong people. For example, in Episode 1, Kenny will save you even if you've been a d-bag to him for the whole episode and sided with Larry to throw Duck out yet he has no qualms about abandoning you in the future if you don't help him kill Larry...it would've been better if, under those circumstances, Kenny left you behind in the store which results in either someone else saving you if you've been nicer to them or getting a game over. I guess TTG wanted the first season to be easy, but I hope Season 2 is less forgiving if you don't prioritize survival and getting along with your group.

The story is tailored to everyone, but is still the same story. Also getting a game over for not being a bro with kenny with ep is kind of detrimental to your point as that would mean there would be a "right" way to respond

• If you are just worried about brute survival at any cost. Even ruining the children you have with you then what is the point? Yes you may survive for a while. The whole point of being alive as a species is to pass on knowledge and skills.

Add Comment