User Avatar Image

Which version of The Walking Dead is your favourite?

posted by Fabrimuch on - last edited - Viewed by 713 users

Which version of The Walking Dead do you like the most?

Mine would be the game (ours, not Activision´s). I feel it´s better written than either the comics or the series, and being a videogame and all, it really makes you live through all the agonizing decisions rather than experiencing second-hand.

As of the comics, I feel that for a story that is primarily character driven, every single character is an unlikeable dick (especially post-prison), so it´s really hard for me to empathize with them. I believe Jim Sterling explains it better than I do in http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6281-Crying-Through-The-Laughs]this video (just apply it to The Walking Dead rather than videogames). There´s also too many characters, more than the story has time to focus on, so a lot of the time they´re just background decoration and I forget they´re there (like Allen´s twins, until that one issue).

Another thing I don´t like about the comics is how almost every issue seems to be about to end just fine, then suddenly pulls a cliffhanger out of its ass. I wish someone reminded Kirkman he is allowed to finish his issues properly every once in a while. I´m currently reading through the "Fear The Hunters" arc, so I don´t know if it gets better after that.

In the series, I also hate almost every character, but only because they´re morons.

I haven´t read the novels, but seeing how they´re based on the comics, I´m afraid I may not like them for the same reasons I don´t like the comics.

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I loved the TV show so I went with that and the TTG Version of the game second. Not a fan of comics so I not including that in my list.

• Series. Andrew really portrays the emotion in the story.

• @DrChem said: How can you vote for Activisions Game when it hasn't even been released?

My thoughts exactly.

I started this journey with the tv show and that will always be my first love. Plus, its been on fire lately.

• The game comes first because nothing beats being a part of the story instead of just reading/watching it.

Game > TV Show.

I haven't read the novels or the comics.

• @SwordOfWar said: The game comes first because nothing beats being a part of the story instead of just reading/watching it.

Game > TV Show.

I haven't read the novels or the comics.

How can you say reading the comics doesn't beat the game when you haven't read the comics? Logical failure. Shutting down.

• I haven't read any of the comics or novels. Haven't played Activisions game, just TT's and I watch the tv series.

• @HelloCthulhu said: How can you say reading the comics doesn't beat the game when you haven't read the comics? Logical failure. Shutting down.

He's talking about the difference between interactive and non-interactive fiction. He could say the same thing about any fictional media, whether he's seen it or not. I tend to agree with his position, as a rule I find interactive fiction far more interesting than non-interactive fiction. I get drawn into it more when I feel that I'm the one driving the story forward.

• @tonyyy123 said: seriously? the game is in the lead? thats surprising ahaha i mean the game is great but it cant hold a candle to the comics...to me its comics, series, novels, game

I think the game is in the lead because people who have only watched the show and played the game are preferring the game not realizing that the game is good because it tries to capture the essence of the comics and succeeds for most part. But for me though, I have to say the comic is still the best medium. It is the set standard after all. Without the success of the comics there would be no show or video game. The game is good but is only 5 episodes long the comics have been consistently good for 103 episodes. Even if you were to just look at the first 5 hardcover walking dead collectors books everything that was liked about games 5 episodes would have been amplified in the books, bearing in mind that each game episode can probably be finished in the time it would take to sit and read one of the hardcover books at a relaxed pace.

• I tried to read some of the comics.....not that into it honestly. Sort of like Manga. T.V. show this season is a big improvement over season 2. Game is a blast and its a change to interact some. I am interested to see the new game, i am not a big activision fan...but willing to look at it. Can't be worse than that facebook game.

• @funyahns said: Can't be worse than that facebook game.

gonna quote you on that.

Add Comment