48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This is surely going to be interesting...

• I do wonder if there's a danger of it being subsumed underneath "Pirates of the Caribbean".

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

I think this could go in three directions:

Best outcome: Surprise revival of LucasArts adventure IPs. Such news would probably also come alongside world peace, as they both have about the same likelihood of happening.

Neutral status-quo outcome: More sitting on IPs. It'll be just like it was, except we can all shake our fists at Disney instead of George Lucas.

Worst case scenario: Disney buries the IPs, and they're never to be seen again. I'm especially concerned of this happening to Monkey Island if Disney decides that it's a "threat" to Pirates of the Caribbean.

• Hard to say. The announcement made it pretty clear that Star Wars is what they're primarily interested in, and any potential profits from the other IPs they're acquiring would just be icing on the cake. The only other IP they mentioned by name is Indiana Jones.

• have you read Ron Gilberts tweet

"Dear Disney: I would like to buy the IP for a game I created called Monkey Island from you. -- Ron P.S. I have no money."

• Telltale should buy Monkey Island off them. After all, their logo looks like Mickey Mouse so it could work :p

• Monkey Island would be a perfect first solo Pixar project for Steve Purcell.

• Disney CEO Robert Iger briefly discussed Disney's plans for game development using the intellectual properties acquired in the acquisition, saying, "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

This could mean that Monkey Island could be again a good franchise to license?
    Telltale, don't miss this event! :D
    Still waiting for TOMI 2! :P

• @Bloody Eugene said: Disney CEO Robert Iger briefly discussed Disney's plans for game development using the intellectual properties acquired in the acquisition, saying, "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

This could mean that Monkey Island could be again a good franchise to license?
    Telltale, don't miss this event! :D
    Still waiting for TOMI 2! :P

I assumed Disney would use LucasArts to improve its console publishing, rather than downplay it. Like when Warner Bros. bought most of Midway.

• Remember how people thought things would go crazy when Disney bought Marvel, but in the end not that much changed?

Something tells me that LucasArts will still be more-or-less independent. They may become a lot more active (as opposed to how right now they pretty much just exist to hand the Star Wars license to other devs), but it's unlikely they'll do anything too different from what they've already been doing (i.e.: lots and lots of Star Wars shit).

Besides, why would Disney be interested in Monkey Island when they have their own more profitable pirate franchise? :p

Add Comment