User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 12.5K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: Here's an actual link to the Kickstarter page, as opposed to a Google search.

Whoops, my bad. Fixed.

• http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/624061548/the-goon-movie-lets-kickstart-this-sucker

Here's one for the goon movie. Please fund it like crazy since there's only 9 days left on this. I want this to succeed.

• Please don't fund it. Funding this story reel that backers can't see that will then be used to sell the project to a major studio is not a good idea and this project deserves every single bit of bad press it gets.

While I'm talking about animation projects, I'm backing The Saga of Rex. I also backed Kick-Heart, the first crowd-funded Japan-made anime, but that campaign is done.

• Dashing this is the kickstarter thread. And as you can see the goon kickstarter offers rewards like any other kickstarter project.

• Most Kickstarters tend to offer the end result to its backers. The finished product, if you will.

The Goon isn't doing that at all.

The closest they get to letting people see the story reel (and that's all it is, mind - it's not the finished film. It's just a STORY REEL) is an invitation to watch it at a special screening night, and that pretty much screws over anyone who can't get to LA (like me, Mr South Coast of England). Unless you pledge 10 grand, in which case you get a private screening. And you'll still have to make your way to California.

Everything else they're offering is just the typical bonus stuff - posters and faux-bronze sculptures. But that's pretty much it.

• @Leplaya said: Dashing

Charmed.

@Leplaya said: this is the kickstarter thread.

I'm well aware. That's why we're talking about a Kickstarter campaign and not, for example, conservation efforts to save the Hispaniolan Solenodon.

@Leplaya said: And as you can see the goon kickstarter offers rewards like any other kickstarter project.

I don't contest that they offer rewards.

I contest that they are creating something that the backers will be able to see.

I contest that the thing the backers actually want to have made is actually being funded by the backers(that is, the finished film).

I contest that a project meant to create a pitch to have a project funded by corporate interests is not going against the spirit of, if not the actual rules of, Kickstarter as a platform.

I contest that funding this will directly lead to the thing people want to see made(that is, the film) actually being created.

I contest that contributing to this is a good idea.

I contest that this project deserves to succeed.

I disagree with the way this project is being run on practical and moral grounds, and for that reason I have to say I'd be overjoyed to see it fall flat on its face and fail, and frankly I think it doesn't deserve anything better than that.

• I gotta say... that Kickstarter looks really fishy. Four hundred thousand to create a pitch that probably won't even make it to a movie.

It makes me think of the Producers for some reason.

• Think I'm gonna pledge fifty dollars to the Goon project.

• @Alcoremortis said: I gotta say... that Kickstarter looks really fishy. Four hundred thousand to create a pitch that probably won't even make it to a movie.

It makes me think of the Producers for some reason.

Yeah... The studio is essentially asking for money so you can pay to see it, IF it even makes it to that stage, under the guise that the movie is happening for sure. It's a little scary when a studio has to ask people for money so they can pitch an idea for people to invest in when no one was willing to invest in the project in the first place, let alone owing backers practically nothing whether or not the movie succeeds or fails...

I mean, the the only way that investors would be interested in investing in a blockbuster movie is if that movie shows great promise in returning a profit. The project looks really cool, but I honestly don't see it as working out that way, ESPECIALLY when the studio has never undergone anything near this level.

Add Comment