User Avatar Image

A opertunity missed

posted by Shrewsbury Survivor on - last edited - Viewed by 286 users

I was playing ep2 again and noticed the convo with Mark. Could they have done an episode at the airforce base and when you rescue him.
This seems a bit Crawfordish but It could of shown military being over run which we hear about but could really show how serious this is.

14 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @TWDFTW said: Yeah, at least if it wasn't gameplay, then it could be a cutscene but I to did not feel like I cared much about mark and I didn't really care if he left the group or not. And also it was never made very clear as to where you picked him up from, and as to where he got all that food from etc, his character needed to be explained more, because I wasn't concentrating much on the episode 2 gameplay, because I was wondering whether I had missed something in episode 1 lol

    Yes they did. Both lily and lee made it clear where he was from. He came from some airforce base, when it became infested he took some supplies and he happened to pass the motel and asked to come in exchange for supplies. Plus mark was my friend.

  • @KingOfTheDead said: Yes they did. Both lily and lee made it clear where he was from. He came from some airforce base, when it became infested he took some supplies and he happened to pass the motel and asked to come in exchange for supplies. Plus mark was my friend.

    This is part of the problem. The game is a visual medium. If someones an arsehole I prefer to see them acting like an arsehole instead of just people saying "he's an arsehole.". Show, don't tell.

    I didn't actually experience any of that, instead I was simply told. This left me feeling like I'd missed something simply because I didnt feel the same way as any of the characters. I'm told I should know him, but I don't. I'm told he's a friend of Lee's, but I'm playing Lee and I don't know this guy from Jack.

  • @cormoran said: This is part of the problem. The game is a visual medium. If someones an arsehole I prefer to see them acting like an arsehole instead of just people saying "he's an arsehole.". Show, don't tell.

    I didn't actually experience any of that, instead I was simply told. This left me feeling like I'd missed something simply because I didnt feel the same way as any of the characters. I'm told I should know him, but I don't. I'm told he's a friend of Lee's, but I'm playing Lee and I don't know this guy from Jack.

    Yeah I want to be shown! Not told he is my friend and that I should trust him, I don't know this guy and why should I trust him if I haven't ever met him before.

  • @cormoran said: This is part of the problem. The game is a visual medium. If someones an arsehole I prefer to see them acting like an arsehole instead of just people saying "he's an arsehole.". Show, don't tell.

    I didn't actually experience any of that, instead I was simply told. This left me feeling like I'd missed something simply because I didnt feel the same way as any of the characters. I'm told I should know him, but I don't. I'm told he's a friend of Lee's, but I'm playing Lee and I don't know this guy from Jack.

    We'll it happened during the time skip there was really any need to go deeper than that, though i do understand what you mean.

  • @KingOfTheDead said: Yes they did. Both lily and lee made it clear where he was from. He came from some airforce base, when it became infested he took some supplies and he happened to pass the motel and asked to come in exchange for supplies. Plus mark was my friend.

    Like I said I was trying to concentrate on figuring out who he was I didn't really listen to the dialogue so I didn't take it all in, but I would prefer a short cut scene of at least him coming across the motel not just being told where he came from, where the supplies came from and if I should trust this guy I haven't ever seen before. This is where the episode failed for me, it felt like I had missed out 20 minutes of gameplay at least, but I suppose they needed to fit in other stuff.

  • Actually, Mark didn't leave the Air Force Base on his own and stumble upon the motor inn. Lee and co. went to the base and found him there, and he offered them all the food he had stored up in return for being able to come with them.

    I quite liked Mark and his butchering was a shock to me. Even though I'd only known the character for say an hour before he got shot, I felt like I knew him well enough to care about him.

  • In early early early story meetings, there were a couple ideas for episode two, including just doing an air force base story instead of the dairy, and we briefly had an idea where episode 2 was going to be in two halves, first at the base then the dairy. It proved too big to consider, and the dairy was more compelling, so the air force base never made it into the story. I don't know how far along Chuck got with ideas for anything at a base, but I'm glad we went the way we did and focused entirely on the St Johns.

  • The St. Johns were definitely compelling and offered something that probably wouldn't have been doable at the Air Force Base. Still, it'd have been awesome to see more of Mark.

    I agree that splitting the episode between two big set pieces probably would have detracted from both parts.

    If only it were a six-episode season!

  • @Jake said: In early early early story meetings, there were a couple ideas for episode two, including just doing an air force base story instead of the dairy, and we briefly had an idea where episode 2 was going to be in two halves, first at the base then the dairy. It proved too big to consider, and the dairy was more compelling, so the air force base never made it into the story. I don't know how far along Chuck got with ideas for anything at a base, but I'm glad we went the way we did and focused entirely on the St Johns.

    Did you guys name the charcater Chuck, after Chuck? :)

  • Badass hobo working at TTG's? Sounds legit.

Add Comment