33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That video was hilarious and incredibly disturbing. I will never be able to think about Timon and Pumbaa without thinking about mass murder of millions from now on.

• my favorite is the green one

• @DAISHI said: It sort of sucks.

This. Only not just sort of.

Harry Potter is my favorite book series. I've read each of the books at least 3 times, and I have the (UK) audiobooks for all 7 books, which my wife and I have listened to so many times, we've lost count.

My least favorite book was Order of the Phoenix when I first read it, because Harry spends so much of his time angry about everything. Sure, there are a legitimate reasons for it, but he just not all that likeable in Book 5.

Regarding the audiobooks, I highly recommend the British version as read by Stephen Fry instead of the US version by Jim Dale. Stephen Fry is just better. Seriously.

• @Chyron8472 said: Regarding the audiobooks, I highly recommend the British version as read by Stephen Fry instead of the US version by Jim Dale. Stephen Fry is just better. Seriously.

Stephen Fry is better than everything.

• It's weird. Deathly Hallows is both my favorite and least favorite book. On the one hand, there were some moments that I absolutely adored. Infiltrating the ministry, learning the tale of the Deathly Hallows (that animation was pretty much my favorite part of the movie), Snape's memories in the Pensive... those were all fantastic moments.

But then, there were lots of things that just didn't work. Character deaths didn't seem to have as much meaning in this book as they did in previous ones. They just die and are instantly forgotten, with the exception of Dobby and possibly Snape (but they do just leave him rotting in a shack). Fred Weasley, who was half of the staple comic relief for the entire series, gets barely a few sentences about his demise. We don't even get a hint of what's going to happen to George after the series. Does he continue to play pranks in his dead brother's memory or just become a bitter, closeted man and join the Ministry of Making People's Lives Miserable? We don't even get a vague reference.

Not even in the epilogue (which reminded me of every bad fanfiction ever). I'm halfway convinced that the only reason Harry got paired with Ginny was so that they'd remind everyone of James and Lily because Ginny lost all her character traits once she stopped being the super shy little girl. Reading back through the last few books, Luna seems a much more likely candidate, given the much larger portion of time that Harry spends with her. But nope. It's Ginny.

So yeah, loved some parts, hated others.

• Something that annoys me in the movies is how the cut out certain parts & characters. For example Dobby was cut out of every movie after Chamber of Secrets even through he was in Goblet of fire, Order of the Phoenix, and The Half Blood Prince books but he is only in HP & The Chamber of Secrets & HP & the Deathly Hallows movies. Also i think i remember hearing that Sirius Black's role in Goblet of Fire was bigger in the book.

Add Comment