User Avatar Image

Crawford Vs Ben (or Survival Vs Humanity)

posted by Ninnuendo on - last edited - Viewed by 562 users

I don't want to write too much in this topic for fear of influencing the poll but I'm interested looking at the Ben question through the prism of Crawford Survivalist Philosophy.

Ben
He's a young kid, he's an idiot, he's put you in danger multiple times but he's not bad, he's well meaning, he has the potential to be useful and will keep trying to be.
Now Ben has split this forum into 2 camps.

Those who would drop him because he's a threat or because he already screwed up & those who would save him out of compassion or his potential use. This particular issue is very relevant to the supporters and opponents of the way Crawford is run.

What I want to know is this

Did you support or agree with Crawfords policy of removing potential threats?
&
Did you drop Ben?

I'd really like forum answers to this and explanations, don't just vote and leave.

Poll is coming in a moment

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Okay, I won't vote and run, but honestly, I don't have a lot to say.
    Reject Crawford/Save Ben, I think it's a logical combination.

    I don't know why I reject Crawford except for the fact that it makes my moral senses tingle. To me, they're just inhuman. Like Anna said, is survival really worth it if that's what it takes? If you nearly have to lose your humanity? My instinct says no.

    As for Ben, I feel sorry for him, and I feel like I can relate. I will not let him go, because I'd go against all I've said so far, and be a total hypocrite all at the same time.

  • On my main playthrough I dropped Ben. He has been given plenty of chances to not screw things up. If this were still the normal world and fucking up didn't mean dying then sure, I'd help him. But he has caused the most deaths since the ZA in Lee's world and he even begged to be dropped (which, if he was being melodramatic, he should've taken into account that Lee would seriously do it).

  • @thestalkinghead said: bree would still be alive if she had been paying attention and not wanted a vote on something that i felt she had no place being involved in voting on, why not blame the guy that died and became a zombie if he had not been an idiot and died he wouldn't have eaten bree, or we should blame lee for not telling everybody that the zombies want to come in the door and even if they go don't take the hatchet because it is there for a reason and they may come back

    *sigh* You're taking indirect blame to a ridiculous extreme. Sure, Brie shouldn't have been standing next to the door, but if Ben hadn't made the utterly stupid choice of removing the hatchet from the door she would be alive. As it was, Ben's stupidity not only killed Brie but would've killed Lee's entire group had Kenny not been fast enough with the hatchet or if the door he was trying to break was a little stronger. Remove Ben from the Crawford raid...just Ben, and everything would've went smoothly, that's what marks Ben as a liability, because his very presence drastically increases the possibility of a fatal problem occurring.

    And, honestly, I don't even get what you mean by saying that the walker that killed Brie should be blamed, the guy who became a walker is gone and dead. Maybe we're talking about different things. I'm not saying that Ben would deserve exile or death in a court of law. I wouldn't kick him out or let him go out of some sense of justice, I'd let him go because I care about survival and keeping a guy who keeps screwing up and almost getting everyone killed at Crawford reduces the chances of survival for the group by far too much. And, IMO, this isn't the same as Crawford since they rejected anyone that they thought wasn't useful, I personally would be fine with having a deadweight around, but an outright liability like Ben is another matter.

  • I chose to reject Crawford and to save Ben. Crawford is one of the most horrible survivor group, just behind the St Johns family, while Ben isn't really a bad person, but that hatchet thing was really dumb, even for him.
    PS: does anyone else thinks TT is a bit exagerating with the stupid things Ben does?

  • @Phoenix VII said: *sigh* You're taking indirect blame to a ridiculous extreme. Sure, Brie shouldn't have been standing next to the door, but if Ben hadn't made the utterly stupid choice of removing the hatchet from the door she would be alive. As it was, Ben's stupidity not only killed Brie but would've killed Lee's entire group had Kenny not been fast enough with the hatchet or if the door he was trying to break was a little stronger. Remove Ben from the Crawford raid...just Ben, and everything would've went smoothly, that's what marks Ben as a liability, because his very presence drastically increases the possibility of a fatal problem occurring.

    And, honestly, I don't even get what you mean by saying that the walker that killed Brie should be blamed, the guy who became a walker is gone and dead. Maybe we're talking about different things. I'm not saying that Ben would deserve exile or death in a court of law. I wouldn't kick him out or let him go out of some sense of justice, I'd let him go because I care about survival and keeping a guy who keeps screwing up and almost getting everyone killed at Crawford reduces the chances of survival for the group by far too much. And, IMO, this isn't the same as Crawford since they rejected anyone that they thought wasn't useful, I personally would be fine with having a deadweight around, but an outright liability like Ben is another matter.

    what i mean about the zombie/man being to blame is because if he didn't die(or if he shot himself in the head) he wouldn't have been a zombie and wouldn't have eaten Bree so he is indirectly responsible for her death, if you feel like indirect blame is ridiculous thats fine by me.

    The door obviously didn't have zombies trying to break in when ben took the hatchet, so it was either Lee's fault for not telling him that that door wasn't safe anymore or it was nobody's fault, just bad luck and that they can predict the future

  • @Kaserkin said: I chose to reject Crawford and to save Ben. Crawford is one of the most horrible survivor group, just behind the St Johns family, while Ben isn't really a bad person, but that hatchet thing was really dumb, even for him.
    PS: does anyone else thinks TT is a bit exagerating with the stupid things Ben does?

    Yep, i think TT really forced the hate for Ben through. I mean, at the start he leaves Clem to the walkers then doesnt keep an eye on her and she follows Lee to the harbour then loses her AGAIN then starts bitching about the mission in the school then takes the hatchet from the door and gets whats-her-face killed then tells Kenny about the bandit deal AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME. Not to mention, he does nothing useful in the entire episode. Felt like TT wanted Ben dead more than Kenny did!

  • @Kaserkin said: PS: does anyone else thinks TT is a bit exagerating with the stupid things Ben does?

    Good question. He's an 18 year-old teenager that probably lived a relatively comfortable and sheltered life until the ZA occurred, so it's a given that he's below-average survivor material, IMO. On the other hand, whether that means it's realistic for a dumb kid his age to remove a hatchet from the only door that's between the group and an overwhelming number of walkers...I'm not sure at all. It's been too long since I was 18.

  • @Phoenix VII said: Good question. He's an 18 year-old teenager that probably lived a relatively comfortable and sheltered life until the ZA occurred, so it's a given that he's below-average survivor material, IMO. On the other hand, whether that means it's realistic for a dumb kid his age to remove a hatchet from the only door that's between the group and an overwhelming number of walkers...I'm not sure at all. It's been too long since I was 18.

    You can say that about evryone in the group: Lee was a history professor, Kenny a fisherman, Lilly some sort of bureaucrat... Yet they manage to survive pretty well, at least until Ben arrives...

  • Crawford fell due to their rules.
    I didn't drop Ben because that's just mean. Lee already had a hold of him. Letting go would be the wrong thing to do.
    But here's the kicker. I voted against Ben going in the boat. So if Ben proves himself when looking for Clementine does that mean he still gets left behind when the boat is ready to go?

  • @thestalkinghead said: what i mean about the zombie/man being to blame is because if he didn't die(or if he shot himself in the head) he wouldn't have been a zombie and wouldn't have eaten Bree so he is indirectly responsible for her death, if you feel like indirect blame is ridiculous thats fine by me.

    Ok, I see your point here. I'd say that now everyone who gets bit has a responsibility to off themselves before they turn, but the first wave of ZA casualties shouldn't be held to that standard since nobody knew what they were dealing with in the beginning, and the walker that bit Brie was likely among the first wave of people who turned since Savannah was a Level 9 Catastrophe when radio news was still working. Also, AFAIK, most survivors don't know that people who die of any causes other than head trauma still come back for at least the first 3 months or so. And, I should mention that I have no problem blaming more than 1 individual for a mistake.:cool: But, in this case, I think that the guy who became the walker that bit Brie is probably in the clear...by my subjective standards anyway.The door obviously didn't have zombies trying to break in when ben took the hatchet, so it was either Lee's fault for not telling him that that door wasn't safe anymore or it was nobody's fault, just bad luck and that they can predict the futureGuess we'll have to agree to disagree here then. If I was in a small section of a big building during a ZA, saw a hatchet blocking the main door that connects your section with the rest of the building, and didn't know that there were walkers elsewhere in the building but knew there was a horde of them outside, then I would either err on the side of caution or ask Kenny, "Hey, man, are there any walker-related reasons as to why there's a hatchet blocking the main door?", and that would be a crisis averted.

Add Comment