User Avatar Image

Your vehicle?

posted by Foinikas on - last edited - Viewed by 806 users

What kind of a vehicle would you want to have in the Zombie Apocalypse?

An RV?A jeep?A van?A fast car?A truck?

I don't wanna hear any stupid replies like "a tank" or "a bullet-proof car" and bullocks.

A Land Rover jeep would be fine for me but if there are more than 3-4 people a nice RV would be awesome!

83 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Typicaljacob said: well, most of the placement guns you see are M2 50 calibers and such. those are heavy and so is the ammunition from it. i think, i think. just think. that they didnt take the weapons because rick already had a bag of guns and ammunition (plus the fact that lori didnt like guns) and tanks attract alot of noise. they are very. very. loud and you can even feel the tremors from them. walkers will be all over it. you run out of gas? well you got walkers all over you. most military vehicles are loud. some APC's on the other hand, they're moderately quiet and fast and armoured so thats my choice vehicle (LAV-25).

That isn't entirely true. Tanks used to be very very loud. The M1A1 uses a gas turbine engine and in my opinion makes less noise than an APC.

Now when the main gun fires that is an entirely different story :D But, I don't think it would be used a whole lot in a zombie apocalypse.

• @Skizoker said: That isn't entirely true. Tanks used to be very very loud. The M1A1 uses a gas turbine engine and in my opinion makes less noise than an APC.

Now when the main gun fires that is an entirely different story :D But, I don't think it would be used a whole lot in a zombie apocalypse.

I think the noise of the tracks on asphalt are a lot more than an APC does when travelling. And the fact that you can literally feel it in the ground when a tank moves is also very much true.

Don't forget: TWD Armies probably got beaten because their movements probably attracted every zombie in a huge radius to come over towards them. If you already see how strongly they react to one helicopter flying over or a train coming by, how would they react to a tank rolling by?

• @Devlonir said: I think the noise of the tracks on asphalt are a lot more than an APC does when travelling. And the fact that you can literally feel it in the ground when a tank moves is also very much true.

Don't forget: TWD Armies probably got beaten because their movements probably attracted every zombie in a huge radius to come over towards them. If you already see how strongly they react to one helicopter flying over or a train coming by, how would they react to a tank rolling by?

M1A1 have rubber pads on the track and don't make extremely loud noises. It isn't quiet by any means but it doesn't require hearing protection.

Here is a few youtube videos. The only time the tank makes an obscene amount of noise is when you punch it and the turbine winds up really high, it can be pretty tactical if you know what you are doing.

Plus this next video shows you some of the stuff you can get through...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCXwgPZXScM

Here is one of a road test during OSUT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltqh-DYIx4o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP8B9YjK09I&feature=related

And as to how they would react to a tank rolling by? Do you have any idea what a tank would do to a zombie? You could literally probably drive over thousands of them and nothing they could do would stop the tank.

Tankers call enemy infantry "Track grease" for a reason.

• @Skizoker said: And as to how they would react to a tank rolling by? Do you have any idea what a tank would do to a zombie? You could literally probably drive over thousands of them and nothing they could do would stop the tank.

Tankers call enemy infantry "Track grease" for a reason.

Some impressive vids, and okay.. modern tanks are probably more quiet than old ones. But the point here is not really what you can do while you can use the tank. The risk with a tank is getting a lot of Walker attention.. Indeed, walkers can't stop the tank.. but eventually the tank has to stop regardless. And once the eventual moment occurs you are out of gas and/or ammo and need to get out the chances are very big that your vehicle has attracted more Walkers than it could have killed.

This is exactly why I support the idea of using a bike for missions while having cars/RV's around a base camp if you need to change your area of operation because you are out supplies or there are too many Walkers in the area.

• @Devlonir said: Some impressive vids, and okay.. modern tanks are probably more quiet than old ones. But the point here is not really what you can do while you can use the tank. The risk with a tank is getting a lot of Walker attention.. Indeed, walkers can't stop the tank.. but eventually the tank has to stop regardless. And once the eventual moment occurs you are out of gas and/or ammo and need to get out the chances are very big that your vehicle has attracted more Walkers than it could have killed.

This is exactly why I support the idea of using a bike for missions while having cars/RV's around a base camp if you need to change your area of operation because you are out supplies or there are too many Walkers in the area.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I feel entirely confident I could keep a tank supplied with fuel and if I ever were not able to I guess I would have to find a different mode of transportation.

• @Skizoker said: I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I feel entirely confident I could keep a tank supplied with fuel and if I ever were not able to I guess I would have to find a different mode of transportation.

This isn't about keeping it supplied. This is that eventually, at one moment, you'll have to get out of the thing again. And the size/sound combination makes it attract a lot of attention. My point is: You will have a lot less rest from Walkers while driving one. And you can't survive just staying inside the tank 24/7.

Not saying it's impossible though. With a support crew and a homebase that you can keep walker free (say, an aircraft hangar where you can drive your tank into and keep all doors closed) you can survive for a long time. But actually going from A to B in it is less practical than other modes of transportation.

• @Skizoker said: I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I feel entirely confident I could keep a tank supplied with fuel and if I ever were not able to I guess I would have to find a different mode of transportation.

You couldn't keep it supplied with anything else. No decent storage space. Firearms, Ammo, Food. Clothes. All that stuff takes up a lot of space.

And if it's gasoline, then you have the same problem of the fuel breaking down and causing issues. Diesel doesn't have that problem.

• Yes of course you would have to have a secure base to take it to. I never said I would drive around all day every day without resting.

It holds approximately 11,000 rounds of small arms ammunition and the storage space isn't as bad as you might think. You would be surprised how much stuff you can put in a tank if you need to especially if you don't use the ammo racks for main gun rounds or small arms ammunition and the bustle racks can carry quite a bit of equipment as well.

And as for fuel breaking down the Abrams can use diesel.

• By the way this is straight from the wiki page.

The tank was built around this engine[53] and it is multifuel capable; meaning that it can be powered with diesel, kerosene, any grade of motor gasoline, and jet fuel (such as JP-4 or JP-8). For logistical reasons, JP-8 is the US military's universal fuel powering both aircraft and vehicle fleets.

We only used diesel and jet fuel at the units I was stationed at but I had heard it could use any type of fuel.

• Well,the second biggest problem with stuff like Walking Dead is the main characters seem to be intent on "getting somewhere else". Essentially,if the nuclear option were on the table,they'd have already flown when the first city fell to the zombie horde. Since that hasn't happened,it's probably not going to. Ergo,shit's already so fucked,even nukes can't really help so you might as well bunker in and start building a sustainable colony.

I'd start by trying to find the local water supply and reclaim that. Clean water means you got something to drink and water your farms with. Farming and scavenging weapons,food,and medicine will also be a priority as well as clearing and walling off new areas to make getting around easier. Protip: Most gun shops have silencers for various firearms available,but you need a special permit to obtain them. As civilization has collapsed,you can just take 'em from any abandoned gun shop. If they have guns,they probably have silencers. Crossbows and bows are also good,quiet killers if you're willing to learn to aim them.

Destroying the zombies will also be high on the "to do" list and should be simple so long as someone is always watching the guy out there with the axe. They're only really dangerous in hordes. I don't know why these people throw up their hands and sigh dramatically whenever they see a SINGLE ZOMBIE! It's one zombie. They have almost no mobility and their main attack is to basically fall on you. You can step backwards and they'll fall on their face and then you just hop on their heads. Point is,unlike in badly written TV shows,a zombie horde isn't endless. There's a finite number and every one you kill while it's on it's own is one less you have to deal with in a horde.

Farming can be done easily with rooftop gardens in the city and walled off farms in the country. Once you have a clean water source,you can basically hold out indefinitely. Just don't eat the seeds when you eat your tomatoes. Remember,even rotten fruit still has seeds you can use to grow new plants and,therefore,fruits and veggies.

Next order of business is to locate the local power plant and secure that. Underground passages like subways,the larger sewers,and cave systems should be exploited because they're very easy to choke off and helps eliminate the problems created by horde attacks since you can just get to a narrow area and fight them one at a time,thereby removing the only advantage they have.

So as you can see,my vehicle needs wouldn't be for long range travel but for short range transportation. Moving supplies,people,and what not just outside my fortress city. As such,I'd look for mostly hybrid cars for scout vehicles with reenforced front ends and windshields for running over zombies,though the quiet electric engines will make it easier to sneak around. Pick ups for mass transit and moving bigger gear,four wheel drive preferred. And,of course,semis with reenforced fronts for simply plowing through the horde should they mass up outside.

Additionally,I'd employ what I like to call the "boom box" method. Basically you take a big ass stereo,put a bunch of explosives around it,and then turn it on. The zombies will be attracted by the stereo,but probably won't get too close to it,that's why you put the explosives AROUND it instead of ON it. Plus,you can probably get the stereo back afterward. You'll also want to do this in an open field,park,or empty lot to avoid damaging buildings and harming any survivors who might be hiding there.

If I were on the road,I'd probably go with just the hybrid I mentioned. Any time I picked someone up,we can just sit in laps til we find more vehicles to salvage.

Additionally,bikes might be ok for moving things in a safe area,but you don't want to be on one outside the walls. Zombies behind you might alert zombies ahead for you and suddenly,you're trapped. That's why cars are better,they simply offer more protection.

Add Comment