User Avatar Image

Crawford Vs Ben (or Survival Vs Humanity)

posted by Ninnuendo on - last edited - Viewed by 768 users

I don't want to write too much in this topic for fear of influencing the poll but I'm interested looking at the Ben question through the prism of Crawford Survivalist Philosophy.

Ben
He's a young kid, he's an idiot, he's put you in danger multiple times but he's not bad, he's well meaning, he has the potential to be useful and will keep trying to be.
Now Ben has split this forum into 2 camps.

Those who would drop him because he's a threat or because he already screwed up & those who would save him out of compassion or his potential use. This particular issue is very relevant to the supporters and opponents of the way Crawford is run.

What I want to know is this

Did you support or agree with Crawfords policy of removing potential threats?
&
Did you drop Ben?

I'd really like forum answers to this and explanations, don't just vote and leave.

Poll is coming in a moment

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Kaserkin said: You can say that about evryone in the group: Lee was a history professor, Kenny a fisherman, Lilly some sort of bureaucrat... Yet they manage to survive pretty well, at least until Ben arrives...

True, and IMO, that's what really matters, after 2 episodes of dealing with that disaster magnet I'll finally have a Ben-free episode when Ep. 5 comes out.

• I saved Ben because I'm not a monster, because like Lee, he deserves another chance.

• @thestalkinghead said: what i mean about the zombie/man being to blame is because if he didn't die(or if he shot himself in the head) he wouldn't have been a zombie and wouldn't have eaten Bree so he is indirectly responsible for her death, if you feel like indirect blame is ridiculous thats fine by me.

The door obviously didn't have zombies trying to break in when ben took the hatchet, so it was either Lee's fault for not telling him that that door wasn't safe anymore or it was nobody's fault, just bad luck and that they can predict the future

You should take a look at fallacies, since you tend to use them a lot:
    http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/rgass/fallacy3211.htm

You're constantly taking things to the extreme, which is a major fallacy. Logically speaking if a door (which you came in from to get away from walkers, mind you) is obviously blocked with a tool, a tool that was found in a shed only hours before, you'd logically think said tool is there purposely to block the door.

Ben does not think. He acts without giving a second thought to anything he does. It's one of his major character flaws. There are many examples of his thoughtlessness and cowardice throughout the game, and taking the axe away from the door is another one of these examples. Each time those mistakes have consequences. In the case of the axe, brie died from it, and the group almost did too.

Ben isn't a bad person, he's just stupid. He's a very good person at heart, but he acts without thinking (actually fairly common for 17-18 year olds :p) Being stupid doesn't make you bad, but it does mean you might make a lot of mistakes. My point is, keep Ben away from power tools, as well as doors being blocked by axes.

• @BlackPaladin said: You should take a look at fallacies, since you tend to use them a lot:
    http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/rgass/fallacy3211.htm

You're constantly taking things to the extreme, which is a major fallacy. Logically speaking if a door (which you came in from to get away from walkers, mind you) is obviously blocked with a tool, a tool that was found in a shed only hours before, you'd logically think said tool is there purposely to block the door.

Ben does not think. He acts without giving a second thought to anything he does. It's one of his major character flaws. There are many examples of his thoughtlessness and cowardice throughout the game, and taking the axe away from the door is another one of these examples. Each time those mistakes have consequences. In the case of the axe, brie died from it, and the group almost did too.

Ben isn't a bad person, he's just stupid. He's a very good person at heart, but he acts without thinking (actually fairly common for 17-18 year olds :p) Being stupid doesn't make you bad, but it does mean you might make a lot of mistakes. My point is, keep Ben away from power tools, as well as doors being blocked by axes.

taking things to the extreme is just how i look at the world, i cant really form an opinion on something that is in a grey area (like whether bree's death is ben's fault) unless i think about it in the extreme.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3445&stc=1&d

• I saved him...And I TOTALLY think he's gonna die for Clem...lI just wanted to save as many ppl as I can.

• If the people of crawford hadn't hung the guy from the bell, the bell wouldn't have been rung, (you can hear the bell ringing when Lee is asking where Ben got the hatchet) and the zombies wouldn't have been drawn back. If you know people come back, and noise attracts them, that was a pretty bad decision.

• crawford is just plain cruel but in a weird way it sorta makes sense but the rules and cons and arsehole nature id rather pick a fight with a polar bear

BRING IT ON SNOWBALL YOU WANT THIS FISH COME AND GET IT

ben is a nervous clumsy 18 yr old like me well im fatter and stouty but hey i can be bait so i thought to give the lanky git a chance

• I went away and my cousin selected support Crawford/Save Ben

I would have chosen Reject Crawford/Save Ben

I hated the way Crawford ran things,I would only kick someone out if they were purposely getting people killed.

• @cormoran said: Might aswell blame the cop for crashing into the first zombie we saw then, had that not happened Lee might have ended up in completely different predicaments.

Lee would have actually headed to the [SPOILERS] Prison where Rick's group go to.He may have actually met Rick and the group of he survived aswell.

• @Phoenix VII said: Remove Ben from the Crawford raid...just Ben, and everything would've went smoothly, that's what marks Ben as a liability, because his very presence drastically increases the possibility of a fatal problem occurring.

I always wondered why everyone gave me weird looks for bringing Clem, but the idea of known screw-up tagging along didn't give anyone even a bit of a pause. Hey, let's bring the cowardly clutz with us on a stealth raid of murder town!

... Hey, bringing Clem -saved- someone; bringing Ben -killed- someone. I'm one up on the decision making there.

Add Comment