User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead Episode 4 REVIEW Thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 13.4K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about "Around every Corner" right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODE!!!

AND I'll add an open poll to this thread for you to rate the episode on a scale from one to ten. It's not a substitute for a constructive review... it's just because I like polls.

Please ignore the results if Gary Whitta votes a 10. :D

edit: I created the poll as an open poll so you could see who voted which number... but it seems like Jake had different plans. So now Gary can vote and you wouldn't even know. ;)

394 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Viner16 said: Nope, I never sided with Kenny and when I looked at him he said "Don't look over here for help, I ain't helping you."

Then said Clem is Family

And he just got more pissed :\

Wait what did he say after you said Clem is family?

I am legitimately intrigued.

• @Viner16 said: Nope, I never sided with Kenny and when I looked at him he said "Don't look over here for help, I ain't helping you."

Then said Clem is Family

And he just got more pissed :\

I'm as curious as the person above me. How did you treat his family throughout the game?

• @Sweater Snake said: Wait what did he say after you said Clem is family?

I am legitimately intrigued.

Well I finished the episode awhile ago and my memory is fuzzy, but to sum up basically what he said it went something along like this:

"You never cared about my family and you expect me to help yours? Fuck you Lee."

It was obviously more then 2 sentences, but I can't remember the exact so :p

Also, when I looked at him Kenny didn't say the whole "I'm a Christian man, but I'm wondering..." etc stuff.

He said "Don't look over here for help, I ain't helping you."

So pretty much the Christian man line is the Neutral Kenny line, and I probably got the Asshole Kenny line :D

@Sweater Snake said: I'm as curious as the person above me. How did you treat his family throughout the game?

Um... I tried to calm everything in the Pharmacy but the game ended up saying I sided with Larry.

So there goes a point against me already.

I saved Shawn not Duck.

I fed both the kids, Mark, and Larry :D

I tried to save Larry with Lilly, so I sided against Kenny again.

Throughout Episode 3 I was calling Kenny out on killing Larry, and when Duck got bit I kept on mentioning stuff like "We have to stop this Rv!" and "What about Duck?"

I fought him and didn't get a scratch.

I got him to kill Duck, not sure if that matters but meh.

I killed the boy in the attic.

I insulted him quite a bit while he was drunk.

When Ben told Kenny, I disagreed with Kenny and said "We gotta work on getting out of here!"

I then voted that Ben stays with us.

And I saved Ben when the choice came up.

I showed my bite too :D

I think those are all correct, haven't played for a month and that was only Ep 4 :D

But yeah, Kenny's been an asshole to me since Ep 2.

• Love that run down Viner....I'm getting the feeling if/when it comes to Kenny to be helped by Lee, he might be left in the bed he made, to lie in.

• Just played episode four all in one go last night. I'm so pissed at Kenny, I had that SOB's back since the get-go, the only things I didn't do were help him kill Lily's dad or steal the food. Even when I disagreed with him, I used the mildest language and tried to mollycoddle him, I didn't fight him on the train but talked him down. But in episode four I had finally had enough of his bullshit because he was NEVER there for me, and I told him fuck himself -- and that was that. I wonder what you have to do in order to get that rat bastard to support you?

I wanted to kill Ben in chapter 3 for what he did, but Clem liked him so I let him stay. When it came to letting him go -- I had to pull him up, because the other choice would have been murder, plain and simple, and that would have made me no better than him. Now I'm glad that I saved him, because he's coming along with me into episode 5, and I figure I need him. He's turning out to be a better man than that bastard Kenny.

It was a rough episode, and now it's clear that it's not going to have a happy ending. No only that, but look at the title card for episode 5: NO TIME LEFT, and I'm pretty sure now that it's Lee's corpse that Clem is looking at.

My guess is that Vern takes Clem into his extended family, and I hope that's the case, even though he did shoot me in the head once! He's a better man than Kenny. I don't want her going off with that damn loser.

Will definitely look for that third tape the next time I play through! -- But I'm glad I brought Clem with me, as I'm so lousy with a gun that I'm almost certain Molly would have died otherwise...

Possibly the greatest "game" ever, nothing has ever gotten me this involved before.

• Walking Dead episode 4 was a great game, and had a great ending, but the ending could of been better. In my opinion, they should of ended it right before the crew walks up to Lee and he has a choice whether he can show them or not. It should of ending with showing the bite. That would of left us players with so much questions. "Will they amputate it in time?" "Will they still look for Clementine?" "How will the others respond?" Instead, unfortunately, we still have a great ending but it answers too many questions to make episode 5 imperative. Sure we don't know about Clem, but we already know who sides with Lee and that he will in fact die. Unless a character immediately chops off Lees arm in the beginning of episode 5 but unfortunately that probably won't happen :(

• @Freder58 said: I wanted to kill Ben in chapter 3 for what he did, but Clem liked him so I let him stay.

I hear this a lot, and I find it interesting that people will mostly do what Clementine wants even if they disagree. I did the opposite of most people, I guess. I killed both the Saint John brothers in front of her, stole from the car, and even when Clem spoke up for Ben in the classroom I still sided against him. I care about Clem a whole heck of a lot, but I'm going to do what is necessary to keep what's left of the group alive. If that means stealing food, or taking out people that are a danger to us then I'll do it because I feel it must be done in order to survive.

• Awesome episode and one of my fav all time games.

Can't believe Lee is bit though, this is gonna be a bad one leaving Clem.

Got everyone coming to help me, even though Kenny was a bit pissed with me he did back me up and think Ben will come good in this episode.

FD

• @JesseC25 said: This is a FULL review of the entire episode, which I just finished. So MAJOR spoilers!

So when the group arrives in Savannah, they are swarmed by walkers. Ben ends up saving himself instead of helping Clem, but Chuck rescues Clem. Chuck tells everyone to go on and he will catch up with them. The group reaches a house and then Kenny and Lee decide to go look for a boat.

You don't find a boat, and the area with the barricade/dead walkers in the entrance to Crawford. Crawford is very dangerous where only the strong are allowed to live, elderly people/children are killed.

The ninja girl attacks you, her name is actually Molly and she is very very helpful and joins the group. You go into the sewers because you get separated from Kenny, Molly, and Clem, and in the sewers you find dead Chuck.

In the sewers you meet a man named Vernon and his group, Vernon is a doctor and the group are all cancer survivors who escaped Crawford. Vernon is the man that everyone thought walkie-talkie man was (it isn't him, we NEVER see walkie-talkie man, only hear from him at the beginning and the end).

Vernon comes to visit the group and they decide they need to break into Crawford to get supplies, because Clem finds a boat hidden in the shed. They need medicine, fuel, and a battery. You sneak into Crawford where EVERYONE has become a walker. You can choose to bring Clem with you or not, I brought her with me even though everyone told me not to (because the only other option is to leave her with Omid who is not doing well).

In Crawford, I guess there are multiple ways you could go but everyone splits up. I ended up going with Molly to find the battery. We got it and later you go into the nurse area where you watch videos of a doctor talking to this girl telling her she must have an abortion or leave Crawford. She stabs him and escapes (you can tell he wanted to sedate her to rape her). Ben also tells you he wants to tell Kenny the truth. I told him to tell Kenny, because I wanted Ben to die (for abandoning Clem and leading to Carley's death).

When the group is escaping by climbing out of Crawford (Ben is an IDIOT, he pulls the hatchet out of the door which was keeping it closed and then all the walkers get inside) Ben tells Kenny and Kenny SNAPS, you can choose whether you want to let Kenny go at back or hold him back. I held him back because walkers were getting in.

Then when they are finally climbing out, Ben falls back and Lee is holding on to him. I was going to save him but then he kept telling me to let him go. Clem was supporting Ben but I let Ben go because he wanted me to and Carley's death was his fault.

You get back to the house and Clem is very upset, I tried to make her calm (twice) but she ends up crying either way.

Whoever says your choices do not matter is an IDIOT - EVERY SINGLE CHOICE YOU MAKE FROM EP1 to NOW WILL MATTER!!!!

The Morning After, Lee wakes up, Clem is gone. Lee goes looking outside and is attacked by a walker, kills it easily but realizes he is bit. If you hide the bite from the group, Lee will go to look for Clem on his own. This is what I did the first time.

The episode ends and it shows the stats for who goes with you into the next chapter (you can go alone, have Christa and Omid go, go with just Kenny, go with just Ben, or go with everyone or some combination). I went alone (because I hid the bite) but then I did a rewind and showed the bite.

Christa and Omid agreed to come with me. Kenny said no. I asked him to again (I was pro-Lilly until Ep.3, then I was wishy washy with Kenny after) and Kenny said that he will not come with me because I never had his back and he leaves. EVERY decision you make matters, if you are pro-Kenny, Kenny will come with you.

Lee goes into the sewers and hears Clem on the walkie-talkie, the man tells you to choose what you say carefully. You can either cuss him, or plead with him, and I begged him not to hurt Clem.

Then it just says: "TO BE CONTINUED".

There is NO preview for the next episode.

Think about all your decisions very VERY carefully, because Clementine is in serious danger, Lee is bit, and this obviously means he is going to turn and die. The first time I didn't show the bite so I went alone, but then I realized if I find Clem I will turn and she will be in serious danger. So I decided to show the bite and get as many people to come -- Christa and Omid came. At least when I die in ep.5 Clementine will have someone..depending on what happens.

I don't agree that every choice matters. I sided with Kenny from episode 1-4. The only time I disagreed was when he wanted me to help him kill Larry and he refused to help me find Clementine. He said he wasn't sure I would do the same for him if it was the other way around and I had saved his family countless times, I fed his family at every opportunity which he seemed to forget so I ended up telling him to fuck himself out of vexation. Granted I did choke him a bit on the train but that was done out of love. I needed to knock sense into him otherwise he would of got everyone killed. On my second play through I was more pro Lilly and I was able to convince Kenny to come with me to find Clementine by begging him, reminding him she was family. The game makes you think, in the moment when your making your choices that they are big decisions but the game generally plays out the same way apart from when Carly/Doug die in ep 1 since only one of them will be in ep 2 or when Ben isn't saved in ep 4 since he isn't in ep 5 and when you choose to leave Clementines house at night or day time in ep1. That's about 3 experience varying choices over 4 episodes.

• @RaceCarAndyMan said: For everyone talking about how this episode "proves how much choices matter," you can convince everyone (including Kenny and Ben) to come with you to find Clementine no matter how you've interacted with them. You could side against Kenny 100% of the time throughout the whole game and still get him to help.

What?

Sorry, you are wrong. Wrong wrong wrong! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB84c44s1cQ&t=4m10s

If you didn't look after his family enough, Kenny WILL turn you down even if you use the Clem is my family now option.

Add Comment