User Avatar Image

Decisions Going Too Good

posted by Red Panda on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

It's the ZA. It's natural for people to be darker. But in a misguided attempt to balance things, most players are a good guy and that's wrong. It doesn't make sense.

I think the best example for the tone of the game's decisions is the St. John's brothers. A lot of players killed the first one. They didn't kill the second one, Andy, because of Clem guilting them. And I think that's real.

Look, people should be growing darker. When at the end of ep 2 a vast majority of people aren't stealing the food then you've failed as a story teller to convey how dire the situation is b/c no human alive would do that. Our brains won't allow us to starve.

I think the job of the writers should be to try to subtly keep people from growing too dark but as a trend people should be bad if not full blown crazy. There is too many good guys. People should not be so much shocked as hating themselves for the terrible things they've done to survive.

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • even in medieval England you had to pay to go to prison (pay the jailer/gaoler) and if you had no money you had to work for it, it is how it should work really, why should criminals get free food and a roof over their heads when innocent people have to pay (this is more related to now rather than a ZA)

• @Ghositex said: I just rereaded my first post again, I wrote something extremely weird and confusing (I should stay away from Internet forums do late, I just smash my head to the keyboard and post it afterwards lol). I didn't mean that killing is bad. Actually... killing IS bad, sometimes, there's just no other choice. There will be some point <> where we all will have to kill someone, not just to survive (or at least not directly). With "I'd like to die as the guy I was before the zombie outbreak", I meant that I wouldn't want killing (or looting, leaving someone behind, etc..) to change me as a human being.

Rick, in the comics, was wondering if he was a bad guy because of the things he had done. That was enough proof to show that he wasn't a bad guy. Evil people break rules just because they can, they like doing it because it makes them feel better with themselves. The governor, in example, actually enjoyed killing foreigns. (the "TVs" he had are enough proof of this).

I just spared the Brothers because they were no threat anymore, the chances of them surviving were really low, maybe if the farm wasn't getting overrun I would have done something else.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say (I kinda suck at expressing myself) when I said I was trying to retain my humanity! I don't want the ZA to change me (or in that case, Lee) as a human being, I want everyone to remember him as the guy who died without giving in to the temptation of making dark decisions (most of the time, at least). Wheter that's good or bad, it's up to debate.

• @Viser said: Yes, that's what I was trying to say (I kinda suck at expressing myself) when I said I was trying to retain my humanity! I don't want the ZA to change me (or in that case, Lee) as a human being, I want everyone to remember him as the guy who died without giving in to the temptation of making dark decisions (most of the time, at least). Wheter that's good or bad, it's up to debate.

Have you ever had a moment when you questioned if you were a bad guy? I think TellTale should try to push players towards those moments and have them questioning themselves on that level. That's why I'm advocating it get darker.

Like I said, I think it would have been great if Andy killed a group member if you let him live. That would have been smart.

• @Red Panda said: Have you ever had a moment when you questioned if you were a bad guy? I think TellTale should try to push players towards those moments and have them questioning themselves on that level. That's why I'm advocating it get darker.

Like I said, I think it would have been great if Andy killed a group member if you let him live. That would have been smart.

but then it would be like you get a reward for killing people, i don't know whether that would make me feel bad because i would have saved a life by killing someone

• @thestalkinghead said: but then it would be like you get a reward for killing people, i don't know whether that would make me feel bad because i would have saved a life by killing someone

It seems like a no win situation to me.

On one hand, you kill somebody and have to live with people looking at you like a murderer and distrusting you potentially, especially Clem. That's hard. Even if you saved someone's life.

Then again, you let him live and you lose someone you and other's care about. Then you feel guilty for that. His life wasn't worth whomever's he took. Like, if he killed Carley that would be devastating. You let him live and lost someone you care for and you have to live with that.

• @Red Panda said: It seems like a no win situation to me.

On one hand, you kill somebody and have to live with people looking at you like a murderer and distrusting you potentially, especially Clem. That's hard. Even if you saved someone's life.

Then again, you let him live and you lose someone you and other's care about. Then you feel guilty for that. His life wasn't worth whomever's he took. Like, if he killed Carley that would be devastating. You let him live and lost someone you care for and you have to live with that.

soldiers kill people to save lives and i believe they are good people, so really you could look at it as win win, because on one hand you don't kill somebody and are merciful (a good thing) and on the other hand you kill someone and save lives (a good thing)

• @thestalkinghead said: soldiers kill people to save lives and i believe they are good people, so really you could look at it as win win, because on one hand you don't kill somebody and are merciful (a good thing) and on the other hand you kill someone and save lives (a good thing)

Soldiers come back with serious trauma. The suicide rate is crazy. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is common. Killing somebody, even if you think it's for a good cause, is never easy on the mind.

And losing somebody is just as hard.

It's a game so I don't think it will ever get that serious.

I guess the only way to know how people would feel is to have them go through it.

• @Red Panda said: Soldiers come back with serious trauma. The suicide rate is crazy. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is common. Killing somebody, even if you think it's for a good cause, is never easy on the mind.

And losing somebody is just as hard.

It's a game so I don't think it will ever get that serious.

I guess the only way to know how people would feel is to have them go through it.

they train soldiers differently now, they used to emphasise the importance of killing bad people ( but that just makes people wonder if they were bad people) now they emphasise saving lives, that way even killing a good person but for a good reason is a lot easier to live with

• @Red Panda said: It seems like a no win situation to me.

I get what you mean, I wish Carley/Dough got killed by Andy here, rather than having Lilly shoot her/him, if they were going to die anyways. Like, Andy takes you by surprise if you dont kill him, and will throw her/him to the electric fence, and the only way to stop him is to shoot him in the head; then, the "RV Lilly accident" could have taken place later in game, killing Carley/Doug, if you saved them from Andy in the earlier episode.. Just an example, anyway, I think it's too late for TT to let that happen this season, anyway :/

• I have to wonder whether leaving them to be eaten and reanimated as zombies is really more merciful than killing them right there. Granted, you don't kill Danny through the brain so he will probably be stuck to that hay pile forever. Is it crueler to let Andy be turned by his own walker mother? Or are the lives of the living not really our choice to decide whether they live or die? I think that, as mentioned, we can't use an old world morality in this new world. That is why they had to die and that is why I also killed Ben (and would've left Lily but I mostly took her to see what would happen lol)

Add Comment