144 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • heres the thing though, vainamoinen i read your posts earlier( i didnt want to quote here and start a textbook) and i agree to the reasoning why lily would of been a good choice to make a backstory for a minor character canonized through the twd game, and indeed your right, there are not 2 lilys in the comic like you stated, but again i digress. By kirkman having a 2nd lily in the walking dead universe, take away anything from the lily you experience in the walking dead game? Because she doesnt turn out to be the one who shoots lori and judy, does that not make her interesting anymore? She is a well rounded character that you see get reactions from the fanbase, tell tale did a great job at making you care about what she does (thus spurning this whole debate) but the statements im seeing here generally accusing kirkman of crapping on the fanbase is a pretty big overstatement and inaccurate at best. If he were to have officially confirmed her the same character, then did the backstory with the book then i would agree with everyone's statement. However since he made the distinction pretty clear here by making the book very different than twd game's lily, that there are now, infact 2 different lilys in the same universe. Its due to preconceived notions and expectations that theres such reaction to this. Every other character your attached to has zero source material in the comic and you care more about these than i ever did lily. Clementine and lee, carley- all fan favorites never existed in the comic. who cares if its the same lily? That just opens up for new opportunities for them to reintroduce the character if they want because theres no source material for the character

also let it be known im not a kirkman fanboy here, hes licensed the crap out of the walking dead ( theres tons of terrible twd merchandise.. go on amazon.com and ull see) but anything story based involving his characters he doesnt screw around with lightly. as much as people may not like the fact the twd games lily isnt the same, the validity of the canon across mediums is still maintained.

• All I can say is that if he takes it seriously, he should have found a better writer. The books are No Bueno with bad descriptions (Cadillac Escalade as a Muscle Car? Really?), one dimensional characters, etc..

Maybe his target audience is supposed to be much younger though (like 10?)

• This is disappointing. First, I learn about a novel series that differs from the comics. (Which I haven't read. I do watch the show.)
    Then, I find that the new book in that series features one of my favorite characters in the game. Until reading this thread I find out that it doesn't. Really. :(

• I was going to actually buy the book before learning this.... Thanks bro!
    Looks like im going for another 19 years without willingly wanting to read a book lol

• The way i see it is since the tv show & comic are not identical things can change in one that don't happen in either other, so this is just one of those instances where the game just told a different story then the books/comic/tv that's all

• @Zhombre said: heres the thing though, vainamoinen i read your posts earlier( i didnt want to quote here and start a textbook) and i agree to the reasoning why lily would of been a good choice to make a backstory for a minor character canonized through the twd game, and indeed your right, there are not 2 lilys in the comic like you stated, but again i digress. By kirkman having a 2nd lily in the walking dead universe, take away anything from the lily you experience in the walking dead game? Because she doesnt turn out to be the one who shoots lori and judy, does that not make her interesting anymore? She is a well rounded character that you see get reactions from the fanbase, tell tale did a great job at making you care about what she does (thus spurning this whole debate) but the statements im seeing here generally accusing kirkman of crapping on the fanbase is a pretty big overstatement and inaccurate at best. If he were to have officially confirmed her the same character, then did the backstory with the book then i would agree with everyone's statement. However since he made the distinction pretty clear here by making the book very different than twd game's lily, that there are now, infact 2 different lilys in the same universe. Its due to preconceived notions and expectations that theres such reaction to this. Every other character your attached to has zero source material in the comic and you care more about these than i ever did lily. Clementine and lee, carley- all fan favorites never existed in the comic. who cares if its the same lily? That just opens up for new opportunities for them to reintroduce the character if they want because theres no source material for the character

also let it be known im not a kirkman fanboy here, hes licensed the crap out of the walking dead ( theres tons of terrible twd merchandise.. go on amazon.com and ull see) but anything story based involving his characters he doesnt screw around with lightly. as much as people may not like the fact the twd games lily isnt the same, the validity of the canon across mediums is still maintained.

Unfortunately, you're completely wrong. The game Lilly was created as the comic book Lilly because Kirkman gave his permission. Then at some point he realized that Telltale is doing an amazing job with the character and even the players who hated her admitted that she was one of the most interesting characters in the game. Somewhere during that time Kirkman decided to screw with his fanbase again and write a mediocre (probably, based on people's reactions) story about Lilly and completely disregard the one we already had. It wouldn't have been very difficult to tie the book to the game, heck fanfic writers wouldn't have had much trouble doing that.
    That thing is Kirkman doesn't care. He thinks he's cool when he fucks up with the fans. Thing is, he doesn't realize that there is a certain line which even he shouldn't cross.
    I'm 100% positive this book would've sold much much better had this been the same Lilly as the one we love from the game.

• Yeah, his narcissism is somewhat annoying.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@YamiRaziel said: Then at some point he realized that Telltale is doing an amazing job with the character and even the players who hated her admitted that she was one of the most interesting characters in the game. Somewhere during that time Kirkman decided to [...] write a mediocre (probably, based on people's reactions) story about Lilly and completely disregard the one we already had.

THAT is fiction.

But I AM glad that no Glenn backstory novel is on the horizon for some reason...

• YamiRaziel I agree with what you said, I think I have mentioned this before but it's worse that Kirkman hasn't even done a statement or even acknowledged this.

Add Comment