User Avatar Image

Stuff that reminds you of the old Lucasarts games

posted by Teeth on - last edited - Viewed by 183 users

There are a few things in the games that seem reminiscient of Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, etc. if you saw or heard anything in the new Sam and Max games that reminded you of these classics, list them here!

Obviously, don't mention deliberate references to the old games ("I can only hold my breath for 9 minutes!" "Did you just get deja vu?" etc)

For me, the "Messing with the Soda Poppers" theme reminds me of Laverne's theme in Day of the Tentacle (which plays when you select her, put the White-Out stuff on the fence, tempt the cat with the toy mouse etc). The music that plays in Stinky's 1980 is reminiscient of Maniac Mansion (though that's probably just because of the extreme 80's-ness present in the game) and the River Styx music reminds me of the tunnel theme from Monkey Island 2's last chapter. (though everyone mentions that)

11 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Teeth said: There are a few things in the games that seem reminiscient of Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, etc. if you saw or heard anything in the new Sam and Max games that reminded you of these classics, list them here!

    Obviously, don't mention deliberate references to the old games ("I can only hold my breath for 9 minutes!" "Did you just get deja vu?" etc)

    For me, the "Messing with the Soda Poppers" theme reminds me of Laverne's theme in Day of the Tentacle (which plays when you select her, put the White-Out stuff on the fence, tempt the cat with the toy mouse etc). The music that plays in Stinky's 1980 is reminiscient of Maniac Mansion (though that's probably just because of the extreme 80's-ness present in the game) and the River Styx music reminds me of the tunnel theme from Monkey Island 2's last chapter. (though everyone mentions that)




    I must say that those games you are talking about "The Classics" so to say
    is sad to see that they aren't made anymore even in the year 2000.

    But Sam & Max have had the strength and will to return thanks to Telltale Games. ;)

  • Somehow, I actually found Sam & Max Hit the Road a bit dull compared to Abe Lincoln Must Die. Maybe it's just because I'm new to the series or I was negative two years old when HtR was released.

    Anyway, in HtR, when you look at the Snuckey's employee, Sam exclaims, "He's a real soda jerk." Then 13 years later the Soda Poppers appear. Coinsidence?

  • Ok this is nothing to do with the new Sam and Max games but Pirates of the Caribbean always reminds me of Monkey Island, quirky, random pirate, the music, settings, humour etc, my mum always says it must have been partly based on the game.

  • It was, Harley.

    For added fun, look at the Pirates movies and see how many MI references you can find. You'll be amazed!

  • It was? I thought it was so alike but I wasn't sure if the Disney company and writers would have been aware of the game. Not many are over here anyway.

  • Hmm, wasn't MI inspired by the PotC Ride at Disney Land?

  • @Sp0tted said: It was, Harley.

    For added fun, look at the Pirates movies and see how many MI references you can find. You'll be amazed!



    Will Turner = Guybrush
    Elizabeth Swan = Elaine
    Davey Jones = Squid Pirate LeChuck

    They're the true Monkey Island movies! :D

  • @Mirko said: Hmm, wasn't MI inspired by the PotC Ride at Disney Land?



    Apparently it was, I look it up earlier.

  • Something I noticed about Season 1 and HtR.

    In htr and episode 103 are wack da ratz games.
    Even the number of rats you have to hit to win is the same.

  • Ah, all wonderful classics that were great plays. I miss them a lot, especially Monkey Island. My favorite was Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge.

Add Comment