User Avatar Image

Help me to learn English Like a native

posted by N7. on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

Hi, I would like to learn English but in our country and in our schools they really don't teach us English! just a little about grammatical rules :( I learned a little by myself ! but still I have some problems

I just need you guys come here some times and help me to find out some of my questions about this language

thanks

186 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Aborting something means that you're being forced to stop doing it for some reason. "We have to abort" is another way of saying "We have to stop".

  • User Avatar Image
    N7.

    You help me again, thanks again :o
    The English language is really sweet

  • Abort means more than just stop, though. It usually means you had plans, but something changed, and now you can't do them anymore. When a pilot aborts, it means something has happened so that the pilot cannot continue as planned. (Maybe one of the plane's engines failed, and the pilot now has to land as soon as possible.)

    Abort usually means stop, but you can stop without aborting. If the pilot arrives as planned and stops the airplane, we don't say he aborted.

  • User Avatar Image
    N7.

    Thanks then abort is something that doesn't going as planned and should be stop

    I have four more questions

    1- What is the meaning of "call off" in bottom sentence ?
    "They had to call off the airstrike"

    2- What does "You're a trailblazer" mean ?

    3- What is the meaning of this sentence ? ""Had" being the operative word "

    4- And last question is that What does "Step on it" mean ?

  • @N7. said: Thanks then abort is something that doesn't going as planned and should be stop

    I have four more questions

    1- What is the meaning of "call off" in bottom sentence ?
    "They had to call off the airstrike"

    2- What does "You're a trailblazer" mean ?

    3- What is the meaning of this sentence ? ""Had" being the operative word "

    4- And last question is that What does "Step on it" mean ?

    1. "Call off" is used in a very similar way as "abort". It means we were going to do something but can't do it any more so have to cancel. In the airstrike context, it implies that a higher ranking person is doing the canceling.

    2. A trailblazer is another word for a pioneer, an explorer. So when we say someone's a trailblazer, it's like saying that they're adventurous and trying something brand new.

    3. This one's a bit tricky. It usually would be associated with another sentence. Then "'Had' being the operative word." would be an emphasis on the fact that something in the previous sentence only was a thing of the past and not necessarily true now.

    4. "Step on it" refers to stepping on the gas pedal of a vehicle. So it basically means "drive faster" or in broader usage "do anything faster".

  • @Chyron8472 said: From what I've been told, the best way to learn the language is to read books. Sometimes, even if you don't know the exact definition of a word, you can often discern (or recognize) what a general idea of the definition might be from the context of the word (or the sentence/paragraph around the word).

    The best way to learn vocabulary after you've gained a certain level of proficiency in the language is certainly to read books. It is not a good way to learn to speak a language though -- it is a separate skill.

    From my personal experience as a second language teacher and learner, I would say that the best way to start learning a language is to listen to it a lot, even if you don't really understand. Getting used to the phonetic patterns of a language will make things a lot easier to understand as you go along. Sadly, there's really no substitute for experience, although you could probably gain a decent level of proficiency at reading/writing just from being on the internet a lot, actually speaking is a slightly different matter.

  • User Avatar Image
    N7.

    @Alcoremortis said: 1. "Call off" is used in a very similar way as "abort". It means we were going to do something but can't do it any more so have to cancel. In the airstrike context, it implies that a higher ranking person is doing the canceling.

    2. A trailblazer is another word for a pioneer, an explorer. So when we say someone's a trailblazer, it's like saying that they're adventurous and trying something brand new.

    3. This one's a bit tricky. It usually would be associated with another sentence. Then "'Had' being the operative word." would be an emphasis on the fact that something in the previous sentence only was a thing of the past and not necessarily true now.

    4. "Step on it" refers to stepping on the gas pedal of a vehicle. So it basically means "drive faster" or in broader usage "do anything faster".

    Thanks, Clear and useful :)

  • @KuroShiro said: The best way to learn vocabulary after you've gained a certain level of proficiency in the language is certainly to read books. It is not a good way to learn to speak a language though -- it is a separate skill.

    One thing to keep in mind, N7, is that speaking and writing are different in how sentence structure is normally accepted.

    Again, this is a public forum, so we often will write how we would speak--and also there are quite a lot of people here for whom English is their primary language, yet they have no idea how to use proper spelling and grammar.

    My point is that learning proper sentence structure is important. It's much more important in writing than in speaking. When speaking, we may often use phrases and half-sentences instead of complete sentences. The reasons why I say this are because using proper sentence structure, grammar and spelling when writing will greatly help you to sound more competent, and will almost certainly help you to get a better job.

  • User Avatar Image
    N7.

    thanks, I'm back again with more questions, sorry if it's much

    1- What does "Shroud" mean in following sentence ?
    Getting to that Shroud is all that matters
    (that's what Wrex told Shepard about the building that was genophage cause!)

    2- What does "We made it back outside" mean ?

    3- What is the meaning of "You're looking at hope"

    4- What does "Given a chance" mean in following sentence ?
    This was once a world full of beauty. Given a chance, it can be again

    5- What is the difference between "tremor" and "quake" ?

    6- When should we use "preoccupied" and what is the difference with "busy" ?

    7- What does "Break off" mean in following sentence ?
    Break off! We're getting out of here

    8- What does "Shake" mean in following sentence ?
    We'll try to shake this thing and find you!

    Sorry if it's a bit much

  • 1) "Getting to that shroud is all that matters". A shroud is an actual item, used to cover or protect something.

    2) "We've made it back outside" means that the group has managed to safely exit the building (or wherever they were).

    3) "You're looking at hope" - I don't know.

    4) "The was once a world full of beauty. Given a chance, it can be again". The world used to be beautiful, but for whatever reason it no longer is. When a character says 'given a chance', he means that, if people were to try, then the world could be beautiful again.

    5) The difference between "tremor" and "quake" is that a tremor is a fairly small event - usually not causing any damage - while a quake, which is sort for earthquake, is a massive event, causing a huge amount of destruction.

    6) If someone is "Preoccupied", then it means that someone is busy with something. There's not a lot of difference between the two words.

    7) "Break off!" in this case means 'stop what you're doing!'.

    8) To "shake" someone to to try and stop them from following you.

Add Comment