User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 5.2K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Has anybody seen the last South Park episode?

  • The screenwriter of Toy Story 3 made a 50 page treatment, and is working on a script for 7. Then it's rumored to pass the desks of Brad Bird, JJ Abrams, and Steven Spielberg, among others. It's also rumored to include Luke, Han, and Leia.

    Source

    BIG SURPRISE. Oh, and that talk of giving Star Wars to FRESH blood...haha of course they didn't MEAN THAT.

  • @ryannumber1gamer said: So what? Hasbro is already planning a Hungry Hungry Hippos movie. We even have a thread for it on the Telltale fourms.

    Hungry Hungry Hippos movie thread:http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35322



    So what? Disney would own My little pony, that's what.

  • @GaryCXJk said: And the problem would be?



    With the exception of "Gravity Falls," the Disney Channel's current line-up is a bunch of crappy, half-baked, live-action sitcoms. I don't think it would be fair to subject the Hub's current line-up to co-mingling with that sort of garbage. (Not to knock GF or anything. That show is actually good.)

  • @Friar said: So what? Disney would own My little pony, that's what.


    lol-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-2My Little Sith Pony
    Just sayin...

  • Dang..now if Disney buys 'D.C.' then they'll own 3 of my favorite franchises.

  • @StrongBrush1 said: With the exception of "Gravity Falls," the Disney Channel's current line-up is a bunch of crappy, half-baked, live-action sitcoms. I don't think it would be fair to subject the Hub's current line-up to co-mingling with that sort of garbage. (Not to knock GF or anything. That show is actually good.)



    You seem to forget that a good deal also considers Phineas and Ferb a good show. In fact, it's only on this forums I see somewhat hate against it.

  • @GaryCXJk said: You seem to forget that a good deal also considers Phineas and Ferb a good show. In fact, it's only on this forums I see somewhat hate against it.



    Well, I haven't really watched Phineas and Ferb, so I wouldn't know.

  • @Secret Fawful said: The screenwriter of Toy Story 3 made a 50 page treatment, and is working on a script for 7. Then it's rumored to pass the desks of Brad Bird, JJ Abrams, and Steven Spielberg, among others. It's also rumored to include Luke, Han, and Leia.

    Source

    BIG SURPRISE. Oh, and that talk of giving Star Wars to FRESH blood...haha of course they didn't MEAN THAT.



    The whole thing of there already being a script treatment really seems...off. Very off. Sticking it in the rumor bin for now.

    Now, my thoughts if this IS true? Good. Great choices for directors. Brad Bird directed two of my favorite animated sci-fi movies(The Iron Giant and The Incredibles), and considering his work with Star Trek, JJ Abrams could probably give the stodgy old franchise the boost it needs. Spielberg...as much as I love the guy, he's too friendly with Lucas to really bring anything NEW to the table. Star Wars needs something big to make the fans want to see it again as well as bring in yet another generation. Personally, I would go with JJ. Not only is he a big Star Wars fan, but he's also a fan of "make it as real as possible" film-making. Good example, with Star Trek, they didn't have enough money for a set for the engine room. He could've gone the Lucas route and just made a CGI set, but instead, he chose a location and dressed it up. Same with the stuff on Vulcan. Used locations and sets, resorting to CGI when needed.

Add Comment