User Avatar Image

What's the more human thing to do in this series?

posted by Joshua1991 on - last edited - Viewed by 606 users

What do you think is the more human thing to do in this series? As a person with morals etc. have you

-Killed Larry with Kenny (Ep 2)
-Sacrificed Ben (Ep 4)

done any of this in the game?

104 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Larry was dead anyways.
    As soon as he grabbed his chest i knew that we were way too far from the motor inn, and way too close to these cannibals for him to come out of that locker a survivor. And two heart attacks in 2 episodes, this couldve been a theme in the next couple of episodes
    Episode 3: Larry- The bandits are att........... thump.
    Lee- Damnit not this again
    Then in episode 4 Omid could've had a roomate

  • @HelloCthulhu said:


    How unclear is it when you say "if anything happens to clementine while I'm gone it is your ass." And then HE LOSES HER?!


    When he gets called upstairs to help a man with a broken leg and Clem had promised to stay in the house while Lee was out?

    Clementine was to blame, not Ben. She chose to sneak out when she had the chance. Ben's only fault there was to trust that she'd respect Lee's wishes.

    Again - Ben gets blamed for the actions of others. It's not incompetence, just another honest mistake that anyone could make. What's he supposed to do? Say no to Christa when she asks for his help because he has to sit in a room and watch a girl. Then get accused of using Clem as an excuse for not doing anything?

    Beyond that - that's still no reason to let him die.

  • @Evinshir said: When he gets called upstairs to help a man with a broken leg and Clem had promised to stay in the house while Lee was out?

    Clementine was to blame, not Ben. She chose to sneak out when she had the chance. Ben's only fault there was to trust that she'd respect Lee's wishes.

    Again - Ben gets blamed for the actions of others. It's not incompetence, just another honest mistake that anyone could make. What's he supposed to do? Say no to Christa when she asks for his help because he has to sit in a room and watch a girl. Then get accused of using Clem as an excuse for not doing anything?

    Beyond that - that's still no reason to let him die.


    as if that is the first time he has fucked up...and I mean royally. Reallly, you are with a group of survivors and you see an axe in the door holding it closed...you pick it up? You are with a little girl and you have a gun and you leave her to the zombies? Despite being told implicitly that telling kenny would be a bad fucking idea at this time, and after he says he understands you...he does it anyway at the worst fucking time?

  • Nobody told Ben not to remove the axe from the door handles holding back the herd of Zs? Really? ' 'cause he's not a child & if he so incapable of making critical observations then he's not worth having in the group or risking anyones skin for.
    What value has he brought to the group? What does Ben bring to the table? I you hadnt happened along on him and his party of misfits he would have died in the forest with them. So other than a disaster looking to happen and another mouth to feed what use is he to anyones survival , keeping in mind this isnt normal modern polite society..
    Its the diff between Ricks, Shanes & the Govenors style of leadership, and youll notice how Rick becomes less.his "lawful good" self as time goes on and he adapts to the world of a ZA.

  • No, and no.

    Though, looking back, saving Larry was impractical.

    If I ran it again, I'd be first in line to give him a salt-lick transplant.

  • @Malphaxis said: Nobody told Ben not to remove the axe from the door handles holding back the herd of Zs? Really? ' 'cause he's not a child & if he so incapable of making critical observations then he's not worth having in the group or risking anyones skin for.
    What value has he brought to the group? What does Ben bring to the table? I you hadnt happened along on him and his party of misfits he would have died in the forest with them. So other than a disaster looking to happen and another mouth to feed what use is he to anyones survival , keeping in mind this isnt normal modern polite society..
    Its the diff between Ricks, Shanes & the Govenors style of leadership, and youll notice how Rick becomes less.his "lawful good" self as time goes on and he adapts to the world of a ZA.



    I feel that being in a zombie apocalypse is even more reason to value every life. Measuring people by their "value" is a sure fire way to guarantee you don't survive. The whole point we developed a modern polite society is because humanity as a species worked out early on that loners don't last long. If you devalue people, they will devalue you. Which means they are more likely to let you die. How you treat your weakest is a measure of how well you will be treated at your weakest moment.

    I'd save Ben every time.

  • Ben: The kid has been a complete screw-up since Day 1. Even if he was too scared to talk to Kenny or Lilly he had no excuse to not talk to Lee and frankly, in the ZA, you shouldn't be giving away supplies, let alone medicine, without the consent of the group. Due to there being an unknown thief in the group, Lilly grew more paranoid, the bandits attack anyway while the group is unprepared after the supplies are found, Duck, Katjaa, and Carley/Doug die, Kenny loses his family, and you lose all the supplies and medicine you had to leave behind in the motel. Then Chuck dies because Ben is too much a coward to shoot a few walkers and too panicky to grab Clem's hand when he runs. Then he gets a snarky attitude for the first half of Ep. 4 even though he can't do his one job which is to keep an eye on Clem and tries to talk back when Lee gets rightfully upset after Clem shows up in the street where you're fighting Molly and again when she disappears before the boat is found. Finally, Crawford, Brie dies, and the whole group could've died if things went just a little worse all because Ben takes a hatchet that is clearly barring the only door that's between you and the walkers. Even if you don't know that there are walkers in the building, you know there are walkers outside, and you shouldn't remove what's blocking the only door between your group and the walkers without even checking with anyone else first. On the plus side, Ben's just a naive, generally good-natured, timid, dumb-as-bricks kid which unfortunately doesn't make the people that die due to him any less dead. By the end of Ep. 4 getting rid of Ben is no longer a matter of morality, IMO, it's just good sense. I'd give him to Vernon instead, if I had a choice, but I didn't.

    Larry: Since I know CPR alone doesn't really work for heart attack victims now, there's only 1 valid choice, IMO, since Larry coming back as a walker is more a matter of when than if. And when Larry comes back, if the group is still in the meat-locker, Lee and Kenny alone won't be able to beat Walker Larry and it will result in everyone in that room dying.

  • TO evin and other i saved ben group members..

    What are you smokin ?

    so regardless of how many times ben has caused death you'd keep him with you ?

    as i pointed out in one of my threads, link here http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37857

    seriously common sense is extinct..

    So saving every life no matter the pro's and cons of the choice is frankly mind boggling.

    survivor a) oh look a guy with an arm trapped needs help lets save him

    result of a) he dies from blood loss, turns and bites the nurse/medic,

    result a2) the medic then needs help from a less qualified person

    result a3) the medic suffers the same fate as result a

    this cycle repeats till someone with a half a brain puts the walkers down/ leaves the camp.

    thats pretty much what bens done.

    larry was an asshole and was a ticking time bomb once his meds ran out.

    regardless of who 'needed' ben more, ben made lee a deal to protect clem, he decided a guy with a bad leg was more important. when he's already shown how useless he is why would christa rely on him ? true it's abit messy and gory to involve clem but she'd be way more usefull.

    to save everyone is noble and shows morale fibre and your humanity and the 'future generations' would be proud BUT if there's no one left to tell your story because all the stupid people killed your group..your story ends....

    so i'll close this statment with two outcomes:

    if ben survives and becomes a hero and doesn't cause any more death = makes dropping him stupid and makes a mockery of the character's basic premise in that he's an idiot.

    if ben dies like the stupid bitch he is with more deaths caused by his naivity = i will laugh my man boobs off to the point where they reach orbit and are shot down as ufo's

  • @Milosuperspesh said: to save everyone is noble and shows morale fibre and your humanity and the 'future generations' would be proud BUT if there's no one left to tell your story because all the stupid people killed your group..your story ends....



    And thats it in a nutshell.
    You do have such a uniquely eloquent way of slicing through the minutia you word smith you. :cool:

  • @Milosuperspesh said:
    to save everyone is noble and shows morale fibre and your humanity and the 'future generations' would be proud BUT if there's no one left to tell your story because all the stupid people killed your group..your story ends....

    so i'll close this statment with two outcomes:

    if ben survives and becomes a hero and doesn't cause any more death = makes dropping him stupid and makes a mockery of the character's basic premise in that he's an idiot.



    Except that isn't his basic premise. His basic premise is that he's a teenager seriously out of his depth trying to survive an apocalypse. YOU have made the assumption that he's an idiot.

    I, however, give TTG more credit than making their characters one note stereotypes. So if Ben does just end up being stupid, I will be surprised. Because that isn't how he has been represented in the actual game. That is just how some people have chosen to interpret his character.

    Edit: You also make a fundamental flaw in your argument by assuming that sticking to your morals guarantees death. The point is, if you have reason to believe that someone WILL get you killed, then you find a way to not put them in those situations. You don't make them the leader, you don't give them the riskiest job. You work with them and help them get over their shortcomings. THAT's how you survive. Not by killing them off.

Add Comment