48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, if they are giving the license to anyone... I would give Monkey Island to Ron Gilbert, at least license it out to him, so he could make MI3. Then maybe back to Telltale, to continue ToMI. Or even better, have TTG have MI license, then make MI3 with Ron Gilbert? :P

Grim Fandango and Full Throttle should go to Tim, as those were his babies and who knows what he should do with them?

Maybe Maniac Mansion/Dott, Zak, Indy, Loom, The Dig could go to TTG?

Regarding canceled projects, I'd love to see Full Throttle: Payback at one point. Gorgeous game.

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@jannar85 said: Well, if they are giving the license to anyone... I would give Monkey Island to Ron Gilbert, at least license it out to him, so he could make MI3. Then maybe back to Telltale, to continue ToMI. Or even better, have TTG have MI license, then make MI3 with Ron Gilbert? :P

Ron has already said before that he wouldn't make his Monkey Island game through licensing. Either he owns the IP (so he can do what he wants and there's no publisher saying what he can and can't do with the property) or he won't be making his Monkey Island 3. Licenses are just temporary things, and whoever holds the IP still ultimately calls the shots.

Best-case-scenario at this point is that Monkey Island is licensed out to Telltale again so they can make ToMI2.

• Am I the only one who doesn't want Ron get full control of the MI license?

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. He's responsible for one of my most favourite game series of all times. But, let's face it, the series has moved on. I'm afraid that with full control Ron may go all Lucas on the series in a goal to bring it back to the 'original vision'. I don't want that. Let him create new and awesome games and IPs.

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@Farlander said: Am I the only one who doesn't want Ron get full control of the MI license?

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. He's responsible for one of my most favourite game series of all times. But, let's face it, the series has moved on. I'm afraid that with full control Ron may go all Lucas on the series in a goal to bring it back to the 'original vision'. I don't want that. Let him create new and awesome games and IPs.

I'm sort of mixed on the idea of Ron getting it back. I know that he wants to bring closure to the series, and to make his Monkey Island game he said he'll have to undo some of the events of the games he didn't make (he apparently has an idea on how to do that without using the old "it was all a dream" crap). I'd like to see his Monkey Island, but at the same time, I don't want those non-Ron Monkey Island games I loved so much to be basically invalidated.

• Here's a crazy idea--a feature-length Monkey Island film, by Disney, with story input from Ron Gilbert/Tim Schafer. I'd watch that.

• @Lambonius said: Here's a crazy idea--a feature-length Monkey Island film, by Disney, with story input from Ron Gilbert/Tim Schafer. I'd watch that.

I'd love to see that too, but it's unlikey.

Disney already got "Pirates of the Caribbean", why they would make another pirate film franchise?

• @Lambonius said: Here's a crazy idea--a feature-length Monkey Island film, by Disney, with story input from Ron Gilbert/Tim Schafer. I'd watch that.

I'd rather have on by Pixar... but they only create their own IPs.

• @Laserschwert said: I'd rather have on by Pixar... but they only create their own IPs.

Did they actually say that?

• @M. Pinillos said: I'd love to see that too, but it's unlikey.

Disney already got "Pirates of the Caribbean", why they would make another pirate film franchise?

Why wouldn't they?

• @M. Pinillos said: I'd love to see that too, but it's unlikey.

Yeah, but the two would be pretty different. Pirates is tonally very different from any Monkey Island game. A great Monkey Island film would be animated and more purely comedic than the Pirates films. I could see it being amazing if done right.

Add Comment