User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 9.4K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GaryCXJk said: I'd like to see M. Night Shyamalan, Michael Bay or Uwe Boll do it.

Shyamalan= Han Solo turns out to be Luke Skywalker's real sister.
    Bay= Explosions every five seconds, and Luke Skywalker is a giant robot. And Lando dies in the middle of the opening crawl.
    Boll= The first actual bomb in the Star Wars saga.

• Oscar-winning writer Michael Arndt, who penned Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine will write the screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII.

http://www.starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

• @GaryCXJk said: I'd like to see M. Night Shyamalan, Michael Bay or Uwe Boll do it.

God no. Just... No. Bay is an idiot.

then again, I'm not that excited for another 3 star wars movies. I just feel like Lucas kind of ruined it with the last three. Even though I liked them... It just wasn't the same. Maybe someone will pull it out of the hat.

I just don't see how they will cast them or where they will pull material from to make a new cast, or.. any of it.

• @GaryCXJk said: I'd like to see M. Night Shyamalan

Well he does have experience ruining childhood memories thanks to The Last Airbender...

• I read the news about this... Does this mean the fall of LucasArts? I could compare this event to the Fall of Constantinople...

• @pheeph said: I read the news about this... Does this mean the fall of LucasArts? I could compare this event to the Fall of Constantinople...

Oh great, you got this song stuck in my head.

• @pheeph said: I read the news about this... Does this mean the fall of LucasArts? I could compare this event to the Fall of Constantinople...

That depends on your perspective. Most think LucasArts fell back when they stopped making games that weren't Star Wars/Indiana Jones.

I personally think LucasArts fell after cancelling Battlefront 3 and firing pretty much everyone that was involved with The Force Unleashed and its sequel. They have consistently been ignoring the game franchises that have made them the most money. Battlefront, The Force Unleashed, Rogue Squadron.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Jon Favreau, J.J. Abrams, Joss Whedon. Sadly, Joss will be far too busy with Avengers 2, and J.J. basically said that he's excited, but more to see it than make it. Favreau seemed open to it though.

Oh fez,I hate every single suggestion you made. Jon Favreau isn't actually an interesting director. Cowboys and Aliens was friggin horrible. J J Abrams is typical and Whedon would make it feel like a TV plot. Well, Whedon is the most competent choice, and Abrams isn't bad, but he'd be too predictable. I want something special.I want a director I can't immediately tell what they'd do. I only liked Spielberg because I feel he deserves the chance if he wanted it. My personal pick now is Duncan Jones. I don't know what he would do, but I have compete faith in him.

• Whedon would probably do a pretty good job, but we've already seen his take on Star Wars. It was called Firefly.

• As ya said Fawful, Abrams would do very well(look at what he did for Trek), but also would be very predictable. And I think he's pretty much taken himself off the table. I guess muckin about with one enormous sci-fi universe is enough for him.

And Whedon would be good, but he'll also be way too busy to take on Star Wars. As much as I love Whedon and would love to see how he'd reinvigorate Star Wars, I'd rather see The Avengers 2.

Add Comment