User Avatar Image

When will Fables be released?

posted by Eduardo on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/telltales-walking-dead-game-going-gold-soon-fables-planned-for-q3/

In related news, Connors also offered me an update on the progress of Telltale’s work on an adventure game adaptation of Bill Willingham’s Fables comic book series. It’s still very much happening and it’s actually a lot further along than you might think. The recent focus of Telltale’s press campaigning has not surprisingly been on The Walking Dead, but we’ll be seeing Fables very soon. In fact, the plan is to launch the game this year in Q3.

Expect to see Fables makes its first appearance at or around E3, with another look to follow, appropriately enough, at San Diego Comic-Con in July. Connors told me that there’s still some question as to what the title will be, as Fables fall close to a certain other, familiar franchise. The developer set Fables for a Q1 2012 release in an announcement early last year (via Joystiq), but it seems that those plans have changed.

62 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think a December release for fables episode 1 wold be perfect..even if episode 2 came a few months later at least it would get everyone into the game over the holidays

• Eh, not sure if it'll be that soon. They would have shown a screenshot or two as hints before it is released.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@WanderDreamer said: Eh, not sure if it'll be that soon. They would have shown a screenshot or two as hints before it is released.

This would be true in any case if Telltale were a company with one release every year, but special circumstances apply to their their episodic concept. There might already be screenshots and even videos around for presentation, but they might be held back to not get in the way of the continuous release of The Walking Dead. I also don't think we'll have a first episode by December, but don't rule out the possibility too quickly.

The Wallace & Gromit Season concluded on July 29th, 2009;
    Tales of Monkey Island started 22 days earlier.

The announcement, however, had already been made and screenshots were shown.

If I really really had to guess, I'd say early March. ;)

• They've been working on Fables for over a year though? You are telling me they haven't finished one episode??

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Sure. Concepts can go for any length before a programming stage is even remotely considered (see Beyond Good & Evil 2 for an extreme example).

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

It takes a long time to create a game. Even more-so considering Telltale does multiple releases in a year, and they're still a medium sized company at only around 100 employees for the entire company.

If the process is still the same as it was when Jurassic Park was released, future projects are developed with a small team, and then when the current game has been released, some people split off to join the next project in the pipeline and other people split off to join other future projects.

I've never been involved in developing an episodic game, but judging from experience in helping to develop retail games (to which Telltale's overall seasons are comparable), depending when it's going to be released, it's likely either at the beta stage or the prototype stage now. I'm sure they have the season arc set in stone by now, and probably have the script for episode one done (or at the very least, mostly done). As far as the game itself, they probably have the basics up and running, like the engine, and some placeholder art (or maybe even some final or near-final art if they're only months away from release). Sound-wise, Jared's likely at least got some scratch tracks done for the music. If it's releasing in the next few months, he might even have recorded the final (or near-final) tracks by now.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

OH GOD if Jared can do TDP's music miracle again... and Fables has ample opportunity for some epic cross-genre tunes... this could be wonderful.

But I do think he probably hasn't yet started. TWD binds him in more capacities than just composer.

• Mike Stemmle was on this forum a year ago talking about voice acting so I'd expect they'd be further along.. They have separate teams at Telltale too, so I don't think they would have been doing nothing for the last 12 months. They are separate to the walking dead team.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Hero1 said: Mike Stemmle was on this forum a year ago talking about voice acting so I'd expect they'd be further along.. They have separate teams at Telltale too, so I don't think they would have been doing nothing for the last 12 months. They are separate to the walking dead team.

If you're referring to this thread, you're looking too far into it. It was a thread for fun, no different than if a regular fan posted it. He was talking about fan wishes for popular actors to liven things up in the forum. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as how the team structure works at Telltale, like I said above, it was revealed during the time that Jurassic Park was in development that the team for a future project starts small and then grows once the current game finishes up.

As to why a game can still be in the prototype stage a year after it was announced to be in production, look at it this way: they have 100 employees (give or take), and they have 5 probable projects going on now (The Walking Dead, Fables, King's Quest, The Walking Dead Season Two, and Back to the Future Season Two). So, in the best case scenario, that's 20 people per team. However, the latest project (The Walking Dead) has more people on it (and so it should). So, if you figure that the current team has 40 people working on it, that leaves 15 people per team for the other projects. Now, when you consider that some of this staff includes the website developers, IT people, lawyers, business managers, and other non-gaming-related staff, that leaves the teams even smaller. So, you're probably looking at closer to 10 to 12 people per team for the future projects.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Sooo... this is a mod thread right now? :cool:

Add Comment