User Avatar Image

Hey, Um, What About Us?

posted by Störtebeker on - last edited - Viewed by 524 users

While the games on gog are drm-free knows anyone if Telltale maybe will also make the games drm-free here? Last time I searched the forum for this topic I had the feeling that there wasn't any plans nor some large demand for such a move.

I know that some or maybe all the free cd-versions are drm-free, but to avoid the shipping costs I would really prefer the same for the digital versions.

84 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • All i want is a S&M Season 4 and Season 2 of Monkey Island...Maybe Season 2 of Strong Bad & Wallace & Gromit. But i fear any adventure games from TTG is going to have QTE's in it in someway.

• Who says Telltale won't just make a straight up Real Time Strategy game, or, gasp, a First Person Shooter?

ToMI 2: the FPS Game. Make it happen.

• @GaryCXJk said: Who says Telltale won't just make a straight up Real Time Strategy game, or, gasp, a First Person Shooter?

Yeah and next we can make a second Wallace & Gromit game with dancing.

• Naw, it was better at some points. There was talk of Strong Bad during Sam & Max, JP when BTTF was coming out--Wallace and Gromit releases even overlapped with ToMI.
    In terms of Fables, it seems like something I could get into more than WD, but I've heard nothing but the original announcement and the wikipedia page saying it would come out by the (now passed) 3rd quarter of this year. Some early-stage concept art would hit the spot for either that or KQ. QTE or not, I'm just interested in hearing about an IP that isn't WD. I'm sure they have a reason for hiring marketing and press people even though the blog goes for weeks at a time without the tiniest update, but I haven't for the lfe of me been able to figure it out.

• @HappyCoincidence said: I'm sure they have a reason for hiring marketing and press people even though the blog goes for weeks at a time without the tiniest update, but I haven't for the lfe of me been able to figure it out.

I ask the same question about the website development people and why they can't bother to increase security against spambots. The reason for this is not because they're too busy on the new website. Building a new site might take weeks (or months, in TTG's case), but implementing e-mail confirmation for new accounts and making the human-verification part of the account registration form more effective takes an hour at most.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@HappyCoincidence said:
    In terms of Fables, it seems like something I could get into more than WD, but I've heard nothing but the original announcement and the wikipedia page saying it would come out by the (now passed) 3rd quarter of this year. Some early-stage concept art would hit the spot for either that or KQ. QTE or not, I'm just interested in hearing about an IP that isn't WD. I'm sure they have a reason for hiring marketing and press people even though the blog goes for weeks at a time without the tiniest update, but I haven't for the lfe of me been able to figure it out.

Yup, they're hiring marketing/press people. What some of you might not have seen is that some of old press people have left during the last months. The new guys will need a while to fill that vacuum.

But I'm on your side in many respects here. It was the most disappointing Halloween blog entry for Telltale since time memorial. Remember how they posted their costumes some years ago? Remember the Halloween contests, announced WEEKS before the fact, year after year? Remember the Halloween store discounts, sometimes calendars full of them? And this is not "due to TWD" - I can not imagine an IP more suited for a massive Halloween blog promotion. Which was just missing.

Whatever franchise is next or after, I'd want the informative and fun nature of the blog restored, and most of all, the tarnished honor of the Telltale store revived.

@HappyCoincidence said: Who says Telltale won't just make a straight up Real Time Strategy game, or, gasp, a First Person Shooter?

You're needlessly going nightmare here. Telltale is looking for new NARRATIVE horizons, so the direction naturally wouldn't be RTS or FPS. But who says Telltale won't just make a straight up Action Adventure or Roleplaying Game? Think about it.

• For what it's worth, I personally think that TWD is easily hands down the best story-telling Telltale has ever done, the meat of the gameplay is in your choices and the impact they have, rather than "use gun on cheese".

• @Chyron8472 said: So what you're saying is that their primary schtick for encouraging people to buy games directly from them instead of through a third-party takes too much effort and would cost less to go without.

What you're doing wrong is assuming that people who buy directly from their website are important at all to them. Their margins are probably better here, but it's obvious when you look at recent developments(like deluxe boxed packages being exclusive to Gamestop) that their demographics have shifted to the type of person who picks up boxes at retail stores, buys from major console downloadable portals(XBLA, PSN, even Steam), and that at this point the Telltale store is more of a legacy hang-on that is little more than an afterthought. They're not selling adventure games to the type of person who might actually know what Sam and Max: Hit the Road was anymore, the audience they're milking is far larger and a personal approach just doesn't work.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Given their expanding market (and sales), it's hard to disagree. But then again, we might see that change with Kings' Quest, which is presumably going to be marketed towards old-school PC types. We might even get a nifty box of goodies with that one, maybe even, dare I say it, a really old-school big box?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

That's what I meant with the honor of the Telltale Store.

I agree that it is somewhat forgotten (including merchandise, soundtracks, etc.). I think less in terms of the 'now broader demographic' and more about what I'd personally like. Yup, it's less personal. That's what making the big bucks means. But Fables hardly has the huge following TWD has. I can see Fables being more personal again, but hopefully successful also...

They did a boxed SE set for Jurassic Park. That was less than a year ago... I wouldn't rule out that the times of physical goods and DVDs are not ENTIRELY over for Telltale yet.

Add Comment