User Avatar Image

Hey, Um, What About Us?

posted by Störtebeker on - last edited - Viewed by 832 users

While the games on gog are drm-free knows anyone if Telltale maybe will also make the games drm-free here? Last time I searched the forum for this topic I had the feeling that there wasn't any plans nor some large demand for such a move.

I know that some or maybe all the free cd-versions are drm-free, but to avoid the shipping costs I would really prefer the same for the digital versions.

84 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • To be fair, Telltale has always been pretty bad when it comes to information about upcoming titles. I'm sure we'll hear something about Fables after The Walking Dead finishes.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@RAnthonyMahan said: To be fair, Telltale has always been pretty bad when it comes to information about upcoming titles. I'm sure we'll hear something about Fables after The Walking Dead finishes.

or: AS the Walking Dead finishes. Remember ToMI? ;)

• @Vainamoinen said: or: AS the Walking Dead finishes. Remember ToMI? ;)

I remember that one. That was my third copy of Ice Station Santa.

• @Vainamoinen said: But I'm on your side in many respects here. It was the most disappointing Halloween blog entry for Telltale since time memorial. Remember how they posted their costumes some years ago? Remember the Halloween contests, announced WEEKS before the fact, year after year?

I miss those Halloween contests so much. I only entered one year (and won a ToMI poster, woo!) but every year it was so great to see the community come together and be creative like that.

• Seriously, why then does TTG sell games from their store at all? At the very least, why don't they just sell Steam or GOG codes and not handle the actual software downloads directly?

Or else, if Steam is having sales on TTG games, and said sales are authorized by TTG for Steam to have them, then why doesn't the TTG Store have more sales?

I don't care what the reasoning was for cutting out physical disc production. If they want us to buy from them, they need to incentivize.

@Rather Dashing said: [...] They're not selling adventure games to the type of person who might actually know what Sam and Max: Hit the Road was anymore, the audience they're milking is far larger and a personal approach just doesn't work.

*sigh*. You're probably right. God knows the reason why I never bought StarCraft II is because it's not available on Steam. I don't care if I can buy it from Blizzard's online store.

It's sad, really. ...One thing is for sure, though: I'm glad I got TOMI on disc, as the Earl Boen version of TOMI:Episode 1 will become quite rare when they stop selling discs from their store altogether.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: I don't care what the reasoning was for cutting out physical disc production. If they want us to buy from them, they need to incentivize.

No disagreement here. :)

• @Chyron8472 said:
    *sigh*. You're probably right. God knows the reason why I never bought StarCraft II is because it's not available on Steam. I don't care if I can buy it from Blizzard's online store.

I know the reason I never bought it was because it never dropped appreciably in price. Usually by this time, a $60 game might be down to $25 dollars or so, if not permanently, at least in a sale or something. Not for Starcraft II.

And having played a bit of the campaign, I kinda decided to just go play the original again. They obviously prioritized the multiplayer this time around.

• @Alcoremortis said: I know the reason I never bought it was because it never dropped appreciably in price. Usually by this time, a $60 game might be down to $25 dollars or so, if not permanently, at least in a sale or something. Not for Starcraft II.

And having played a bit of the campaign, I kinda decided to just go play the original again. They obviously prioritized the multiplayer this time around.

Disappointing, if not unexpected, on both points.

• @Vainamoinen said: You're needlessly going nightmare here. Telltale is looking for new NARRATIVE horizons, so the direction naturally wouldn't be RTS or FPS. But who says Telltale won't just make a straight up Action Adventure or Roleplaying Game? Think about it.

Who says an FPS can't be narrative? Heck, Warcraft III probably is a good example of an RTS with good narrative. Just because they're more action oriented doesn't mean they can't have any narrative depth.

Just saying.

• @Chyron8472 said: *sigh*. You're probably right. God knows the reason why I never bought StarCraft II is because it's not available on Steam. I don't care if I can buy it from Blizzard's online store.

Don't. I got it from Amazon around last christmas (was 50% off) and played it for 2 hours until I lost interest. It is now sitting here on my harddrive and doesn't get played at all. I never play multiplayer and I know the single player story is complete bullshit (because I saw it even before buying the sodding thing). Played a bit of single player and just quit and StarJeweled doesn't really keep me interested forever.
    So it is just sitting here. I might play more of it if it were on Steam but as it is I have this huge backlog of awesome steamgames and never even think about StarCraft II.

Add Comment