User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 96.1K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I just made a really loud fart that startled my dog. Weird.

• @Darth Marsden said: You say that like I had any left to lose.

Does this mean you'll be going mod with power soon?

Yes. I went there.

*attempts to whistle innocently and fails miserably*

• Darth is a great choice for a mod here.

Also Paper Mario Sticker Star is a Lucasarts style adventure game mislabeled as an RPG. Been playing it. Glad I didn't pass on it and listen to reviewers.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Secret Fawful said: Also Paper Mario Sticker Star is a Lucasarts style adventure game mislabeled as an RPG. Been playing it. Glad I didn't pass on it and listen to reviewers.

You're not the first person to make that comparison. :)

• @Jennifer said: You're not the first person to make that comparison. :)

That reviewer is also full of shit. None of the puzzles are vague. They all have cleverly hidden hints to what you need to do. He's just blind.

This is one of those games where doing everything and sidequests and hidden things are what makes it really special. The amount of detail is just insane, and there is more depth to the mechanics within than these guys know how to spot. All I can figure is that they rushed through it to get a review out.

• @Secret Fawful said: T
    This is one of those games where doing everything and sidequests and hidden things are what makes it really special.

Like Ocarina of Time?

• Damn it, Fawful! You're making me wish I had something that could run this game.

• @coolsome said: Like Ocarina of Time?

Yeah, it's kind of like that. The game isn't without flaws, sure. But I haven't run across one thing that is a game breaker the way a lot of guys, like IGN, were spouting. I think, for people who are used to Paper Mario playing a certain way, this will be jarring at first. I can see that. I had a hard time figuring the mechanics out at first because I was used to the other three games. In terms of atmosphere and how it handles things, I'd say this follows the first game the most. The areas are the same basic worlds from that with cosmetic differences. You have the grass world. The desert world. The forest world, etc. The atmosphere is very well done, though. The puzzles revolve around everything being paper or stickers. Once you understand the world of the game, the puzzles become solvable, but not easy. Many things are very very well hidden. This is not a game for the lazy. You have to search high and low. The oepning quest involves finding Toads Bowser stuck all over Decalburg, and they're hidden behind buildings and under mats and bushes and stuck inside things and it's a very good introduction to what you'll be dealing with. Battles exist to give you coins and more powerful stickers to use against enemies. The system is gradual and smooth, and well balanced. Bosses can be really tough depending on what you bring with you. The second main boss in the game has 300 HP, and if you don't figure its weakness out it can be a doozy. It seems like every major Mario staple they could wrestle into this game is in here: Frog Mario, Raccoon Mario, Kamek- and many many many surprises I won't spoil. I was actually a little shocked at how they hid some things. There is a lot of backtracking. Characters can crumple, and their heads can get bent and flap around, and you can get stuck in a paper clip, and Koopas origami themselves into a shell instead of just crouching to hide inside it. Shinier stickers sparkle and the light waves over them as you move your 3DS around, like a real sticker. The music is good: all of it. If I had a complaint, I guess that it would be that this game doesn't seem to be connected to the other three in its universe. This is almost entirely a fresh entry. The humor in the game is used to establish the world. Not sure what else to mention. Maybe that this is the prettiest game on the 3DS next to Kid Icarus. They textured this better than any entry in the series. Oh yeah, and you still get RPG like upgrades, but you either find them in the levels or you get them from the story. The two that I think there are are inventory and health upgrades.

So, yeah. Nintendo made their first Mario adventure game. This just goes to show- anything can be an adventure game.

• I will probably get it for Christmas or a bit after. It looks really fun and I have never been any good at experience points games so I'm glad they took that out for sticker's to boost you that seems easier to get into but not makes the game too easy.

• Okay, I really want to get into AGS, mainly to make my platform point & click game. But I'm as lazy as a programmer. Coincidentally, I am a programmer.

This discussion has been closed.