User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 200.9K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • LIFE is effing good. I'm sitting here, listening to music, watching the wind blow the trees, working on my research. Perfect day.

• @Secret Fawful said: So, yeah. Nintendo made their first Mario adventure game. This just goes to show- anything can be an adventure game.

Sonic? Street Fighter?

• @GaryCXJk said: Okay, I really want to get into AGS, mainly to make my platform point & click game. But I'm as lazy as a programmer. Coincidentally, I am a programmer.

You see what puts me off is not the actual making of the game, but the assets and the design. Designing all the areas, the levels, the puzzles, and then all the art work and characters. I start but I normally stop because I get distracted by something.

Needless to say I have A LOT of empty Game Maker files over the years that stop at the exact same point.
    (I work out a few basic mechanics, a few sprites, and then nothing...)

Infact, the only time I ever got remotely close was a project built from an asteriods example. (I basically kept building on the example. Replacing sprites and creating enemies and behaviours from examples as I went along drawing doodles of ships and enemies).

Man... I should give myself a project to do. All these ideas I keep sitting on. I should just take one and go with it. Or just make something simple. Try to apply the Visual Storytelling stuff I got from that free book.

(Maybe set myself some limitations to work around like I dunno:
    - Player can only move diagonally
    or
    - Can only have a maximum of 5 mechanics
    or even something wacky like
    - Game must involve soup and only soup)

Yeah! Lets get oldschool! :D
    (I need to dig that Game Design book back out and read it again. Refresh myself on the obvious)

@GaryCXJk said: Sonic? Street Fighter?

Alright:

Sonic

- Game focuses on Tails/Amy/Depowered Sonic
    - Character has to scavenge for parts for Tails/ get rings and avoid Robotnick's goons as Sonic/ Try to find Sonic as Amy (like she was doing in well... every game pretty much! XD)

Or

Chaotix Adventure Game.

They are investigators, they each have three unique abilities (charmy's size/flying, Espio's Stealth/Speed, Vector's Strength).

Street Fighter:

-Play as Chun Li pre-street fighter 2 to the end of Alpha 3

- Investigate into Shadaloo to try to stop Bison. The man who killed your father.

- Fights can be done like they are in The Walking Dead, but more actiony and a little more randomised

See not necessarily good, but possible. Very possible.

• @GaryCXJk said: Okay, I really want to get into AGS, mainly to make my platform point & click game. But I'm as lazy as a programmer. Coincidentally, I am a programmer.

AGS can literally do anything if you're advanced enough. It could even do iMuse if any programmers there knew how that system worked.

@GaryCXJk said: Sonic? Street Fighter?

You picked two of the easiest, especially Street Fighter. Every character has an interesting backstory that could work for a game, and Fate of Atlantis proves that fighting can have a place in an adventure game.

Give Sonic large levels to traverse, then a sidekick with an inventory who uses the items for him while he fights and gets them around. You could use any tone for it. SatAM tone would have missions like getting through Eggman's fortress, and Adventures style would be more whimsical and would probably have Sonic using his speed as a puzzle-solving mechanic in cartoony ways.

Easy as shit.

• I don't wanna mod on my birthday and you guys can't make me.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

It's my party and I mod if I want to.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

• @GuruGuru214 said: I don't wanna mod on my birthday and you guys can't make me.

Oh we can. You WILL sit here and mod. And you WILL like it. :D

• Oh, fine. Bans for everybody!

• @GuruGuru214 said: Oh, fine. Bans for everybody!

YAY! :D

Wait, whuh? :confused:

• 24hr bans all around, it's celebratory!

This discussion has been closed.