User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 9.9K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Again, so what? I'm not saying Luke should still be doing backflips and Leia should still be wearing the gold bikini, I'm saying they should be playing Luke and Leia in their fifties. Why is it so bad that they look like they're in their fifties? This idea that the characters should have somehow magically kept their good looks and slim figures, or magically aged as well as Sean Connery is ridiculous. Show them aged and out of shape. Have other, younger characters do the heavy lifting in the action scenes (though aged and out of shape didn't stop them from putting Ian McDiarmid and Christopher Lee into action scenes). There's nothing wrong with seeing the characters aged - in fact, it's a major theme in the series. If the prequels had actually been filmed first, would you have been upset when IV-VI came out that Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen now look like Alec Guinness and Sebastian Shaw?

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: Again, so what? I'm not saying Luke should still be doing backflips and Leia should still be wearing the gold bikini, I'm saying they should be playing Luke and Leia in their fifties. Why is it so bad that they look like they're in their fifties? This idea that the characters should have somehow magically kept their good looks and slim figures, or magically aged as well as Sean Connery is ridiculous. Show them aged and out of shape. Have other, younger characters do the heavy lifting in the action scenes (though aged and out of shape didn't stop them from putting Ian McDiarmid and Christopher Lee into action scenes). There's nothing wrong with seeing the characters aged - in fact, it's a major theme in the series. If the prequels had actually been filmed first, would you have been upset when IV-VI came out that Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen now look like Alec Guinness and Sebastian Shaw?

Oh Gee. Fat Jedi? How do you think that would look on screen? This is Star Wars we're talking about. In this time frame, even Leia would be a Jedi. Star Wars is as much about a look as it is anything else. And Fat Stars aren't it.

Whether they were capable of losing the weight to do the films, who knows. And that is IF they want to do it. Carrie Fisher has said herself that she is NOT an actor. she is a Personality. Big Difference. Mark Hamill has stated he did not want to do more Star Wars Films and he has misgivings about Disney being the company to produce them. Though to be honest I am sure both of them would do it for the paycheck.

Harrison Ford is another matter entirely, as he certainly does not need the paycheck.

• So you're whole reason for not wanting to see the original cast in a new Star Wars movie is... fat jedi.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: So you're whole reason for not wanting to see the original cast in a new Star Wars movie is... fat jedi.

I'm with you. I think it'd be an interesting take on the Star Wars universe to see where the Galaxy has gone in 30 years.

• I like the idea of the Yuzzhan Vong and Chewbacca dying as well. I mean, holy shit. The idea of Palpatine building his force because of a mysterious force beyond that galaxy was a damn awesome idea. It pisses me off Lucas is too proud of his own ideas to use that.

• They could always do a Nic Cage and have the effects team give 'em CGI six-packs.

nicolas-cage-ghost-rider.jpg[Shudders at the memory]

• I think it'd make sense to have a mostly-new cast with one of the original cast members in an Obi-Wan (of the original trilogy) type role. Luke would make the most sense from a narrative standpoint but they could make it work with other characters.

The only way I could see Darth Vader coming back in any logical way would be if some other character (presumably an all-new character) put on a suit like that and started claiming to be Darth Vader, and there's some mystery around whether or not the real Darth Vader has been resurrected or if it's an imposter, but he fools enough people to take command of some number of imperial forces. It could work. Or it could be dumb.

• @LuigiHann said: I think it'd make sense to have a mostly-new cast with one of the original cast members in an Obi-Wan (of the original trilogy) type role. Luke would make the most sense from a narrative standpoint but they could make it work with other characters.

The only way I could see Darth Vader coming back in any logical way would be if some other character (presumably an all-new character) put on a suit like that and started claiming to be Darth Vader, and there's some mystery around whether or not the real Darth Vader has been resurrected or if it's an imposter, but he fools enough people to take command of some number of imperial forces. It could work. Or it could be dumb.

Turns out it was Greedo the whole time, planning an elaborate revenge against an aging Han Solo.

Then Solo kills him in a final confrontation, and he turns to the new guy and says "I told you kid. I always shoot first!".

• It'll turn out fake Vader is Luke's long lost brother and then the prequels will get an edit.

• Not exactly Star Wars related but i thought i would show this video i found on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzueL0-KfEA&feature=BFa&list=WLA1E6ACA177BA20CC

Add Comment