User Avatar Image

Help me to learn English Like a native

posted by N7. on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

Hi, I would like to learn English but in our country and in our schools they really don't teach us English! just a little about grammatical rules :( I learned a little by myself ! but still I have some problems

I just need you guys come here some times and help me to find out some of my questions about this language

thanks

186 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    N7.

Thank you, good as ever

What's the difference between Commence and Start ?

What is the meaning of this sentence ? "he's putting in a good word for us"

And what's the meaning of "Hell of thing you just pulled off"
    That's what Hackett told Shepard about curing the genophage

• @N7. said: What's the difference between Commence and Start?

In this case, nothing.

"Commence" I suppose is a bit more formal sounding than "start" but other than that, they mean the same thing. There is a different definition for "start" which means to suddenly jump or twitch, usually from being surprised (or startled), but that definition is not the case here, I'm sure.

What is the meaning of this sentence ? "he's putting in a good word for us"

"putting in a good word" is to give a good recommendation.

Basically, he is going to talk to someone and say good things about us.

And what's the meaning of "Hell of a thing you just pulled off"

You left out the word "a" so I put it there.

To "pull off" can mean to accomplish or to succeed at doing something.

"Hell of a" means something is either very good or very bad. The "thing" referred to can be a good or a bad thing, as expressed by your tone of voice. You can also use other words instead of "thing," depending on what you're talking about. Keep in mind, some people squish the words together to spell "Helluva" but it sounds the same and means the same thing.

• @Chyron8472 said: "Hell of a" means something is either very good or very bad. The "thing" referred to can be a good or a bad thing, as expressed by your tone of voice. You can also use other words instead of "thing," depending on what you're talking about. Keep in mind, some people squish the words together to spell "Helluva" but it sounds the same and means the same thing.

You can also say, "hella", since "hella" is a short term for "hell of a", if that helps. :)

• @Debbie82 said: You can also say, "hella", since "hella" is a short term for "hell of a", if that helps. :)

That's a Bay Area thing, though.

• User Avatar Image
    N7.

Thank you guys, Good as ever. I'll back with more questions
    thanks

• @Debbie82 said: You can also say, "hella", since "hella" is a short term for "hell of a", if that helps. :)

"Hella" as it's actually used (mainly in northern CA and sometimes in NY) is in no way short for 'hell of a'. It means 'very'.

• User Avatar Image
    N7.

Hi, What does "I used to" mean? for example someone says "Do you know her?"
    and other one saying "I used to"

• @N7. said: Hi, What does "I used to" mean? for example someone says "Do you know her?"
    and other one saying "I used to"

It means it is something you did in the past. Like your example would mean at one point you knew this person in the past but now you don't IE you knew a friend in school but after you lost touch so you used to know them but now don't.

• User Avatar Image
    N7.

Thanks coolsome.

@StrongBrush1 said: Coolsome's not a spammer. He's just being difficult. And if he wants to keep his digital backside intact and out of trouble, he'll refrain from doing so in the future.

What does "He's just being difficult" mean in the above post?

Add Comment