User Avatar Image

The infection

posted by Pellet on - last edited - Viewed by 570 users

Something thats kinda bugged me since i started getting into the whole zombie genre is Walker blood. If their bite infects you wouldn't getting drenched in their blood be just as bad. Even if it doesn't absorb through your skin, People are usually yelling when they swing a weapon so lets say some of that walker juice gets in your mouth or eyes, are you as good as bit?
Fucked your mind and how you would deal with them didn't I!

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In TWD the problem is the brain when you get shot in the head you don't turn, so it seems when you die you come back since you have the infection(like everyone).
    As for being bitten the infection spreads from where you were bitten to the brain making you a zombie.
    From what I can work out anyways.

• @Bcroft said: In the first season of the walking dead when they chopped up the one zombie and wiped it on rick and glenn, he mentions not to get it in you eyes or open wounds, but I do agree with your point on how it would get in there mouth when there getting gruesome

Rick's not an expert on the subject, he's just being safe. He's wrong when he says that, because we see zombie blood in everyone's mouth later and in their eyes. Kirkman's dismissal of that being problematic seems to imply that there isn't a disease to transmit through fluids.

Everyone reanimates despite the way they die (save brain trauma), bites infect a wound and kill because of their diseased nature. If fluids were a problem, Kirkman would have covered it and nixed it happening in the show.

• @Master of Aeons said: ...bites infect a wound and kill because of their diseased nature.

This is what happens when you don't brush and floss.

• @Cyreen said: This is what happens when you don't brush and floss.

But a Winterfresh mouth tastes MUCH MUCH COOLER!

• Just a quick thout...
    How do we know the whole worlds infected? From what ive seen from the game and show (havnt read the comics and dont really plan on it) they havnt even been outside Georgia.

Kenny came from florida, but thats right next to Georgia.

Also ive wondered IF the virus was only in America it could be a form of biological warfare?

It would be cool to see how other countries dealed with this.

• @Pellet said: Just a quick thout...
    How do we know the whole worlds infected?...

It'd be ridiculously funny to acknowledge that the other world's o.k. Or that the «virus» works only in specific (area of few «cursed») states. (Like those are built upon old indian burrial grounds)

• @Pellet said: Just a quick thout...
    How do we know the whole worlds infected? From what ive seen from the game and show (havnt read the comics and dont really plan on it) they havnt even been outside Georgia.

It's covered. The comic doesn't leave the United States, but they've traveled through many infected states. It's at least national in the comics. In the show, they even talk about it being a global problem in the first season finale and say that France was one of the last holdouts. Everyone has the same story, the military falls apart and zombies win, leaving only pockets of humanity, like the Prison, Washington and Woodbury.

• @TrueXus said: Man, I've been wondering this also, I cringe every time I watch the show and see all of that zombie juice all over them.

Me too. It seems awfully inconsistent to me. Frankly I thought they were just getting really sloppy about it. Seems like the show has decided to up the gore factor.

But really, didn't Jim get a scratch that made him turn? I've been watching how they all do this major amount of mutilating, get blood everywhere and don't seem to consider it. Then we have the tender moment with Glenn checking Maggie for scratches. I call bullshit. Just in day to day living, they are bound to have scratches on them from how they survive. If nothing else, hand callouses and blisters that if contacted with walker blood SHOULD turn them.

It's inconsistent.

• Do scratches definitely cause the infection?

I thought they attributed scratches to spreading the infection because they hadn't realised people were turning because everyone was already infected and just assumed scratching caused it?

I'm sure there was a few points in the TV series, Randalls death for instance, were someone would say 'I don't see any bite marks' on a Walker and someone else (usually Glen), would say 'Maybe they got scratched?'

Are there any instances of someone dying purely because of a scratch? Maybe in the comics?

Someone said Jim died of a scratch, but he was bitten in the stomach?

• I don't think the scratches cause the infection but the open area being contaminated by the walker is likely introducing the infection that kills into the bloodstream.

So if you have a scratch of any kind walker or non walker, and you get walker blood on it, I'm thinking it should make you turn just because it gets into the bloodstream. That's why the amputation if done quickly enough is supposed to help. As long as the infection chain isn't allowed to keep going through the body they shouldn't turn. (until they die)

Add Comment