User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 193.4K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • And here's video of it. Ignore me talking- I was in a Google Hangout at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsQA-h6p9Os

• The TTG Mega Zord has joined the bots! We need back up now!!!

• It's 2012. Why does the movie industry not have ONE option that will let me buy a digital copy of a movie that I can then watch on all devices? PC is generally good to go no matter what, but PS3, Roku, and Android don't share a single legitimate store that they can go to.

In this case, I can see why people might want the Apple ecosystem. It's expensive and locked-in as all hell, but they have an option to get iTunes media on a TV, on any computer, on a phone, and on a personal media player. There's really no good excuse here.

Every service says "Buy once. Watch everywhere". They're LIARS.

• HEY, ANOTHER WAY TO POST IN ALL CAPS. :p

• @Rather Dashing said: It's 2012. Why does the movie industry not have ONE option that will let me buy a digital copy of a movie that I can then watch on all devices? PC is generally good to go no matter what, but PS3, Roku, and Android don't share a single legitimate store that they can go to.

Amazon Instant Video?

Amazon is pretty good for having cross-platform software. About the only thing I can think of that doesn't have it is AppleTV.

• @Rather Dashing said: It's 2012. Why does the movie industry not have ONE option that will let me buy a digital copy of a movie that I can then watch on all devices? PC is generally good to go no matter what, but PS3, Roku, and Android don't share a single legitimate store that they can go to.

In this case, I can see why people might want the Apple ecosystem. It's expensive and locked-in as all hell, but they have an option to get iTunes media on a TV, on any computer, on a phone, and on a personal media player. There's really no good excuse here.

Because the movie industry hasn't realized that the best way to deter piracy is to provide a service that the pirates can't compete with. I've been saying for years that they should have a service similar to Steam but for movies and constantly increase the catalogue. The profit margins would be bigger, it would be better for the environment, and they could continue to make money off of older movies produced by the studio at no additional cost. For the consumer, there's the convenience of having all digital media in one place, access to older films, and possibly sales of movies that have been out for awhile (since it won't really cost the company much to mark down some movies at a later date).

Everybody wins! Except for the companies that write DVDs and Blu-rays. It would kinda suck for them. And the stores that sell the DVDs and Blu-rays would have to find something else to sell. But still.

I will add here, that I was pleased to find that my Blu-ray copy of The Avengers came with not only a 3D Blu-ray, a regular Blu-ray, and a DVD, it also came with a digital download that I could stick in my iTunes library. I am supposing that I can now watch it on any device that you can watch things through iTunes with. It's not a digital download that works with everything, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

• Everything needs to be like Steam...

• @RetroVortex said: Everything needs to be like Steam...

Even The Cornfield?

This discussion has been closed.