User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 96.1K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: Amazon Instant Video?

Amazon has no presence on portable devices outside of their Fire tablets and certain modern Sony Walkmans. No phone options, android or otherwise.

• I agree with the sentiment here.

Currently, I don't generally download music anymore, unless it's from iTunes, since iTunes is the best alternative for me.

• @Rather Dashing said: Amazon has no presence on portable devices outside of their Fire tablets and certain modern Sony Walkmans. No phone options, android or otherwise.

Lies. Amazon also has an app for iPad.

Also, the there are various streaming video boxes which support it, including Roku and Logitech Revue.
    Not to mention PS3, 360, and various Bluray players and HDTVs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

(I can confirm the PS3 and iPad apps work well from personal experience.)

Sure, they don't have support for smartphones yet, but why is that a deal breaker?
    Why would you want to watch a movie on a little bitty phone screen?

It is my impression that Amazon is really good at cross-platform support because various platforms have apps for Kindle ebooks, Amazon Instant Video, and for Audible audiobooks (which is owned by Amazon.) It therefore seems to me that Amazon's primary goal is to try to increase their customer base with regard to ebooks, movies and audiobooks by keeping the supported devices relatively varied.

Case in point: the Kindle. They didn't have to allow Kindle apps for iPhone/iPad and risk reducing the number of people who buy a Kindle reader. But once people buy enough Kindle books, they're basically hooked to the service. Therefore, encouraging widespread app support instead of forcing proprietary hardware use (as Apple has done) makes more sense, at least to Amazon.

For the record, I don't like my iPad that much. I had to jailbreak it to get it closer to what i want it to do because, like iTunes, Apple forces you to do things the way they want them done, in favor of so-called ease-of-use. Which browser do i use? Firefox, because it is lightweight and customizable out the wazoo. Which music player do I use? WinAmp. Same reason.

I find that anything I do on my iPad, I could most certainly do on a Kindle Fire. And Kindle Fire is significantly cheaper in most cases.

• Probably because Android devices.

You see, half of all the smartphones run Android. Android however isn't exclusive to smartphones, since we also have Android tablets.

• The problem with Android has to do with variable hardware specs between devices.

I believe TTG said that's why they don't make games for Android. I have no idea if that's also Amazon's reason, but I could see them having that as one one of the reasons.

• I was an Android once. Then a giant bug man tried shoving me up his butt.

• Not the first time that’s happened.

• @Chyron8472 said: Lies. Amazon also has an app for iPad.

If that's true, it's not my fault that Amazon lied to me about a platform I have no intention of using.

OrGlU.png

Also, the there are various streaming video boxes which support it, including Roku and Logitech Revue.
    Not to mention PS3, 360, and various Bluray players and HDTVs
    I'm well aware. Doesn't work on Android, though.

Sure, they don't have support for smartphones yet, but why is that a deal breaker?
    Because I want to watch movies on my smartphone.

Why would you want to watch a movie on a little bitty phone screen?
    My phone is my portable media player of choice. I have tens of GB of music and video on there. Why I want to watch movies during my daily hour and a half of commuting by public transit, or during those periods where I'm waiting upwards of an hour for a ride because I don't own a car or have a license to drive one(nor ever will) isn't really the concern. The concern is that streaming buffet services have a wider device agnosticism than digital purchase options, which isn't right.

Also, I really don't think the Galaxy S3's screen is that small.

@Chyron8472 said: The problem with Android has to do with variable hardware specs between devices.
    Might have been valid back during 2.3, but now? Netflix is on Android. Hulu is on Android. Amazon music is on android. Amazon's video player for the Fire runs on Android. For awhile, the web player for desktops worked on Android if you told your phone to imitate a desktop web browser. This isn't some impossible thing, streaming video to an android phone.

This discussion has been closed.