Menu
User Avatar Image

One thing I don't get...

posted by Stevean2115 on - last edited - Viewed by 630 users

And that is, Why the hell are Lee's group calling Zombie's Zombies?

Kirkman stated in his universe George A Romero's work didn't exist, so people choudnt use the word "Zombies" hence why there dubbed "Walkers"

but Why do Both Lee and Larry Call them "Zombies" seems like a big error to me..

19 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    shammack Telltale Staff

Etymology of zombie:
    1871, of W. African origin (cf. Kikongo zumbi "fetish;" Kimbundu nzambi "god"), originally the name of a snake god, later with meaning "reanimated corpse" in voodoo cult. But perhaps also from Louisiana creole word meaning "phantom, ghost," from Sp. sombra "shade, ghost." Sense "slow-witted person" is recorded from 1936.

Who knows how widespread the term would be if it hadn't been popularized in zombie movies, but it certainly existed before they did.

I personally find the "walker" business irritating and I'm sad that it made it into the games at all. It would have been nice if that had just been a quirk of Rick's group in particular, rather than two separate groups coincidentally deciding to make up the same new term even though a perfectly good one already exists. Ah well.

• @shammack said:
    I personally find the "walker" business irritating and I'm sad that it made it into the games at all. It would have been nice if that had just been a quirk of Rick's group in particular, rather than two separate groups coincidentally deciding to make up the same new term even though a perfectly good one already exists. Ah well.

Yeah this bugged me too.

• @shammack said:

Agreed - that's why Molly was a nice refresher with her term 'geeks'. Personally I think that the terms 'dead' or derivates of that word (like 'deadites') would probably be the most common, especially if the z-word is supposed to be banned in general in media dealing with zombies.

• @Chickenman said: It's not just some religions like 'voodoo and crazy Caribbean cultures' that think you can bring the dead back to life. Look at Christianity in general. After all, we now have a holiday devoted to a 'Zombie'.

Incorrect. There is a difference between resurrection and reanimation.

@Chickenman said: I personally find the "walker" business irritating and I'm sad that it made it into the games at all. It would have been nice if that had just been a quirk of Rick's group in particular, rather than two separate groups coincidentally deciding to make up the same new term even though a perfectly good one already exists. Ah well.

Glenn was in both groups.

• "I personally find the "walker" business irritating and I'm sad that it made it into the games at all. It would have been nice if that had just been a quirk of Rick's group in particular, rather than two separate groups coincidentally deciding to make up the same new term even though a perfectly good one already exists. Ah well."

It is in the comic universe though and don't they call them roamers most of the time at least?

• @tobar said: Glenn was in both groups.

Yet Glenn, at least TV Glenn, is actually heard calling them Molly's term "Geeks" once as well..

• Thanks for the answers guys xD I sure didnt hope to create a massive debate about the word zombie but eh :D I understand now.

• @tobar said:
    Glenn was in both groups.

Lee calls them Walkers before he meets Glenn. And didn't Rick get walkers from Morgan?

• Does it really matter?

You can't really expect one person to be the sole inventor of a generic word used to describe walking corpses.

• "Look at all them Jesuses!"
    "Don't let that Jesus bite you!"
    "Jesus, Lee turned into a Jesus!"

Add Comment