User Avatar Image

TWD Season 2 speculation/suggestion (merged threads)

posted by Yusuf Koroma on - last edited - Viewed by 25.3K users

In the coming months, Telltale Games will release three more episodes of their adventure game The Walking Dead. They won't stop there, though. Telltale marketing executive Steve Allison said that they will create a second season eventually as well.

"Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do," Allison told Polygon.

The Walking Dead has been a huge critical and commercial success for Telltale. The first episode, "A New Day," sold almost 1.7 million copies in its first two months. It's said to be the company's fastest-selling game ever.

The game starts before the events of the Walking Dead show and comic. Lee Everett, a man convicted of murder, has been unexpectedly free as a zombie outbreak sweeps the globe. He and a small group of survivors band together in order to stay alive. As Lee, players must endure zombie attacks as well as internal strife among the survivors.

It's not clear whether the second season of the game will be a direct continuation of the first season. They might just decide to tell a new story with a completely different cast of characters. I'd be happy with either. The writing for these games has proven top-notch so I have faith that Telltale could craft another compelling set of survivors for us to follow.

Episode 3 of Walking Dead will be available in August. "Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do."

www.cinemablend.com/games/Walking-Dead-Game-Season-Two-Confirmed-44364.html

1.2K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@TheNNerdGamer said: to wait Half a year.

Again, better not get your hopes up for a 2013 Season 2.

• Some ideas I had for season 2:

- A female lead: I am not sure if having Clementine be the lead is the best choice, but an empathetic and compelling female lead would be great. Telltale has proven to effectively write great female characters in this hand so I could see putting a woman on the spotlight working out well. Besides, the industry always is in need of female leads who are not sex objects and Telltale's women are definitely not that (Carley is very pretty, but in a very natural way).

- A religious character: Before you jump on me, hear me out. Realistically (hard to use that for a zombie outbreak), something involving the end of the world would bring people to either cling towards or question the effect of religion in their life. I don't want a bible basher (though in Georgia I'm sure there are plenty), but I would love a character that brings religion into a mature thematic discussion. Whether he is struggling to believe with all that has happened or is trying to desperately believe to not lose hope, I think it would add a lot of believability.

- Ethnic diversity: I'm not expecting the United Nations, but a great part of this season was having a strong African American character with Lee. We have so many generic white guys in the mainstream gaming that it would be nice to see someone with a different background in the spotlight. I would be happy if it was any race if the character is strong, but maybe a race with less spotlight would be a cool addition.

- Stick to themes: For most of the episodes, recurring themes and ideas have been the lynch pins of the story. It adds structure, resonance and thought provoking to the choices and story arcs. Keep this up!

- Romantic element/theme: It doesn't need to be a big part, but another compelling theme that could be explored is the power of connection and possibly romance in dire times. Is it love or lust? Is it a necessity or a hindrance? Is it genuinely to connect or a way to escape reality? Does it make you more empathetic or willing to risk everyone else to save the person you love? This was only lightly hinted at with Lee and Carley, so it could be cool to have a mature discussion on it in the game.

- Larger group from the get go?: We started alone and then grew to a bigger group that began to dwindle. What if it is the other way around for this season? We start off with a bigger group and it gradually is picked off to a smaller group. It could create a real sense of dread as you speculate who will make it to the end and it could lend to better character development on the whole without worrying about throwing in "replacements" who may not have enough time to be fleshed out. Almost like a murder mystery :)

- Longer lasting choices: Easier said than done on a programming perspective, but I'm sure people ideally would love to see choices that noticeably last from the first episode to the last and distinctly affects the episodes in between. It gives weight to the choices and encourages replay value. Things like Carley encouraging Lee to confess his past versus Doug not addressing it at all could be even stronger if played over a season.

------------

Just a few ideas. I'll be excited either way.

• I think season 2 should be mostly unrelated to season 1, maybe with some throwbacks but not direct interaction with those people. Since I think most are going to die, maybe they could come across one of the old characters as zombies or something - I think that'd be neat. I'd like to see characters with a different set of circumstances and challenges to face or maybe even skip back to the first day of the apocalypse and have a protagonist who wasn't knocked out in a car crash for those days.

• Wow, messy thread splicing. :p

Anywhoozle.

Ideas....

- A whole new crew. Sticking with anyone from Season 1 will bring season 1 baggage into it.

We need a brand new group to break.

- More zombie action. Less "People talking and the occasional zombie appears" and more "OH SHIT! WE ARE IN A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!!"

- More divergence, well, as much as plot/resources allow.

I'm not one of the "MAH CHOICES DON'T MATTAH" people.... but, I would like to see some more story/character/event flexibility.

• I've been scratching my head and realized I didn't make this topic a sticky.

• @lilTomTom said: I've been scratching my head and realized I didn't make this topic a sticky.

That's because you can't.

Mods can though, they've spliced several "ideas" threads together.

• I only have two suggestions

Diversity:

Add MORE replayability to the game.. instead of a set amount of characters dying at point A.. make it so anyone in your group can die, maybe even set timelimits for certain areas. I know it might take alot of programming but it'll be worth it.. for example i'll use Season 1:
    When in the Pharmacy, if you take too long to help with the door, Kenny can get picked off from outside, leaving you and your group to fight off the zombies and find another alt route out of the city.

:D Things like that.

suggestion two would have to be:
    Bette relationships .. In Season 1, you could be a asshole as much as you wanted and Clemmy and Carley would still love you, how about if I be a asshole it effects my relationships more and effects my survival rate?.

One last suggestion

Character switch
    I honestly thought this'd happen in episode 2, when you help Clemmy through the vent, I thought the game-play would switch to clemmy and you'd have to do a sneaking mission to get to the door, one wrong move and GAME OVER. I'd like to see this in season 2, to increase intensity (By making you play a part as a weak character or someone who cant defend themselves) In a very dangerous situation to assist your main character.

• Maybe we can see Mark or someone else before they joined Lee's group?

• The best main character would obviously be Lee, with an amputated arm. But I'm PRETTY sure that's not gonna happen. I wouldn't exactly want to make all-new characters. There are many characters that seem to have interesting back stories.

Doug, Carley, Mark, Ben, Chuck, Christa & Omid, and Molly.

(And I totally disagree with the idea of multiple character control. You're seeing the world through one character's eyes.)

• This thread was merged with others, but I still stand by what was suggested earlier - a disabled protagonist, or at the very least a major secondary character.

I think people forget that "disabled" doesn't only mean "double above-the-knee amputee" or "wheelchair-bound". A blind or a deaf protag would be really, really cool. Or somebody who, either naturally or by accidents before the zombie apocalypse, was missing a limb. And there are lots of other disabilities, visible and invisible, that are viable options, too.

But I don't think it will be very likely, however awesome it might be to have positive images of disabled people in a difficult world.

Barring that, I agree with all of zgamer's ideas. I forget who posted it in another thread, but I also think it would be neat if there was a time jump to where Rick is now approximately in the comics, when people are more used to zombies.

Also... this idea will probably be shot when the game is out tomorrow, but Christa for season 2 protag? :D

Add Comment