User Avatar Image

Sexuality

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

So homosexual marriage finally seems like it's getting approval from the American public, to which I say Kudos! I'm firmly attracted to the female form myself, but I'd never want to keep someone from marrying someone else.

290 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Apparently the SNP are going to make gay marriage legal in Scotland, to the horror of the Catholic church. (but since Britain is pretty secular, especially compared to the USA, most people don't care what the Catholics think) Which is nice, but I'm still not voting for independence, or anything that involves promoting Gaelic.

• @Jen Kollic said: Apparently the SNP are going to make gay marriage legal in Scotland, to the horror of the Catholic church. (but since Britain is pretty secular, especially compared to the USA, most people don't care what the Catholics think) Which is nice, but I'm still not voting for independence, or anything that involves promoting Gaelic.

Eh, nobody cares what the Catholics think in the US either. Most Christians view Catholics as pagans and borderline cannibals from my experience.

• @Alcoremortis said: Eh, nobody cares what the Catholics think in the US either. Most Christians view Catholics as pagans and borderline cannibals from my experience.

Right, it's those damn baptists that people seem to care so much about. :p

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: Right, it's those damn baptists that people seem to care so much about. :p

I actually don't really know many Baptists. Then again, California. They don't have much of a presence here. Though most of the Catholics I know are kinda the weird conservative sect that doesn't want gay people to marry but otherwise doesn't care. It's kinda a silent disapproval with the occasional crazy (like my sixth grade teacher). I'm guessing that the Baptists are similar but they get more media attention.

• Come visit the South! You'll see.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: Come visit the South! You'll see.

Actually, I think I'll... not do that. I'd like to live.

• @Jen Kollic said: Well, in the Republic of Ireland doctors will let you die rather than give you an abortion...

Waitwaitwait. How'd we get to abortion and dying in hospitals?

• Because if there's one thing Catholics hate just as much as homosexual marriage, it's abortion.

ETA: And because if you don't want to visit the south of the USA because of religious crazies, better scratch Ireland off the list of places to visit too.

• @Jen Kollic said: Because if there's one thing Catholics hate just as much as homosexual marriage, it's abortion.

Lots of Christian sects hate both. It's not just Catholics. Though the hatred of abortion is a lot more understandable in the context of the Christian belief system than the hatred of gay marriage as abortion involves the termination of a human life. And there's lots of stuff in the Bible about not killing people, though it does seem to happen fairly regularly. I'm kinda hazy on the morality myself, because choosing between two sets of rights is never a fun position to be in.

Also, most religious authorities don't know enough about science to answer the types of questions I have. Like, my primary question: if you create a life via removing a single totipotent cell from a blastula would that still count as a human life, even though it was created completely through artificial means? Everyone I've asked this question to gets caught up on the fact that I used the term blastula instead of baby and claims I'm using scientific terms to confuse the issue.

Add Comment