User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 130.3K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have written 12 trunk novels in the past three years. I have never shown the manuscripts to any publisher, nor have I told anyone what they are about, with the exceptions of Secret Fawful and Haggis. I am too embarrassed to show them to anyone.

• Except that you have neat ideas.

Anybody that didn't like the mystery novel with forum users has no sense of fun.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Jen Kollic said: Well, it's been a while. Have I missed anything of interest?

You mean, ToMI Seasons 2 and 3?? :eek:

• I think I'm beginning to lose my memory.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

You're just around in General Chat... I mean, technically you COULD miss ToMI 2 and 3. :D

@Giant Tope said: "The painting is accomplished in the style of Winslow Homer. Homer represented the school of naturalism, the realistic picturing of the contemporary scene. Homer painted by eye more than by tradition and he was an independent American pioneer of the impressionistic vision, then developing also in France."

Didn't yet know about Winslow Homer, but research is rewarding. The Lincoln picture supposedly in Homer's style doesn't have the same ring to it for me. My first question would be about materials; and the painting is so luminous that I'd naturally assume it to be a watercolor (instead of oils). Compared to a watercolor painting of Homer's, the differences might become clear.

800px-Perils_of_the_Sea_Winslow_Homer_18

Some of the reflections at the bottom look a bit like Lincoln's floor... but I suspect that the Disney painting uses opaque media for the highlights (window, metal mantlepiece, glass) - gouache maybe. Not the thing Winslow Homer might have done.

• Maybe that thing in the fireplace could be replaced with the LucasArts symbol, now. It almost looks like that already.

• This is my favorite piece of Homer's art.

screen-shot-2012-04-21-at-12-03-05-pm.pn

• @Secret Fawful said: I think I'm beginning to lose my memory.

Write things down on sticky notes and then stick them to yourself. That is the best way to remember important and sensitive information.

• @Alcoremortis said: Write things down on sticky notes and then stick them to yourself. That is the best way to remember important and sensitive information.

I always write stuff on the back of my hand! :D

(Though you have to be careful not to wash it off though...)

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Alcoremortis said: Write things down on sticky notes and then stick them to yourself. That is the best way to remember important and sensitive information.

Tattoos work way better.

Memento02.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.