User Avatar Image

Hey, Um, What About Us?

posted by Störtebeker on - last edited - Viewed by 876 users

While the games on gog are drm-free knows anyone if Telltale maybe will also make the games drm-free here? Last time I searched the forum for this topic I had the feeling that there wasn't any plans nor some large demand for such a move.

I know that some or maybe all the free cd-versions are drm-free, but to avoid the shipping costs I would really prefer the same for the digital versions.

84 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @Chyron8472 said: The reason why people might not be buying physical stuff from TTG, in my opinion, is because their Deluxe Edition stuff has been cheaply made. (...Seriously, printing cardboard cut-out dolls on a DVD slipcase, and using white restaurant napkins to print maps on with an inch of blank border between the map image and the edge of the fabric??)


    The latter I agree with. The former was purposefully done that way to mimic the Steve Purcell cardboard cutout Guybrush dolls from the Adventurer in Monkey Island 1. The MI1 dolls were plain paper, so cardboard is actually a step up. :)

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @Darth Marsden said: Given their expanding market (and sales), it's hard to disagree. But then again, we might see that change with Kings' Quest, which is presumably going to be marketed towards old-school PC types. We might even get a nifty box of goodies with that one, maybe even, dare I say it, a really old-school big box?


    I'd pay the kickstarter standard of $100 for a big box deluxe edition of Telltale's King's Quest. :)

  • Can we at least get some official statement surrounding the whole drm-free thing?

    We are kindly asking if or when there will be a possibility to somehow redeem drm-free copies that are also released on gog.com.

    Then it's out of the way. If there will not be such a possibility, then we know what we are dealing with. If Telltale decides to continu on this moneygrubbing tour, ignoring first-hour customers what not, so be it. This ought to be a warning to NOT buy right away, but simply await until they show up on gog.com, because of the premium service you get at gog.com.

    Please get it right Telltale!

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @Ferdius said: Can we at least get some official statement surrounding the whole drm-free thing?

    We are kindly asking if or when there will be a possibility to somehow redeem drm-free copies that are also released on gog.com.


    There's no way to do it now. As for the latter, there is no current plan to allow this, at least not in the foreseeable future. There's a thread discussing the matter here.

    People who ordered the game from Telltale Games can get DVDs of most of Telltale's games from the Telltale store for just the cost of shipping. The DVD releases of the games from the Telltale Games store don't have the one time online activation that the digital releases from the Telltale Games store have (with the sole exception of Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures).

  • @Jennifer said: There's no way to do it now. As for the latter, there is no current plan to allow this, at least not in the foreseeable future. There's a thread discussing the matter here.

    People who ordered the game from Telltale Games can get DVDs of most of Telltale's games from the Telltale store for just the cost of shipping. The DVD releases of the games from the Telltale Games store don't have the one time online activation that the digital releases from the Telltale Games store have (with the sole exception of Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures).

    Ok thanks for replying and pointing me to the right thread. I will keep watch on it.

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    Another thing to point out is that Telltale's activation process isn't that invasive anyway, and there's an option to not have to be online to do it. I didn't have internet access for a long time on my home computer, so I e-mailed Telltale and they sent me an activation serial number for my games. It's not really like DRM (not in the traditional sense anyway), so it shouldn't really be a deal breaker.

  • @Jennifer said: Another thing to point out is that Telltale's activation process isn't that invasive anyway, and there's an option to not have to be online to do it. I didn't have internet access for a long time on my home computer, so I e-mailed Telltale and they sent me an activation serial number for my games. It's not really like DRM (not in the traditional sense anyway), so it shouldn't really be a deal breaker.

    You are true that it is not DRM in the traditional sense, but still it's DRM. It's certainly not invasive I give you that.

    It's just that it seems unfair that buying cheap copies of gog.com gets you a premium service. (Completely DRM-free plus goodies). You can't get around that.

  • You do have to wait a while for them to appear at GOG.com though, if that counts for anything.

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    @Jennifer said: Another thing to point out is that Telltale's activation process isn't that invasive anyway, and there's an option to not have to be online to do it. I didn't have internet access for a long time on my home computer, so I e-mailed Telltale and they sent me an activation serial number for my games. It's not really like DRM (not in the traditional sense anyway), so it shouldn't really be a deal breaker.

    As some of you know, I refuse to play a LOT of games because of their DRM, and I could always accept the one time activation in Telltale's games.

    However, things have changed quite a bit with TWD. You can of course still play offline, but with some notable repercussions. If I remember correctly, former games tried to access Telltale's servers only during logout - leaving some kind of black info hole website on the goodbye screen when no data was returned pretty immediately. Not nice to look at, but no harm done and no time wasted.

    Things are different when you start up TWD. This game tries for ages to establish a connection on every startup, not understanding when there is none, making you wait quite a bit for nothing at all. It ALWAYS wants to update patches, statistics and a pretty out of franchise character "live ticker" without your consent, and if communication with the server goes somehow wrong, it can even revoke the activation, which many users have experienced. That is NOT the kind of DRM I'm looking for. It must not be that way, and there is no place on Telltale's site where those DRM mechanics are actually explained to the customers.

    I do find it invasive, and it doesn't give users with an "always on" internet connection a chance to prevent the game from reaching out to Telltale's servers. I doubt that retail disc customers will receive the same treatment, so more advantages to the actual episodic format opponents. A lot of work has to be done in that area, and I really hope these cans of worms are already fumigated for Fables. This is an area of utmost improvement necessity for me, along with the immediate return of the single episode installer download.

  • @Vainamoinen said: I doubt that retail disc customers will receive the same treatment, so more advantages to the actual episodic format opponents.

    I think they will. The end statistics are a core feature of these episodes. And they require you to be online to work.
    And if yo wanted to you could stop that as an always online user. You have to use a 3rd party firewall though.

Add Comment