User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 3.0K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm okay with Lee's death. I went into this game prepared to do anything to keep Clem and the characters I care about safe. I just wish I had just a little more info on Clem's fate.

• I can see why a few people are disappointed by the way things went in episode 5. But all it really seems like to me is "This didn't end how I wanted it to and that annoys me". :3

From the very beginning I felt like the game's "true" focus was Clementine. Lee did have his own story, and playing as Lee, every player is going to explore his backstory and generally relate to him more.
    But Lee was Clem's protector, from episode 3 onward it was made clear you could never be 100% sure that everything was going to be okay and that Lee was basically preparing Clementine for how difficult surviving was to be.

Maybe I'm just a little biased because I expected a sad ending from having gotten used to The Walking Dead comics, but that's just how The Walking Dead stories go. It's the apocalypse, things are tragic, and unfair, and if every dramatic, messed up, terrifying moment in the game series existed only to lead to a one in a million chance that Lee lives and they both walk away, it would defeat the whole point.

Tl;dr version: It's a zombie apocalypse, Clementine survived. That's a happy enough ending for me.

• @Destmond said: I can see why a few people are disappointed by the way things went in episode 5. But all it really seems like to me is "This didn't end how I wanted it to and that annoys me". :3

From the very beginning I felt like the game's "true" focus was Clementine. Lee did have his own story, and playing as Lee, every player is going to explore his backstory and generally relate to him more.
    But Lee was Clem's protector, from episode 3 onward it was made clear you could never be 100% sure that everything was going to be okay and that Lee was basically preparing Clementine for how difficult surviving was to be.

Maybe I'm just a little biased because I expected a sad ending from having gotten used to The Walking Dead comics, but that's just how The Walking Dead stories go. It's the apocalypse, things are tragic, and unfair, and if every dramatic, messed up, terrifying moment in the game series existed only to lead to a one in a million chance that Lee lives and they both walk away, it would defeat the whole point.

Tl;dr version: It's a zombie apocalypse, Clementine survived. That's a happy enough ending for me.

Actually, the only thing I don't like about the ending is the lack of impact of 'your story' on it. Ben dies no matter what just like Carley/Doug before, same with Kenny, Omid and Christa live no matter what (atleast what I've seen anyway) and the boat gets taken no matter what. And now I'll finally be able to say to all of those "The game isn't done yet, choice will come in episode 5" people, that no it didn't. And that is my main problem with it.

After episode one and two this was one of my favorite if not my favorite story adventure game, but now it's Heavy Rain again just because atleast there you feel like you make a noticable impact on the story.

• The ending was both good and bad for me.

The way Lee died in that room, handcuffed to the radiator was very good. Just thinking about him lying there as the story continues if very 'The Walking Dead'.

I didn't like a few things, but the Stranger was the biggest disappointment. When he was telling Lee his sob story, I thought Lee was going to get up and slap him with his good hand then walk out with Clementine. He just didn't seem legit to me.

There was a lot of potential with that character. Maybe he could've been charged by her parents to save Clem, maybe he could've been part of some other group. He might have had a kid in Savannah he was looking after and genuinely thought he was more capable, or maybe he was just a murderous psychopath?

Instead he was the moron that abandoned his car. Right, ok.

Great game though, gutted we have to wait for Season 2. I feel like I'm always waiting for such small doses!

• @Xebioz said: Actually, the only thing I don't like about the ending is the lack of impact of 'your story' on it. Ben dies no matter what just like Carley/Doug before, same with Kenny, Omid and Christa live no matter what (atleast what I've seen anyway) and the boat gets taken no matter what. And now I'll finally be able to say to all of those "The game isn't done yet, choice will come in episode 5" people, that no it didn't. And that is my main problem with it.

Sure it did. The story stayed the same but the reasons things happened, the circumstances, the nuances of the scenes, those changed. That's a lot more natural than "Click this for Branch A and this for Branch B".

And for those complaining about Lee dying at the end...Clementine lived! In The Walking Dead, that's considered a happy ending.

• @Xebioz said: Actually, the only thing I don't like about the ending is the lack of impact of 'your story' on it. Ben dies no matter what just like Carley/Doug before, same with Kenny, Omid and Christa live no matter what (atleast what I've seen anyway) and the boat gets taken no matter what. And now I'll finally be able to say to all of those "The game isn't done yet, choice will come in episode 5" people, that no it didn't. And that is my main problem with it.

Personally, I can't say that this ever bothered me. I only played through the game once, so all of my choices felt important at the time.

I guess that you'd only really notice the lack of impact if you reloaded after every decision, or replayed each chapter to get different results. But for a first playthrough...well, it worked.

• @Planeforger said: Personally, I can't say that this ever bothered me. I only played through the game once, so all of my choices felt important at the time.

I guess that you'd only really notice the lack of impact if you reloaded after every decision, or replayed each chapter to get different results. But for a first playthrough...well, it worked.

Yeah, but the point of having a "Your choices matter" game, is for replayability. For Heavy Rain I have no clue how long I've spent on that game. Everytime I play it something is different than last time I played it. And before haters attack me I know that this has a fraction of the money that Heavy Rain had behind it, but then don't sell it as a "Your choices matter" game.

Again, as an adventure game it's great. As an interactive story it isn't.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: Sure it did. The story stayed the same but the reasons things happened, the circumstances, the nuances of the scenes, those changed. That's a lot more natural than "Click this for Branch A and this for Branch B".

And for those complaining about Lee dying at the end...Clementine lived! In The Walking Dead, that's considered a happy ending.

Ehm... Again it's not about Lee dying (some of my favorite Heavy Rain endings are where it partly goes to shit). And it isn't about 'click this get branch A' either. If you've played heavy rain you would know that for instance a scene is about you disposing of fingerprints you've left behind in a store. Either you manage it on time, or you are called in by the police changing the next segment of the game for this one character. It's not about having a concrete choice about where the game is going, but that your choices end up CHANGING the story (even if the completely opposite of what you think is going to happen does).

So I think you're misunderstanding what I'm looking for here. Because what I'm looking for is what was advertised as their major selling point.

• I just...I just stopped the game where you find Ben in this....God
    I was crying SO much when he said that he never saw his family and..
    :( I'm...Fuck..So sad

• Awesome ending, awesome series. Really looking forward to the next one - please, Telltale, don't take too long. Getting season 2, episode 1 in April would be fantastic.

Add Comment