User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead episode 5 and entire game REVIEW thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 10.2K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about the last episode and concluding thoughts about the Season right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODES!!!

(poll rates the whole game, not just episode 5)

278 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It was REALLY good. Oh, and BTW wasn't your username in the credits?

• I voted for 7
    I don't want to make a list of positive aspects because I mostly liked the game I just say the negative things:
    Episode 1 lagged sometimes (tried on 3 different new PC's). So there might have been a component in these computers which wasn't good for the game. Anyway this shouldn't be in a game with that low engine and graphic details. (they were okay for the game but anyway) -> -1 point
    There were no real decissions and only one ending, I really disliked that -> -2 points
    Anyway I had fun playing this game. That is why I think 7 points are okay.

• It's weird, I enjoyed the game more than the TV show...Maybe because I'm in direct control and feel more intimate with it rather than just watching it...Although if they did make this a television show I still think it'd get to me more than The Walking Dead that's currently airing.

• so sad :*(

It was a bit mean to give me hope with the option of cutting off the arm. This should have been possible earlier and with the option to let the others do the heavy lifting and and and...

Anyway ... a great game. I'm happy that the download worked again and there was no further problems for the pc. Well done, TTG. It's a real gem. Now just get the technical issues resolved, get rid of your delivery problems, improve your support and you're going to be fine.

I didn't quite get the ending though. Some more resolve would have been nice. This looks like a season finale or something. "Buy season 2 and see who the 2 persons were and what is going to happen to Clem and how your choices affected her. And find out, what crime Lee actually commited ...". Well at least there weren't a blue, red and green ending.

• Atleast in my playthrough my Christa & Omid seemed to survive the episode. I bet at the end since Christa idea was to go countryside that Clem see both of them. And since Molly not appeared I think she might be the 4th member in the 2nd season.

I'm happy that Christa & Omid survived the last episode, atleast my faves survived it but on the other hand beeing so sad about Lee & Clem.

Still very sad episode specially the ending and PROPS to the voice-overs.

• I'd go for a 7 as well.

It's a nice experience overall. Like with previous episodes it have been small things that killed the immersion for me in the final one.

From the top of my head:

Lee has this discussion with Christa and Omid on the rooftops that he should do the risky things from now on since he has been bitten anyway. They reach that provisional wooden bridge and Christa says omething like: "Careful here." Still she and Omid go first and not Lee. Seconds later, where they want to cross the street by climbing the sign, they basically have the same argument again. Do they even listen to each other at all?

After the stranger is dealt with, the player can't pick up the hatchet but only click on the exit door. Minutes earlier, that weapon helped me to fight through the horde and now I want to leave unarmed?

When Clem asks me what she should pick first from the Security Officer walker, of course I tell her to grab the gun - so she can shoot the walker if it somehow breaks out of its trap (which didn't look very tight anyway). But Lee says: "The gun, always the gun!" Errrm, no?! I didn't mean to give her a lifelong lesson, potentially important for a future series. I was just telling her what to do in that situation. It's just one example for many dialogue lines throughout the game that look like they have one connotation when you can pick them but then turn out to have a totally different meaning because Lee adds sentences that I didn't see on screen before.

I'm handcuffed to the radiator and my last suggestion for Clem should be that she should always have her hair cut short?! I found it annoying enough when Chuck advised me to do it out of nowhere on the train and now this. Even if she was bald, zombies can still grab her by her clothes or limbs.

Finally, according to the "Which choices change things drastically?"-thread not even in the final episode does anything really matter.

Personally, I would have prefered many different endings in this one and a fresh start for season two over the way it is now.

• I'll repeat what's in the (very short) start post: This is about the whole season, not about the last episode!

My rating for this season: 8

I'll start off with the negative aspects:

1: The game engine is horrible. I had to reduce the shadow quality to a minimum with a very potent system so that sequences run smooth and to avoid audio issues.

2: In the end, The decisions didn't really matter. I know how hard it is to actually design games all around decisions, but I usually feel that the focus is wrong for that, and this game is no exception. We all get the same ending, although this is the most important thing that should change depending on your actions.

3: Personal thing, but: I don't like this episode-format to be honest. Waiting this long to have about 2 hours to play isn't as great as enjoying a complete game when you buy it. That's actually the reason why I waited until Episode 4 was out until I finally bought the Season Pass. Just wanted to mention that although it didn't affect the rating, I guess there are good reasons (advertisement, financial advantages, I don't know...) for it.

So, that things aside:

What an improvement to previous games! Right from the first episode the story totally got me. What I enjoyed the most is the focus on the survivors' behaviour rather than just adding one ugly gore scene after another, which is usually the case in any zombie movies/games. Especially the "silent moments" after things got out of hand were well done. There was always this dark, depressing mood swinging along everything, giving the game an apocalyptic feeling from hour 1 to the end.
    Probably the best choice was using Clementine as the main theme of the Season. Having to raise a child with no experience of it whatsoever in a messed-up world of violence and cruelty was an interesting aspect that kept me hooked all the time. Plus it gave you an interesting view on your own actions. Example: In Episode 2 I killed the first one of the brothers with the pitchfork. To me it was a natural decision in that moment, but when she showed up and looked like I just kicked a bag of kittens I started realizing what I just did. Really powerful.
    Which leads me to another point that I especially enjoyed: This game really created moral conflicts that let you, as a player, reflect on your own behaviour. While constantly judging others during your journey you also get the chance to be a monster, and sometimes that even seems like the logical choice. The most obvious choice was probably letting Ben fall. He was more or less the main reason why six companions either died or left you. He constantly screwed up and put everyone in danger, especially right before you have the chance to let him fall. But is it right to give up on him because you think he will continue to do that? Although I personally didn't hesitate and helped him up I thought that, rationally, this was a pretty hard call. And I was quite pleased to see he didn't turn out to be a great hero in the fifth Episode. Although Kenny will, well, "seem to die" anyway when you let him fall, it seems in this situation like he is the reason for his death as well. Although honestly I would have found it more interesting if Kenny can actually survive without him. That would really raise the question "is it okay to kill someone when he will be the reason for others to die?".

As you can see in my babbling this game totally got me. I hope that Season 2 will continue to focus so much on the characters and how humans become more and more like the monsters they're afraid of.
    Last but not least a quick opinion about the single episodes:

Episode 1: Fitting for a beginning. Not a huge spectacle, but a slow introduction to everyone. I especially enjoyed how Lee's life was revealed via dialogue options as well.

Episode 2: Totally blew me away. You know from the beginning that something's wrong with those guys, but it turned out so unbelievably sick. A friend of mine was already suspecting them to be cannibals right from the start, but to me it never crossed my mind that they even do anything close to that. So it was one shock after another for me. Especially that they keep them alive so that the flesh is not corrupted. This was really the only episode in which I actually felt fear, what an experience :). The "twist" about Kenny when Larry had his heart attack also finally made me question every single one in my group, which was absolutely great.

Episode 3: As good as Episode 2 was, I was very happy that the story didn't continue with even sicker events. The whole thing with Duck and Katjaa was the first really sad scene and didn't miss the spot. Not to mention that Kenny seemed like a ticking bomb after that...Chuck was an awesome character and his advice for Clementine finally made me realize that not all the rules of the world we know apply anymore. I was angry at him first for telling Clementine something like that, but it really makes sense - children are not allowed to be children in such a world, as hard as this may sound to us.

Episode 4: Now that one was long! As far as I know this one wasn't received as well as the others, but I personally liked it as well. Having to hurt Clementine so many times because she didn't want to accept that her parents are away was pretty hard on me. Crawford gave an interesting view on the behaviour of other survivors and pointed out once more that the walkers may be the lesser danger in that world. The ending was the perfect cliffhanger...thanks for that I guess -_-.

Episode 5: What a high TPM on that one (Tears per minute :D). Still I can't help but feel a bit biased about this one. I guess I mainly don't like the decision that it just set the tracks for Season 2 and, as already mentioned, that ultimately my choices didn't really matter. The last moments with Clementine were exceptionally well done. I can't imagine how it must be for her to see her parents as walkers and losing Lee just moments later. Telling her how strong she is and how proud you are of her while Lee gets weaker and weaker was really bittersweet.
    I also enjoyed Bens "final speech" against Kenny and the moment of realization from him until their final moment. Still, in the end I felt like it doesn't matter what I do too much. The illusion of choice (most of the time it is just an illusion in games) was just not as present as in previous episodes. Especially that there seem to be no differences whether you cut off the arm or not. I was expecting to fail with one of the decisions, be it because you would have needed a second arm or because the infection spread too fast because it's still there. Not to mention the number of persons you have to help you - it's quite annoying that you can do just as much alone as with 5 people. Something like that would have made a huge difference. In the end that would have been what I have wished for: The possibility to fail.

• You repeated only one part, the one that it's about the whole season. Let me repeat the other part: It's also about Episode 5. :D

edit: Uh, you were probably talking about the poll only while I was talking about written replies. Let's hug and go on?

• Fantastic. The part with Lee fighting through the Marsh house was awesome.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Crusher87 said: I'll repeat what's in the (very short) start post: This is about the whole season, not about the last episode!

Writing a personal review later.

The POLL is about the whole Season; the THREAD is for episode 5 reviews also.

Add Comment