User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 4.8K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Gerudan said: She is in the middle of nowhere and if she is safe, as you claim, SHOW it. The last we see of her, is she widening her eyes in fear, that's how safe she is.

She's in the middle of nowhere with a gun, no zombies around and two distant figures who may actually be her friends. In TWD, that's safe.

Your issue really seems to be that there's a little ambiguity to the ending. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• God damn it.. I .. I Paused about 15 times (13 to be precise) In the last few minutes. I cried and couldn't stop..

• I had two main gripes with the final episode:

1. The implausibility of Vernon taking the boat. It just doesn't make sense. Vernon's group was secure, stocked with food and medicine and no longer under the threat of Crawford. He understood Lee's plight, having lost his own daughter. WHY would Vernon dismiss all of this to risk Lee and Clem's lives, while at the same time leaving his safe haven for the risks presented by the boat? Far-fetched.

2. Even if you do not agree with taking the food from the car at the end of episode two, the stranger STILL centres you out for revenge. Why would he do that? Why not Kenny, who was so eager to take the food from the car? Great that they tied this choice in with the bigger picture, but awful that it was an unavoidable tragedy.

• i was very disappointed by this last episode.. I loved the ones before, all of them but honestly i think this one is really bad.. only 2 hours and half to play it, not a lot of surprises and this end...

i really thought clementime would come back to lee with the couple after she escaped and i was really surprised to see the credit straight away after she left lee.. she leaves and there is the credits, that's it!!!! i was sure something will happens after this and it was the end of the game!!?? o_O

and they could have done this episode as interesting than the others.. what happened to her after this? ( i didn't see her in the countryside) what happened to lee? where are the couple? there was something weird with them and i didn't really trust them to take care of clementine so we should be happy with this end with all this questions left? it's like a very good film with a quick shitty end who completly ruins all the scenario.. i guess there will be another season and lee will be alive if it's like in the film but would have been great to do the last episode more interesting and less predictable compared to the other ones and to say it's not really the end...

• @ElderBoss said: 2. Even if you do not agree with taking the food from the car at the end of episode two, the stranger STILL centres you out for revenge. Why would he do that? Why not Kenny, who was so eager to take the food from the car? Great that they tied this choice in with the bigger picture, but awful that it was an unavoidable tragedy.

He centers on Lee because he connects with him as a father. He lost his own kids and now sees a man who, in his eyes, is making all the wrong decisions for another child. He thought he could be a better father for Clementine than Lee was, and that she could be a replacement daughter for him. If Duck had answered the radio, he probably would have fixated on Kenny.

• @Gerudan said: You still have to give the player the feeling of some kind of accomplishment. Now Lee has completely failed, he might as well shot himself in the head with the shotgun from the beginning, what difference would it make? Clem is all alone, hungry, thirsty and will probably die from exhaustion in the next couple of hours. We don't even know who the two silhouettes at the end were. There really is no excuse for such a stupid cliffhanger ending.

Oh look, we will make a second season, so you don't need an ending for the first one, because that is, how good writing works.

How did lee fail? Clem is alive. That has been his goal this entire time. I'm sorry you don't die from exhaustion that quickly. It takes days.
    The problem is people have become spoiled into thinking a protagonist is invincible.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: For the journey, not the ending. Some of the greatest stories ever told have tragic, hopeless endings. Should Romeo and Juliet have lived happily ever after? Should Gatsby have won the love of his life? This was a hopeless story from the very beginning (if you didn't think so, you've never read or watched The Walking Dead) and the fact that Lee managed to find any redemption by the end is an accomplishment.

It's not a game you win.

*Claps

• @Gerudan said: A book is not interactive, a game is. If you don't want the recipient of your story to accomplish anything other than taking in the story, write a book, make a movie, draw a comic, but you don't make a game.

I'm not talking about a happy ending with Lee and Clem living happily ever after, but at least you should know, that Clem is save, if only for the time being. That would still give you room for a sequel, but you would feel, that Lee at least brought her thus far. Now she will die in one or two days as far, as we know (let alone, that we never saw how she got out of the city).

She's not dead. That's about as safe anyone can be in a zombie apocalypse.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: He centers on Lee because he connects with him as a father. He lost his own kids and now sees a man who, in his eyes, is making all the wrong decisions for another child. He thought he could be a better father for Clementine than Lee was, and that she could be a replacement daughter for him. If Duck had answered the radio, he probably would have fixated on Kenny.

I still agree with him though that it's not well implemented. If you hadn't stolen stuff from him you should be able to reason with him or something. See, again a great point where they could have made your choices matter. Instead they just say "Meh, people will probably be just as happy with that guy sort of mentioning what we've done so far". Small things like this could change the plot and make you think that in atleast a small way, your decisions matter. But of course not.

• @docspock said: She's not dead. That's about as safe anyone can be in a zombie apocalypse.

Haha... nope.

But that aside, the ending in itself is just fine. The shitty 'your decisions matter' and 'the story changes based on your actions' stuff is nonsense and is what pisses me off.

Add Comment