User Avatar Image

Blog: Does Walking Dead really tailor itself to your actions?

posted by The13thRonin on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Telltale's the Walking Dead... Where your decisions matter... Except when they don't... All of the time...

Don't get me wrong, a brilliant emotional journey but one without any kind of consequences for your choices at all.

Save Carly? She dies anyway. Save Doug? He dies anyway. Steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. Don't steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. It's not a choice if both options are going to lead to the exact same outcome... Its flavour text...

I figured that we would at least get some pay-off from the epilogue... I feel kind of dissapointed.

I hope that season 2 maintains the same great level of story-telling but actually makes the choices have proper game-changing consequences.

I would not complain if you had not given me such high hopes :p. Season one was good but I hope season two is great.

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @The13thRonin said: It's not a choice if both options are going to lead to the exact same outcome.

You are pretty much right. (I love this game as a movie it's a grade A movie but not as a game)

• I can't imagine a lot of effort would be needed to cycle through all the "Clementine will remember this" options and add in one or two lines of flavour text for an epilogue.

They're probably trying to keep her in play for season 2. Still a low blow if you ask me.

• I do like the fact that when you talk with the guy in the hotel room. He kinda makes you answer for every huge decision you've made in the past concerning Clementine.

I didn't steal from him. I also did not like how this man was making it seem like I was intentionally getting Clementine in danger. I did what I thought was best at the time. I also told him that it wasn't the full story. She was always my primary concern.

• Oh come on man. Not this again.

• if ttg do decide to make choices shape the games outcome prepare to wait ALONG TIME for it...

• I think there wasn't an epilogue because we're going to see how Lee effected Clementine in the next season, to be honest.

And about the choices, I don't know... Just because the outcome is the same doesn't make the choice invalid.
    If you let Ben live, yeah Kenny still dies in the alley, but his sacrifice is WAY more poignant than it is if Ben died at Crawford. It also gives Ben the chance to redeem himself, yeah he still dies, but his death at Crawford is completely different emotionally.

As for the Doug/Carley thing, I think it emulates a sort of helplessness. Yeah, you saved them first time around, but you're not superman, you can't save everyone always. People are gonna die, regardless of whether you saved them in the pharmacy or not.

The stealing from the car thing... yeah, that guy had lost it, and I do feel it was kind of a cop out that he still wants to kill you regardless.

So personally, it's not really just flavour to me. I cared about every decision I made, so much so that I would redo parts of the game even if the outcome was just the same either way.
    The choices REALLY did matter to me, even if the outcomes weren't radically different to each other, they did contribute to the emotional and tonal quality of the game.

• Campman was simply out for one thing: "Revenge" and then even the "I didn't steal from this, because it wasn't right" didn't help either. It just give you for a short time the feeling that Campman might let you & Clementine go.

• A choice between two flavors of text is still a choice. Like the person above said, so-and-so may die either way, but the emotions and reactions can be totally different based off your decisions. Me and my two friends each have different opinions of Kenny, so the way he goes out will feel unique to each of us.

• @oligo said: I think there wasn't an epilogue because we're going to see how Lee effected Clementine in the next season, to be honest.

And about the choices, I don't know... Just because the outcome is the same doesn't make the choice invalid.
    If you let Ben live, yeah Kenny still dies in the alley, but his sacrifice is WAY more poignant than it is if Ben died at Crawford. It also gives Ben the chance to redeem himself, yeah he still dies, but his death at Crawford is completely different emotionally.

As for the Doug/Carley thing, I think it emulates a sort of helplessness. Yeah, you saved them first time around, but you're not superman, you can't save everyone always. People are gonna die, regardless of whether you saved them in the pharmacy or not.

The stealing from the car thing... yeah, that guy had lost it, and I do feel it was kind of a cop out that he still wants to kill you regardless.

So personally, it's not really just flavour to me. I cared about every decision I made, so much so that I would redo parts of the game even if the outcome was just the same either way.
    The choices REALLY did matter to me, even if the outcomes weren't radically different to each other, they did contribute to the emotional and tonal quality of the game.

The most fucked up part is about the people going with you searching for Clem at the start of episode 5.

Doesn't matter because the boat will still be stolen even if you leave the boat with 4 guys.

• ^ thats like saying a character dying in season 6 makes the last 5 seasons pointless since he dies either way. The end results aren't the only thing that matters, but the experiences that get you there. Kenny going with someone to save Clem will change that person's outlook on him compared to someone who Kenny refuses to back up. That particular choice was very important to me, because it affected how I felt when Kenny died.

Add Comment