User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 5.6K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    fusedmass BANNED

I don't know why but I expected a bit more. Like when you tell everyone what to do in the place. The door opens no matter what. And the fact it doesn't matter whom you bring with you. And the whole Lee situation. There should been an option save him. We should least know who they plan bring for staring role in season 2.

• @Destmond said: I can see why a few people are disappointed by the way things went in episode 5. But all it really seems like to me is "This didn't end how I wanted it to and that annoys me". :3

From the very beginning I felt like the game's "true" focus was Clementine. Lee did have his own story, and playing as Lee, every player is going to explore his backstory and generally relate to him more.
    But Lee was Clem's protector, from episode 3 onward it was made clear you could never be 100% sure that everything was going to be okay and that Lee was basically preparing Clementine for how difficult surviving was to be.

Maybe I'm just a little biased because I expected a sad ending from having gotten used to The Walking Dead comics, but that's just how The Walking Dead stories go. It's the apocalypse, things are tragic, and unfair, and if every dramatic, messed up, terrifying moment in the game series existed only to lead to a one in a million chance that Lee lives and they both walk away, it would defeat the whole point.

Tl;dr version: It's a zombie apocalypse, Clementine survived. That's a happy enough ending for me.

I don't get how this was Lee's redemption. It didn't feel like Lee's redemption. It was more a survival story than a redemption.

Also, things don't always have to be tragic in every waking moment. Yes it's the apocalypse, but, that doesn't mean that all is lost.

• @Destmond said: I can see why a few people are disappointed by the way things went in episode 5. But all it really seems like to me is "This didn't end how I wanted it to and that annoys me". :3

From the very beginning I felt like the game's "true" focus was Clementine. Lee did have his own story, and playing as Lee, every player is going to explore his backstory and generally relate to him more.
    But Lee was Clem's protector, from episode 3 onward it was made clear you could never be 100% sure that everything was going to be okay and that Lee was basically preparing Clementine for how difficult surviving was to be.

Maybe I'm just a little biased because I expected a sad ending from having gotten used to The Walking Dead comics, but that's just how The Walking Dead stories go. It's the apocalypse, things are tragic, and unfair, and if every dramatic, messed up, terrifying moment in the game series existed only to lead to a one in a million chance that Lee lives and they both walk away, it would defeat the whole point.

Tl;dr version: It's a zombie apocalypse, Clementine survived. That's a happy enough ending for me.

This didn't feel like Lee's redemption story. It was more of a survival story.

Also, just because it's an apocalypse doesn't mean that it's tragic all the time.

• What disappointed me was that all the decisions made throughout the game and even in episode 5 really amounted to nothing. It was all smoke and mirrors.

I'm cool with Lee dying, it felt an appropriate close to the story after all. But I didn't like finding out that the same characters die at the same point in episode 5 regardless of who went with you or what decisions you made.

That just made the emotional impact of their deaths feel cheap. What's the point getting upset about Ben's death if there was no way that he could have survived? It would have been better if it turned out that not bringing Kenny or Omid along for the final part of the game meant that Ben survived the fall. Or if Ben died, Kenny manages to escape...

I had hoped that the conversation on the hospital roof had been more relevant with Lee being able to pick in the end who Clem would end up escaping with.

Ultimately, I don't think having the same ending and epilogue regardless of your choices was a good idea. It negated the whole point and showed a failure to understand what it was about The Walking Dead that made it such an appealing game to a lot of people. Yes, the story was a good one. But this is a game too and as such the medium means stories can be told in ways that you can't do with film or television.

Good storytelling isn't just about the journey. If a story has a weak ending, that is what the audience takes away with them. The feelings that the ending left them with. I loved so much of the game, but learning that my choices didn't have any real impact on the epilogue... That there was no way to save Kenny or Ben by making different choices... That changed this from Game of the Year to just another good game for me.

It also makes it less appealing to bother playing through the game again to see how things change because I know it all turns out the same in the end.

Bioware made the same mistake on a much larger scale with Mass Effect (with the added insult of a terribly written ending, at least TWD had a good ending that fitted the story.)

So yeah. I was keen to rewind my episode to see what I could do differently, but seeing that it doesn't have any meaningful impact on events has meant I'm really not bothered with playing it again. Doesn't seem worth it right now. And I don't think that is how I should be feeling after a game that claimed to tailor the story around my choices.

• @ElderBoss said: I had two main gripes with the final episode:

1. The implausibility of Vernon taking the boat. It just doesn't make sense. Vernon's group was secure, stocked with food and medicine and no longer under the threat of Crawford. He understood Lee's plight, having lost his own daughter. WHY would Vernon dismiss all of this to risk Lee and Clem's lives, while at the same time leaving his safe haven for the risks presented by the boat? Far-fetched.

Agreed. Especially considering Vernon explicitly said hopping on a boat without a clear destination was a stupid idea. The only thing I can figure is he was a much better liar than anyone gave him credit for.

I can't speak for everyone but im p sure most people complaining about the ending were dissapointed because no matter what your choices were most of em did not have an impact on the story and if they had it would have a very similar if not same outcome, specially when it came to killing off characters.

Not because we didn't got an ending where lee was immune to the infection and he got super powers from it to kill every walker with his hands while spouting overused internet memes and homophobic slurs.

Killing the main character is fine but it needs to be done correctly (wich i think telltale did).

overall the story was great and the ending was breathtaking.

Waiting for season 2

• @Sodawasser said: I know that this is already in the Spoiler Forum but i repeat: don't read if you haven't finished the new episode!!
    I let my Lee back for dying, so Clem didn't have to waste ammo :P
    Does Kenny also die if there is no Ben in the group?
    Do Omid and Krista survive all the time?
    Was in your end Clementine also alone on a field?

Kenny died in mine with no ben.
    Clem. was on her own as well, even though I told her to find Omid and Christa.

• @RoboSheriff said: I can't speak for everyone but im p sure most people complaining about the ending were dissapointed because no matter what your choices were most of em did not have an impact on the story and if they had it would have a very similar if not same outcome, specially when it came to killing off characters.

This.

• Oh, whoops. I vented in the 'Review' thread. Well, at least I'm not alone in my thoughts :)

• @Chuck's Guitar said: I What kills me is that the ending felt so terribly rushed. There was no real epilogue - and a dialogue-less scene with two unidentified characters doesn't count, either.

exactly my thoughts and the word i was searching (sorry i'm french :p), the end is completly rushed and there is so much questions without answers.. when i've seen the credits i've thought "what the f*ck?? that's it?" it's not really about the dead of Lee or not but the way things have been done, the scenario was really great for all episodes but for this one it feels like it's been rushed and I was really disappointed..

Add Comment