User Avatar Image

Blog: Does Walking Dead really tailor itself to your actions?

posted by The13thRonin on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

Telltale's the Walking Dead... Where your decisions matter... Except when they don't... All of the time...

Don't get me wrong, a brilliant emotional journey but one without any kind of consequences for your choices at all.

Save Carly? She dies anyway. Save Doug? He dies anyway. Steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. Don't steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. It's not a choice if both options are going to lead to the exact same outcome... Its flavour text...

I figured that we would at least get some pay-off from the epilogue... I feel kind of dissapointed.

I hope that season 2 maintains the same great level of story-telling but actually makes the choices have proper game-changing consequences.

I would not complain if you had not given me such high hopes :p. Season one was good but I hope season two is great.

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chomposaur said: ^ thats like saying a character dying in season 6 makes the last 5 seasons pointless since he dies either way. The end results aren't the only thing that matters, but the experiences that get you there. Kenny going with someone to save Clem will change that person's outlook on him compared to someone who Kenny refuses to back up. That particular choice was very important to me, because it affected how I felt when Kenny died.

The case of Kenny is pretty much the same. He finally shows his angel side.

• @Chanut_N said: The case of Kenny is pretty much the same. He finally shows his angel side.

Yeah, but if he refused to go with me at the end of Ep. 4 I wouldn't have felt bad to see him go. Him agreeing to go with me made me like him again and make up with him in the attic, so it changed how I felt about his death. Even though the end result is the same, it was still an important choice for me.

• @Chanut_N said: The most fucked up part is about the people going with you searching for Clem at the start of episode 5.

Doesn't matter because the boat will still be stolen even if you leave the boat with 4 guys.

It did matter to me.

On one of my saves everyone was going with me - It felt great that everyone was banding together to go and look for Clem, that everyone was working together as a team.

The other I didn't reveal the bite and went by myself - I felt like crap after coming back and realising everyone got beaten up and the boat got stolen - with Omid's leg and Christa being pregnant, Kenny was the only one that could really do any fighting, and I left them to defend for themselves. If I was honest we would have gone together and, yeah, the boat would still be stolen, but at least I didn't abandon them and let them get beaten up.

But this game is a very personal experience, so I imagine it differs for everyone.

• Another example would be Ben's fate.

Letting him fall to his death in the bell tower was very satisfying to someone I know who despised Ben and had wanted him dead since Ep. 3.

But seeing him and Kenny make up and go out together was very satisfying to me who had tried to keep the group together the whole time.

So just because Ben dies regardless doesn't mean that every choice pertaining to his character was pointless, they change the way you experience the story and the emotions you feel as you play.

• @Chomposaur said: So just because Ben dies regardless doesn't mean that every choice pertaining to his character was pointless, they change the way you experience the story and the emotions you feel as you play.

Exactly.

Also, in making the choice, you're defining who Lee is as a person, and the limits of what he'd do to continue surviving. That serves to strongly personalise the story for you, even if it doesn't end up changing anything.

I wouldn't mind seeing more varied consequences for our actions in Season Two, but I won't complain about the consequences that we received in Season One. They served the story well enough, and if you played through the game 'properly' (or, to not use a loaded term, on your first playthrough without reloading past savegames), you'll certainly feel like your choices are all-important.

• In IGN's review, at the very end it said "Hold on to your saves". So I can assume that means that our save files will be used in Season Two, shaping Clementine into the character she now is.

• @The13thRonin said: Telltale's the Walking Dead... Where your decisions matter... Except when they don't... All of the time...

Don't get me wrong, a brilliant emotional journey but one without any kind of consequences for your choices at all.

Save Carly? She dies anyway. Save Doug? He dies anyway. Steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. Don't steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. It's not a choice if both options are going to lead to the exact same outcome... Its flavour text...

I figured that we would at least get some pay-off from the epilogue... I feel kind of dissapointed.

I hope that season 2 maintains the same great level of story-telling but actually makes the choices have proper game-changing consequences.

I would not complain if you had not given me such high hopes :p. Season one was good but I hope season two is great.

But remember, you dont controll the fate of what individual group members think, you only controlled lee.

• I don't know. I feel that thematically, ending the game without any kind of extensive epilogue is probably appropriate.

One of the big themes of the game is about parenthood. Most parent know, or at least hope that their children will outlive them. What happens once their gone is out of their hands. All you can do is prepare them, give them the emotional tools they need to carry on.

That's why the after-credits scene is so note perfect. How it ends on such a huge question-mark. You don't know for certain if the figures are Christa and Omid, friendly or unfriendly, or even for sure if their not walkers (they're probably not, but that's still a 'probably'). For you, Clementine's whole future ends on a question-mark.

All you can hope for is that you did the best you could.

• My two big problems with this game were the bugs and the choices that didn't mean much.
    But it is one of the best experiences I've had this generation but obviously these are two problems that could help it become even more greater.

• @JByrne said: I don't know. I feel that thematically, ending the game without any kind of extensive epilogue is probably appropriate.

One of the big themes of the game is about parenthood. Most parent know, or at least hope that their children will outlive them. What happens once their gone is out of their hands. All you can do is prepare them, give them the emotional tools they need to carry on.

That's why the after-credits scene is so note perfect. How it ends on such a huge question-mark. You don't know for certain if the figures are Christa and Omid, friendly or unfriendly, or even for sure if their not walkers (they're probably not, but that's still a 'probably'). For you, Clementine's whole future ends on a question-mark.

All you can hope for is that you did the best you could.

Yes. This.

The story was about Lee finding redemption (and, in the process, fatherhood). Once there was no more Lee, the story was over. What happens to Clem is unclear because that's a whole different story. Maybe it's Season 2's story.

Add Comment