User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @RoboSheriff said: I can't speak for everyone but im p sure most people complaining about the ending were dissapointed because no matter what your choices were most of em did not have an impact on the story and if they had it would have a very similar if not same outcome, specially when it came to killing off characters.

This.

• Oh, whoops. I vented in the 'Review' thread. Well, at least I'm not alone in my thoughts :)

• @Chuck's Guitar said: I What kills me is that the ending felt so terribly rushed. There was no real epilogue - and a dialogue-less scene with two unidentified characters doesn't count, either.

exactly my thoughts and the word i was searching (sorry i'm french :p), the end is completly rushed and there is so much questions without answers.. when i've seen the credits i've thought "what the f*ck?? that's it?" it's not really about the dead of Lee or not but the way things have been done, the scenario was really great for all episodes but for this one it feels like it's been rushed and I was really disappointed..

• I can't believe that people are upset with the ending. The greatest thing about this game is that you are placed in a world that keeps you on your toes pretty much at all times to add a sense of realism to the experience. It would diminish that feeling if you knew that you were invincible. Too many games, books, and movies these days have a happy ending, and it's nice to have some variety at times.
    Great work Telltale! I'm looking forward to whatever's in store for Clementine in the next season.

@Flona1972 said: exactly my thoughts and the word i was searching (sorry i'm french ), the end is completly rushed and there is so much questions without answers.. when i've seen the credits i've thought "what the f*ck?? that's it?" it's not really about the dead of Lee or not but the way things have been done, the scenario was really great for all episodes but for this one it feels like it's been rushed and I was really disappointed..
    What questions are there? Any questions that I can think of would be explained at the start of the next season.

• For me, Campman was the most disappointing part of the finale. Yes, it was nice to have the revelation about how looting the station wagon impacted someone else, but as Chuck's Guitar pointed out, the character was way too underdeveloped to make a viable final nemesis.

Also, I found his particular brand of crazy more annoying than scary. Between the 'I may be a monster, BUT AT LEAST I'M NOT AS BAD AS YOU!' act and the talking to the zombified head of his wife I found zero tension/sympathy in the scene because I was too busy rolling my eyes. I think Campman may have replaced the deranged grocery store manager in Dead Rising as the lamest random 'psychopath' in a zombie video game.

• The ending touched me deeply, I hated knowing that Lee was gonna die eventually. I hate that I lashed out at Kenny when he was only trying to help, and I hate that Clem is not with Lee anymore.
    I told her to walk away from me, and save her bullets. It broke my heart when she said her goodbyes.
    Only thing I was dissapointed with, was that episode 5 felt short. I wish it was longer.

• im only dissapointed that the game ended with a cliffhanger

• @cfergs said: I can't believe that people are upset with the ending. The greatest thing about this game is that you are placed in a world that keeps you on your toes pretty much at all times to add a sense of realism to the experience. It would diminish that feeling if you knew that you were invincible. Too many games, books, and movies these days have a happy ending, and it's nice to have some variety at times.
    Great work Telltale! I'm looking forward to whatever's in store for Clementine in the next season.

What questions are there? Any questions that I can think of would be explained at the start of the next season.

I think you're missing the point. Most people are fine with the ending being sad. What they are disappointed about most is that none of their choices actually *meant* anything in the end. Characters die at the same point in the story regardless of who comes with you and what decisions you make.

Doing so makes all those decisions ultimately pointless from a gameplay perspective. Why bother having choices that have to be made with a timer clicking down when ultimately sitting back and saying nothing leads to the exact same outcome?

If the writers don't want to have multiple endings to their story, then they shouldn't be making a game that claims to tailor the story based on players' choices. They should write book, comic or movie.

I'm getting tired of seeing games that make grandiose claims of choice and consequence for it to all be smoke and mirrors. There are games that tell good stories that have actual choice and consequence, and I (for one) will not let TTG slide just because the story was told well. It was a good tale, but they could have done better with the game side of things.

Edit: I was ready to vote TWD game of the year until the ending showed that this was just another adventure game in the end. Telling a good story is not enough to be GotY in my book. It also needs to be a great game. The gameplay I was sold on - your choices matter - ended up not being delivered on enough to impress me. It was a great game, but like so many games this year it tripped over just when the ending was in sight.

• @UndeadDollface said: I think Campman may have replaced the deranged grocery store manager in Dead Rising as the lamest random 'psychopath' in a zombie video game.

hey that was a very serious character, grocery store manager4lyfe

@UndeadDollface said: im only dissapointed that the game ended with a cliffhanger

ya thats why i always thought that it was going to be a problem to continue the story of clem or any member of the group of season 1, They had to end up with a cliffhanger.. can just hope season 2 comes next month lol.

• In my opinion Episode 5 was the best episode of the season.

I would rate them: 5, 2, 1, 4, 3

So far I have only played through the final episode once and I was satisfied enough with it.

I have one thing to beg of Telltale for Season 2 though...

In order to have a compelling story you must have compelling characters. This is something that this game lacks as just when character development might occur zombies come barging in and cause a ruckus. Now, I came into the game wanting a Walking Dead game and on some fronts it was delivered but on others I am left wanting.

Figure out some way to give depth to the secondary characters next time around.

The only 3 decently fleshed out characters are: Lee, Kenny, and Clementine.

Since Lee and Kenny both passed we are left with only 1 of the half-way fleshed out characters to continue the game for Season 2.

I don't want to say that much of the time was wasted in Season 1 because I did enjoy hearing Lee talk about Newspapers and other random objects he came across but with the most developed character thrown in the trash where does that leave us off for Season 2?

It leaves us with a mostly fresh start which I honestly see as sort of semi-pointless.

I say this all as a fan because I will be throwing money at any new episodes that come out but I just wish that you could retain the Walking Dead spirit without killing half of the cast off in each episode while trying to develop characters and making a few more non-fatal tragedies occur.

If I had one other wish it would be episodes once a month but apparently it was not meant to be (even though it's part of the reason I bought the game...)

There were a bunch of problems with the narrative arc of season one but the finale was fine by me.

I called out Telltale that they weren't going to kill Lee midway through the season and they did it. Can't argue with that (even if it does damage the narrative in many ways).

So yeah, tighten up the narrative and release quality monthly episodes and you're golden.

I appreciate the work you Telltale folk are doing. Keep up the good work and hopefully we see some better quality episodes next season with a more cohesive arc.

Add Comment