User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 5K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Here we go again, the ending sucks because the main character dies! It's mass effect/ L.A. Noire all over again. Just because not everyone lives happily ever after, what is very unlikely in a zombie apocalypse, doesn't mean the ending is bad. It's literature and it makes for a worthy ending for this great story.

• @Greekcian said: Here we go again, the ending sucks because the main character dies! It's mass effect/ L.A. Noire all over again. Just because not everyone lives happily ever after, what is very unlikely in a zombie apocalypse, doesn't mean the ending is bad. It's literature and it makes for a worthy ending for this great story.

I think it's less about his death and more about player choice. Some people think that when a game gives you player choice, you should be able to remake the story any way you like. Of course, this is pretty contrary to life, where most of what happens to you is completely out of your hands, regardless of the choices you make.

• @Greekcian said: Here we go again, the ending sucks because the main character dies! It's mass effect/ L.A. Noire all over again. Just because not everyone lives happily ever after, what is very unlikely in a zombie apocalypse, doesn't mean the ending is bad. It's literature and it makes for a worthy ending for this great story.

Again Mass effect's ending sucked because it wasn't based around the idea that made the series so popular, Choices. You could choose from what you were going to say to nail your alien blue partner to decide what was going the fate of an entire planet.

All that went through the toilet at the end of making the ending leaving you a everyone dies or everyone lives ending despite everything you had to go through to make that.

• The countryside thing was kind of bittersweet I thought. I would have liked it to reveal that Clementine was living on a farm in the countryside with Christa and Omid, then it would have wrapped up their story well. I don't like the thought of Clementine fending for herself after everything that happened, and I really hope that was Christa and Omid on the hill. Apart from that I loved it.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: I think it's less about his death and more about player choice. Some people think that when a game gives you player choice, you should be able to remake the story any way you like. Of course, this is pretty contrary to life, where most of what happens to you is completely out of your hands, regardless of the choices you make.

I just don't get is why people are surprised about this at the end. There are so many events that occur in the game regardless of what you choose. If you ultimately have no power to control whether or not your group will loot a station wagon why would you be able control the fate of your character?

• Why are there still people complaining about the "choices" thing, the game is tailored to the choices you made, meaning the plot will stay on course, your choices will only alter dialog and scenes, not the entire plot.

It's like tailoring a shirt, sure you'll get different sizes and what not according to your measurements, it will still be a shirt, not a freaking jacket.

I, for one, am satisfied with what Telltale did with the game

• I actually really, really wanted this ending - so much so that when Kenny wanted to lop my arm off, I said hell no, just on the off chance that it ushered in some touchy-feely rainbows and unicorn farts ending. I wanted everything to culminate in the heart-wrenching death of Lee, ultimately for the protection of Clementine.

• Only problem i had at the ending was the fucking two people in the distance...its assumed its omid and christa but what if its not? Shitty cliffhangers i hate them.

The perfect ending would of been clem meeting up with them two, alas.

Out of curiosity what was the last words you said to clem? Likely unimportant, but interesting nonetheless - i figured "ill miss you" would be unhelpful in that situation so reminding her to not be afraid more helpful.

Edit : If you carry on with season 2 telltale which im sure you will, remember DONT FUCK UP THE ACCEPTED GAMEPLAY, everytime we get a sequel to a great game, not necessarily from you, gameplay mechanics change etc, please just continue making great games dont change the formula.

Oh here we go again, the ending is great because it's a hipster "the main character must die!!!!!!" ending.

• Y'all need to stop immediately looking for all the reasons to hate the game. I've been over this before so I'll do it one more time, and then you guys can pretend like it isn't true to feel better about feeling worse about episode 5.

You never got to change the story with your choices, and that was never advertised, not even once. You got to tailor your experience to your decisions, which is what happens all throughout the series. I wish there had been a little more going on under the hood but they made most of the flavor dialog feel genuine and I rarely felt like I was totally without impact to the story. The only reason some of you feel that now is because you either came in with the misconception that it was a choose your own adventure book or you tried to replay the game and ruined the mechanics for yourself. It isn't a game about re-playability, it's an adventure game where you make the best decisions you can and you still get screwed in your very own personalized way.

I think the vague ending was the best possible ending but that's just my taste for the grimdark speaking. The best and only possible ending involves Clementine being alone and scared, knowing everyone she ever loved is dead, more afraid of humans than walkers. That's The Walking Dead for me, and that's what makes it great. I think it would have been a terrible cop-out to give you any kind of closure or a happy ending, and I'm super happy they left it as bleak as they did.

That said, there were definitely some parts of the game that felt contrived. Saw off your own arm without meds and just walk it off? Talk through a crowd of zombies like Conan the Barbarian? Immediately regrouped with your party even though you chose to go alone? Meh. Weak writing, but it didn't ruin it for me like 4's writing ruined it for me. I'm happy with what we got either way.

Add Comment