User Avatar Image

Which choices change things drastically? (EP 5 SPOILERS GALORE)

posted by aguyuno on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

So I've finished episode 5, but I had some q's about how different certain things are if I had chosen differently. So could I ask for people who HAVE played this way to answer some of them?

1) If you didn't save Ben at the clocktower, does Kenny ultimately end up living? Or does he still manage to die? Also, if you REALLY lose your temper with him, is it possible to like bash his head in with that marble statue instead of just throw it and have Omid deliver his best line of the series ("...Dude you totally wrecked that guy's face")?

2) If you send Omid/Christa AFTER you on that sign you cross, do either of them end up falling/dying? Or do they always survive beyond the end?

3) If you didn't kill the st. johns (I did), or help kill Larry (I did), or abandon Lily (I did) or, most importantly, help steal that guy's shit... does he end up being less angry with you? Or is it even someone else? Or is he still a raging psychopath?

4) If you go ALONE for the first part of the game, when you come back do you instead find like a whole bunch of bodies from Vernon and crew, or do they always steal your shit?

I think I had some more q's, but I forget them so this will do for now. Any answers will do :). Oh, and also, was that zombie in the hotel supposed to be Molly? Asking because you DO see an Andrea zombie at one point and yeah.

And also, how come Christa barely reacts when Lee calls her on being pregnant? She and Omid aren't surprised at ALL that he knows... even though she makes it pretty obvious, it's still weird.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I played this game for its story and i got what i wanted. The choices did matter to me because it changed the dialogues and if some of the people help you ore not.

i saved Duck on Hershels Farm. Kenny is Thankful
    i defensed him against larry. Kenny is Thankful
    I didn't helped him Killing Larry, leaving him alone with the guilt and he nearly let me die in the Drugstore.
    I shoot the Girl in the streets to buy us time and he told that to everyone what made me pissed at him even more.
    I saved Carley in Episode one witch given me the chance to tell everyone about my past. Couldn't trust Kenny anymore so i don't told him so now he is more pissed when Lilly told them all.

Leads to the Moment when i need his help and i don't get it from him. Would i have chosen otherwise he would have come with me. And even if he goes with me he would do it because of other reasons.

Thats enough choice for me. As much i liked Heavy rain because of the different endings every time i played i liked TWD more because i really cared for this story witch wasn't the thing with Heavy Rain.

(sorry for the mistakes in this text. i´m from austria so english isn't exactly my strong language xP)

• @aguyuno said: So I've finished episode 5, but I had some q's about how different certain things are if I had chosen differently. So could I ask for people who HAVE played this way to answer some of them?

1) If you didn't save Ben at the clocktower, does Kenny ultimately end up living? Or does he still manage to die? Also, if you REALLY lose your temper with him, is it possible to like bash his head in with that marble statue instead of just throw it and have Omid deliver his best line of the series ("...Dude you totally wrecked that guy's face")?

2) If you send Omid/Christa AFTER you on that sign you cross, do either of them end up falling/dying? Or do they always survive beyond the end?

3) If you didn't kill the st. johns (I did), or help kill Larry (I did), or abandon Lily (I did) or, most importantly, help steal that guy's shit... does he end up being less angry with you? Or is it even someone else? Or is he still a raging psychopath?

4) If you go ALONE for the first part of the game, when you come back do you instead find like a whole bunch of bodies from Vernon and crew, or do they always steal your shit?

I think I had some more q's, but I forget them so this will do for now. Any answers will do :). Oh, and also, was that zombie in the hotel supposed to be Molly? Asking because you DO see an Andrea zombie at one point and yeah.

And also, how come Christa barely reacts when Lee calls her on being pregnant? She and Omid aren't surprised at ALL that he knows... even though she makes it pretty obvious, it's still weird.

i finished playing it for my twelfth time today. i plan on writing a complete episode 5 choices/decision topic on here and gamefaqs and I just need one more playthrough to obtain all choices. So take my answers for the truth.

1. He will live longer than when saving ben, the part where they are on a roof and look down the hole will be different if ben was not brought along. when they look down, they see no zombies at all. Lee assumes no one's inside, but Omid says he can hear and smell them. Kenny pulls a Ben on Lee by making Lee drop the walkie talkie accidentally, and Christie decides to bring it up. Then, you see a silhouette of a walker in the background (like in the trailer), and she realizes that there are a lot more walkers down there, so Lee has to look for a pole to lift her up, but Christa ends up falling back down with the pole. Realizing how foolish he was acting at the attic, Kenny decides to "man up" and go down to lift her up. Oh, and if you save Ben the dead couple's gun only has one bullet. If Ben died, it was still loaded with a few more bullets. He goes down and the walkers show up. He shoots three times, before what it appears to be him running out of ammo, and zombies can be heard making gnarling/munching sounds. If you treated Kenny like an ass, he won't kill you and you won't kill him. None of you will be hurt at all.

2.Lee ends up making it fall by itself while Christa and Omid are stranded on the roof that they were standing on. The conversation stays the same.

3. He will actually be a lot less angry with you, but will tell you that after everything he heard from Clementine, he realizes that you were worse than the people who took the food.

4. if you went alone, the group still gets trapped as the cancer group had guns and weapons. kenny will try fighting but just get beat up.

• @ruairi46 said: Which choices change the story you ask? I believe the word is None?

Precisely. None.

• @Gerudan said: It is deliberate alright, but only to keep the costs small and the development times short. ;)

THAT is the only reason. They pretend, that you tailor your story, when you never did.

Ummm it did tailor my story. Do you know what that means? If I tailor a shirt, it may have a personal touch, but it still is a shirt! Same with the story. It DID tailor to what I did, but it is still the same redemption story, but with my personal touches.

I got to know Doug and listened to his walker trap to fight them off and live
    I showed the farmers I mean business
    I trusted Clem to join me to a dangerous place
    I watched as Kenny sacrificed himself to save a kid that could've died and episode prior
    I saw who was with me when I needed it the most, Christa, Omid, and Ben
    When campmen finally revealed himself, I got satisfaction to know it wasn't ME who screwed up his life
    A crazy girl hijacked our RV and drove off

These are just a few things I did and things that COULD'VE been avoided if I made different choices. It WAS tailored, NO game has EVER had major changes due to your choices. What the heck made you think a small company would do it?

The teams all meeting back regardless though was Bullcrap :p

• @TripleZero said: I do so hate Games/Movies without a proper outlook on what happens with the characters...

I mean supposedly those 2 figures in the distance clem spots are being Christa and Omid, BUT DO WE REALLY KNOW?

I would have been nice to actually see them finding clementine and see some kind of reunion atleast.

Also Lees eyes are yellow when he dies (if you cut his arm off, that is)
    Which means he died of blood poisoning (correct me if im wrong, i dont have a medical degree)

So yeah, They cut off his arm IN A FUCKING HOSPITAL !

Now call me a hater but, really?

There were no antibiotics in the entire hospital? Where did Omids antibiotics go ? And dont tell me they used them all up, because when i find antibiotics in a ZA im definetly gonna grab as much as i can carry.

Now i know antibiotics arent like magically healing sepsis but they might. Atleast they would have slowed it down.

And you dont have to be a doctor for anticipating it to happen, i mean they cut off his arm in a non-sterilized room with some dusty old saw they found.... HELLO???? never watched emergency room?

The two largest causes of yellow eyes are liver dysfunction or issues with the breakdown of the red blood cells.

Found it here -- http://www.ehow.com/about_5113831_causes-eye-turn-yellow-humans.html

But we're looking into it a bit too much into it. Lee's gone already

• Choices are about affecting the player, not the game. It was never about OH MAN LOOK HOW DIFFERENT WE CAN MAKE EVERYTHING, it was about making the player explore emotional decisions and truly tell a story about who Lee was. Was Lee a survivalist or an idealist? Stoic or sympathetic? What did he really care about? At the end of the game your answers will have been coloured and affected by the choices you made in the game; just because there weren't a million different ways to affect the game every time you said something doesn't change a thing about that.

• @Gerudan said: No choices have ever changed anything in this game. ;)

Even when you think "Wow, now there will be dozens of different versions of Ep. 5, because of the different teams!", it was just a blatant lie at the end of Ep. 4. They wanted you to think, that it would make a difference, but it never did.

I have never understood this point of view where people seem to think one "Action" will completely alter an ongoing flow of events into something unrecognizable from a completely different choice.

If you cross a river, and have points A, B and C to choose from.... once you get past the river, you're on the other side no matter which choice you made. But which point you took, determines the type of crossing you had.

• @Gman5852 said: Ummm it did tailor my story. Do you know what that means? If I tailor a shirt, it may have a personal touch, but it still is a shirt! Same with the story. It DID tailor to what I did, but it is still the same redemption story, but with my personal touches.

I got to know Doug and listened to his walker trap to fight them off and live
    I showed the farmers I mean business
    I trusted Clem to join me to a dangerous place
    I watched as Kenny sacrificed himself to save a kid that could've died and episode prior
    I saw who was with me when I needed it the most, Christa, Omid, and Ben
    When campmen finally revealed himself, I got satisfaction to know it wasn't ME who screwed up his life
    A crazy girl hijacked our RV and drove off

These are just a few things I did and things that COULD'VE been avoided if I made different choices. It WAS tailored, NO game has EVER had major changes due to your choices. What the heck made you think a small company would do it?

The teams all meeting back regardless though was Bullcrap :p

That's a really lousy defense for TellTale. Sure, the game is tweaked along the way, but your choices ultimately result in the same experience. So the "personal touch" thing is irrelevant. You brought Lily with you, another player didn't. She still ended up leaving the group. That's the problem people have with the game. Tailored is just a clever word TellTale used to get people to think their choices actually mattered. Yes, it's a small company, but it shouldn't have given the illusion of choice to players. Still, great game.

As for you thinking no game ever had major changes due to choice. Slow down, dude. You must've never played a Bioware game. There are plenty of games where your choices effect the outcome.

• @Doctanian said:

You must've never played a Bioware game.

Red, green, blue?:rolleyes:

• @Doctanian said: That's a really lousy defense for TellTale. Sure, the game is tweaked along the way, but your choices ultimately result in the same experience. So the "personal touch" thing is irrelevant. You brought Lily with you, another player didn't. She still ended up leaving the group. That's the problem people have with the game. Tailored is just a clever word TellTale used to get people to think their choices actually mattered. Yes, it's a small company, but it shouldn't have given the illusion of choice to players. Still, great game.

As for you thinking no game ever had major changes due to choice. Slow down, dude. You must've never played a Bioware game. There are plenty of games where your choices effect the outcome.

Uh, I'm sorry but you're wrong. It doesn't result in the same experience. Some people may have made the same choices as me or different choices that ended in the same outcome, but the way I felt when making those choices, how I felt after seeing it affecting the characters around me, how I perceived those characters seeing how they were changing as the game progressed... those things are personal. I can assure you no one had the same experience as me. Or the same experience as anyone for that matter. I can't say the choices mattered from a storyline viewpoint, but I can say they mattered to me, which is what the game's about.

Add Comment