User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 4.6K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • GOOD EPISODE, FINE WITH LEE DYING, SO I DON'T EVEN WANNA HEAR THAT SHIT FROM YOU PEOPLE LIKE "AWWW UR JUS MAD DAT LEE DIED IT DA WALKIN DED PPL DIE ALL DA TYME DEAL W/ IT MURMUMUR!!11"

EAT A DICK.

EPISODE WAS GREAT. I THINK THEY DID HIS DEATH REAL GOOD.

ONLY THING THAT PISSES ME OFF IS THAT UR DECISIONS DON'T MEAN SHIT. LIKE WTF? CHOP ARM OFF? STILL DIE. WHO DID YOU BRING WITH YOU? DOESN'T MATTER WE ALL GON DIE ANYWAY SMH.

SECOND THING IS THAT WHEN LEE DIES, THE SHIT IMMEDIATELY GOES TO CREDITS. WTF? CAN I SEE HOW CLEM MAKES IT OUT? CAN I SEE LEE TURNING INTO A WALKER IF I TOLD HER NOT TO BUST A CAP IN MY DOME?

LASTLY, THE MOST ANNOYING THING OF ALL IS THE DAMN ENDING. WTF IS THE MEANING OF THIS CLIFFHANGER SHIT? CLEM STARING AT TWO BLACK SHADOWS WALKING AND SHE'S STARING AT THEM SHAKING LIKE MICHAEL J. FOX. WTF?

GOOD EP, SHITTY CLIFFHANGERa

• @Sonic Boyster said: You never got to change the story with your choices, and that was never advertised, not even once. You got to tailor your experience to your decisions, which is what happens all throughout the series. I wish there had been a little more going on under the hood but they made most of the flavor dialog feel genuine and I rarely felt like I was totally without impact to the story. The only reason some of you feel that now is because you either came in with the misconception that it was a choose your own adventure book or you tried to replay the game and ruined the mechanics for yourself. It isn't a game about re-playability, it's an adventure game where you make the best decisions you can and you still get screwed in your very own personalized way.

Yup.

And damn, Billy, capslock.

• @John W. said: I actually really, really wanted this ending - so much so that when Kenny wanted to lop my arm off, I said hell no, just on the off chance that it ushered in some touchy-feely rainbows and unicorn farts ending. I wanted everything to culminate in the heart-wrenching death of Lee, ultimately for the protection of Clementine.

I have to agree with this, but there are certain aspects of the ending I did not like which was that Lee miraculously saved Clemintine during the Walker encounter and while I have already complained about this I still stick by the fact that the vase should have rendered Lee unable to help Clemintine (due to it causing him to go unconscious) and perhaps the scene I am portraying would be that of a death scene or an alternate ending whereas the player failed to recognise the immediate danger to Clemintine, rather than ensuring protection against a certain problem which might not even pose a threat, if the player had trained Clemintine well. Otherwise I really liked the ending even though Lee died, there is a glimmer of hope as Clemintine (and even Christa and Omid) will carry on the story from Season 1 which makes the existence of Season 2 worth it and I felt that the ending was very much like the Road whereas the father prior to his death, would let his son live on, giving him his gun and warning him not to trust anyone.

With regards other things I didn't like about the episode is the fact that the choice of who comes with you on the rescue mission of Clemintine is absolutely worthless as it lands you in the exact same path. In my opinion the game never should have brought you back to the manor as the Marsh House was one of the places to go and I feel that if Lee went solo or went with other characters and leaving one at the house, then this group should at least feel secure about the boat and focus on getting Clemintine which is the main story of Episode 5.

Campman was a little disappointing as well as he seemed to be a very interesting Mystery Character prior to our meeting with him as we knew so little about him except for the few times he has contacted us and when we actually do get to meet him, rather than being an interesting figure with some sort of agenda for Clementine, he takes the same route as Vernon and takes Clementine on the basis that he feels that Lee is unfit to care for her and that he is a better father figure. However I felt the back story we got on him was pretty good although I do wish he would stop pretending to be Hershel by entering this fantasy that his wife is alive as shown by him talking to her animate head (she is a walker). To finish this statement I would like to say that at least the choices made in previous episodes had a big impact, although this was mainly on how this guy thinks of Lee rather than it having a physical effect on the story or the events that play out.

• It just seems like it's another spin from something else Gary Whitta wrote about a guy that finds a girl, trains her to survive, then dies. What was that called again... Oh right The Book of Eli. Same story, post apocalyptic with the main character dying & the support character taking on the mantle.

Also with The Walking Dead comic book hasn't Rick trained Carl enough so he can take over? Why is it Rick is still alive? Why does Lee have to die? It also seems like a lot of the stuff in the game has already happened in the comics!

• @DarthVader1333 said: It just seems like it's another spin from something else Gary Whitta wrote about a guy that finds a girl, trains her to survive, then dies. What was that called again... Oh right The Book of Eli. Same story, post apocalyptic with the main character dying & the support character taking on the mantle.

Also with The Walking Dead comic book hasn't Rick trained Carl enough so he can take over? Why is it Rick is still alive? Why does Lee have to die? It also seems like a lot of the stuff in the game has already happened in the comics!

I am guessing its due to the fact that Lee is nothing more than another "survivor" in the Zombie Apocalypse whereas Rick would be considered the protagonist of the story.

• @fishmahboi said: I am guessing its due to the fact that Lee is nothing more than another "survivor" in the Zombie Apocalypse whereas Rick would be considered the protagonist of the story.

Plus Rick's just been exceptionally lucky (if you can call it that). Kirkman's never hidden the fact that he's very likely to kill Rick off at some point, and would probably keep the series going past him.

• Like, I would give an awful lot to be able to have an ending with Lee and Clem walking off together with Omid and Christa. But that's not because the ending was bad. It's because it was effective. Telltale really, really made me care about Clem and Lee.

What the audience wants, and what the audience needs rarely match.

Re: The epilogue, I'll just copy/paste what I wrote in another thread:

I feel that thematically, ending the game without any kind of extensive epilogue is probably appropriate.

One of the big themes of the game is about parenthood. Most parents know (or at least hope) that their children will outlive them. What happens once you've gone is out of your hands. All you can do is prepare them, give them the emotional tools they need to carry on.

That's why the after-credits scene is so note perfect. How it ends on such a huge question-mark. You don't know for certain if the figures are Christa and Omid, friendly or unfriendly, or even for sure if they're not walkers (they're probably not, but that's still a 'probably'). For you, Clementine's whole future is uncertain.

All you can hope for is that you did the best you could.

• @ElderBoss said: I had two main gripes with the final episode:

1. The implausibility of Vernon taking the boat. It just doesn't make sense. Vernon's group was secure, stocked with food and medicine and no longer under the threat of Crawford. He understood Lee's plight, having lost his own daughter. WHY would Vernon dismiss all of this to risk Lee and Clem's lives, while at the same time leaving his safe haven for the risks presented by the boat? Far-fetched.

Yeah how could 4 old cancer survivors do this? And if you left no one the boat, why would they steal the only hope of 4 healthy adults and 2 kids? I thought better of Vernon and his people.

• the biggest disappointment I have is that the episode was way to short and didn't seem to have alot of substance. it was like looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner for a month and finding out when you got there it was vegen., or opening presents on Christmas day and findind socks and underwear.

• @DarthVader1333 said: It just seems like it's another spin from something else Gary Whitta wrote about a guy that finds a girl, trains her to survive, then dies. What was that called again... Oh right The Book of Eli. Same story, post apocalyptic with the main character dying & the support character taking on the mantle.

Don't worry. The totally hipster "the main character must DIIIIEEE NAO!" ending just isn't here, yet.

Add Comment