User Avatar Image

Has TellTale single handidly revolutionized video game narrative's as we know it?

posted by DatDude on - last edited - Viewed by 583 users

I think yes.

This might just be our "citizen kane" in terms of video game importance and a template of how to create video game narrative and story development.

Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if the walking dead becomes the focus towards college lectures as well.

bravo tell tale!

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I really liked the game and I think that I will buy season 2 but anyway, there was no single aspect about that game revolutionary. Good story, like in other games; no real choices, like in other games; worse enginge and graphic details than in other games; zombies like in other games; what was really revolutionary? Like I have already said I really liked that game but please stop to crawl just because you are in the developers forum.

  • @Sodawasser said: I really liked the game and I think that I will buy season 2 but anyway, there was no single aspect about that game revolutionary. Good story, like in other games; no real choices, like in other games; worse enginge and graphic details than in other games; zombies like in other games; what was really revolutionary? Like I have already said I really liked that game but please stop to crawl just because you are in the developers forum.

    The character development.

    Most games have characters that you don't give 2 shits about. They created a great supporting cast of characters. The characters were intriguing, they werent your typical mary sue archtype characters. They had pasts, they had depth, they had genuine human condition parallels. This also had one of the best writing in a game to date in my opinion as well.

    The voice acting was top notch and well delivered. The pacing was great, and the various plot devices that were used were very intuitive for a video game to use.

    Maybe the walking dead isn't "revolutionary" but it does set a new benchmark in terms of what to expect in terms of narrative and writing in a video game format.

    An don't worry..I'm not sucking telltales dick. This game is genuinely that incredible. Read the various reviews, browse other gaming forums besides this one. They all agree, what telltale has done with the walking dead is incredible and sets new standards.

  • All I can really say is...

    Bioware. Eat your heart out!

  • They've definitely raised the bar on storytelling.

    Now if they could get their shit together on coding.....

  • @DatDude said: I think yes.

    This might just be our "citizen kane" in terms of video game importance and a template of how to create video game narrative and story development.

    Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if the walking dead becomes the focus towards college lectures as well.

    bravo tell tale!

    Hell no.

    The railroading dead could as well have been a movie, or a comic or simply leave out the entire fighting, buttonmashing and illusionary choices out and just make it the giant cutscene that this game actually is.

    Why bother making a video game where your choices don't matter at all? Like totally not at all?

  • @Shadowhunter said: Definitely, best heavy story based game I've ever played or heard of.

    Try Heavy Rain. Beware: Your choices there do actually matter and....surprise: There are many different endings, depending on your choices. How did they do it? There's not just one hipster "main character must die" ending, there are many different endings and everyone can be happy. Crazy, right?

    Mass Effect 1 and 2 have a great story as well.

    TWD is nothing special. The story is great, but they used the wrong media for it, I mean if I wanted to watch one giant cutscene and have absolutely 0 impact on the story whatsoever, I'd read a book or watch a movie instead of playing a video game that's supposed to be interactive.

  • @shedim said: Try Heavy Rain. Beware: Your choices there do actually matter and....surprise: There are many different endings, depending on your choices. How did they do it? There's not just one hipster "main character must die" ending, there are many different endings and everyone can be happy. Crazy, right?

    Mass Effect 1 and 2 have a great story as well.

    TWD is nothing special. The story is great, but they used the wrong media for it, I mean if I wanted to watch one giant cutscene and have absolutely 0 impact on the story whatsoever, I'd read a book or watch a movie instead of playing a video game that's supposed to be interactive.

    What do you mean, wrong media? The story is based on the comic books. There is already a tv show. They are a game company. What media do you think they should have chosen. Board game?

    You're comparing two different levels here, in my opinion. Yes, Mass Effect, yes, Heavy Rain - outstanding games, but those games depleted much more money, time and resources. Or am I wrong?

  • @barenaked said: What do you mean, wrong media? The story is based on the comic books. There is already a tv show. They are a game company. What media do you think they should have chosen. Board game?

    You're comparing two different levels here, in my opinion. Yes, Mass Effect, yes, Heavy Rain - outstanding games, but much more money, time and resources. Or am I wrong?

    This is the point. It's not a game, it's just a giant cutscene, that is ocasionally interrupted by point&click/WASD movement, fight scenes, buttonmashing, some ridiculously easy to solve puzzles and some dialogue choices that put the illusion of choice in your mind. It could as well have been a novel, comic or a movie since my choices have absolutely 0 impact on the story whatsoever. It's a great story, don't get me wrong, but I expected more from a video game where my choices are supposed to tailor my gaming experience. I think a company in 2012 should be able to do better than that.

Add Comment