User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead episode 5 and entire game REVIEW thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 11K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about the last episode and concluding thoughts about the Season right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODES!!!

(poll rates the whole game, not just episode 5)

278 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • So I finished episode 5 a like 30 minutes ago and let it all sink in.. I just don't know what to think.

I get the whole point that Telltale tried to make here.

The episode seems shorter, because there is 'no time left'.
    Still it felt too short to statisfy me..

At the start they really got my attention.. I mean.. You start out pretty dramatic! It also seemed like all the choices I made really mattered and were going to give me a totally different playthrough and a different ending. I was starting to imagine that there were going to be different scenarios, different cutscene.. It would be real fun to do a second playthrough!
    Loved all those little details that they put in, how they made the characters so loveable.. I didn't had Kenny with me but it felt great to be reunited with him later.

Great scenes like slashing through zombies.. Slicing a zombie kids head..
    It was so intense.. They really got me excited!

Even a choice that we might all have forgotten, taking food from the car..
    But from there..
    I lost it.

The man did not give a damn about my choice (I did not steal from the car).
    Yes I know this is realistic, he was insane. Of course he did not care.. But from there it went downhill for me.. It was getting too predictable..
    The head in the bag was shocking too btw.
    Also loved the fact that they smeared themselves with zombie blood and flesh.. The memories of the comic!

Anyway, from there..
    Everything felt so pushed.
    You knew what was going to happen.. And I know that's the point of the game.
    You have no time left, so there is no time to get a more emotional scene with clementines parents, they're just waddling around there without a real story.
    There is no time to get into Lee's story, about what happened to him! It doesn't matter, because the world ended! You're not a kid, woman, man, murderer or sick person anymore, you're alive and that's all what matters.
    I get that.
    But
    It did not work for me.

Yup it was realistic that Lee had to die
    And it was realistic that we couldn't see what would happen to Clem, because our character was dead or a walker, he couldn't know.

I get the whole fact that Telltale was trying to send us the real message of the end of the world but.. I expected more!

I couldn't really feel anything for the end, because I was still waiting.
    Waiting for something to happen..
    Being excited after the credits, to finally see Clementime in the open field.. And then be dissapointed again.

It did not touch me, not at all.
    Great message here, but I just expected more after 5 episodes of making intense choices.

Anyway, I would still recommend this game to all my friends.
    I really enjoyed the first 4 episodes and had a great time.
    Started to read the comics and watching the series and I'm loving it!

And other people might have shed buckets of tears and found the ending amazing, which I can understand!

So I hope you all had a great time, please don't be mad at me for having an opinion, I'm not bashing on the game.
    Feel free to share your experience too!

P.S.: Excuse me for my English, it's not my mother language.

• @Emmerd said: P.S.: Excuse me for my English, it's not my mother language.

For it to be your second language you're doing very well, friend. You should work on your paragraphs and sentence structure, but other than that, you're doing fine! I agree with majority of your points about the game. Very rushed, very sloppy writing.

• @Doctanian said:

6) Choice never mattered with this game. You can feed me that "the theme is helplessness/hopelessness" stuff, but that's some bullshit. It was cost effective and time saving. Period. I was really expecting them to come through and give us multiple endings for this one episode. I could tolerate things like Carley dying and Ben's lackluster death if you save him, as long as they gave me the option to end the game in a couple different ways, but no. It's like being able to choose different types of fast food. You may get a different taste, but it all ends in a heart attack regardless.

I know I'm coming down hard on a downloadable game that probably didn't have much funding and resources behind it, but TellTale should've never suggested that your choices actually matter and therefore have a profound effect on the story when they really didn't mean anything. Doug, Larry, Carley, Ben, Duck, Katjaa, Chuck, and Lee are doomed no matter WHAT you do. Molly, Lilly, Christa, Omid, Kenny, and Clementine's fates are unknown thanks to a literary cop-out (ambiguous endings).

They should've just said it's a story and you're along for the ride, but instead it gives the phony illusion of choice. We can argue all day whether it's intentional or not.

I really hope season 2 is much, much more ambitious and far-reaching. Hope Clem, Lilly, and Christa and Omid come back. Kenny, if he's alive too.

That said, I still adore the game. It's going down in my top 20 favorite video games of all time.

THIS
    EXACTLY
    MY FEELINGS.

I was so angry about issue number 6.

:/.

• @Doctanian said: For it to be your second language you're doing very well, friend. You should work on your paragraphs and sentence structure, but other than that, you're doing fine! I agree with majority of your points about the game. Very rushed, very sloppy writing.

Heh thanks mate! c:

• Sadness. I don't think I can play as anyone else. Seriously. I'll pass on Season 2. Well done though.

• Having finished the game now, my overall like for the Walking Dead franchise in itself has diminished. I didn't hate it by any means, but I get really sick of being let down over and over again by so many people dying for seemingly no other reason than they just thought it was good to kill them off.

I was pretty pissed about Kenny's death at the end, it seemed like a total ripoff. I mean I chose to save Ben, so when Kenny pulled out the gun and said there was only one bullet, my immediate response was to just tell him to give it to Ben and get ourselves out. After all Ben had already said that was what he wanted, and he wouldn't have wanted to be the cause of Kenny's death anyway. Not to mention Kenny had literally just got done saying that what Katjaa did was selfish, and how you are supposed to stick around to help those you care about no matter what, then they let him go and off himself. BS. I get that it made sense, leaving Clem with Omid and Christa, but still it was a cheap death, and I'm getting pretty sick of those.

The thing with Lee was a major bummer for me too, I hate that they had to kill him off, and I seriously spent the time episode 4 was released to the time episode 5 was released hoping they would write it in as just a scratch and that he would be fine. Sadly that hope was for nothing. I ended up crying at the end of the episode, it was a mix of sadness and anger, and it just left me feeling almost betrayed.

The "villain" was absolute rubbish. He was basically mad at me for no reason, I wasn't guilty of any of the crap he went on about, it was like he was mad at me just for the sake of having someone to be mad at. It was ridiculously convenient how they wrote that bit too, there were no zombies anywhere to be found in the Marsh house until Clem fired the gun, and that only brought one single zombie. Also what would have happened if Omid and Christa hadn't have gotten separated from Lee, how would he have responded then? That part just had such a terrible story to it.

The final chapter just seems so rushed, there is literally no closure at all. I don't know what happens to Clem, Omid, or Christa, or even Lee really. I don't get why they couldn't just throw us a bone or something.

All in all the game wasn't too terrible, would I play it again? No probably not, but I did enjoy some parts of it. One of the absolute game killers for me was how often I would have to restart because of my save data being deleted. I likely wont purchase season two unless TellTale fixes the issues with the save data and starts being far less ambiguous.

• To summarise:
    tumblr_mc3g3kxIYy1rihxwyo1_500.gif

Words cannot describe the depth of emotion in this Episode, nor can they describe the excellence. Even if it was a little shorter than that I expected, it was still the best damned game I've seen in a while.

• I really enjoyed playing The Walking Dead. Any complaints I may have about it are very minor. I also realized that I love the episodic format! I found that I really looked forward to getting a new episode and seeing what happened next; it was similar to having a favorite show come back in the fall after not being on over the summer. It was like getting a little present every month or two. I will be back for season 2, and if Fables is Telltale's next game, I'll give it a try.

• @Doctanian said: Absolutely masterful series. That said, I do have a harsh review. I loved the episode, but I seriously need to point out some problems.

I have six main complaints with episode 5

1) WAY too short.
    2) It felt rushed/Campman's motivations.
    3) Lee's arm.
    4) Lee's death/zombification.
    5) The epilogue was horrible.
    6) The concept of "choice".

1) Is it just me? Or is this the shortest episode? I mean, I railroaded through this in what seemed to be maybe an hour and a half? Most episodes reach over 2 hours. Episode 3 had to be the longest. Hoping for a longer experience.

2) Also the way the story wraps up was rushed. I mean, Campman's motivation made little sense to me. Sure, he says you stealing the stuff led to his family's demise, but was that really enough for him to go through with his Rube Goldberg idea? And how was he able to track them down in the city, Clem didn't have the radio with her. Why the fuck wasn't the Marsh Hotel filled with zombies? And what the fuck was Campman going to do if Lee came with everyone? How could he have possibly beaten Lee, Kenny, Christa, Omid, and Ben? Especially if they were armed? Waaaaaay too many plot holes. Very, very sloppy writing. I would've gladly waited another month or two for a better written story.

3) I didn't cut my arm off, because in the back of my mind I knew it was absolutely pointless. And low and behold, it was. My friend messages me saying he got Lee's arm amputated and he STILL dies. Thanks for being complete dicks with that one, TellTale, teasing a possible determinant death. Also, Kenny and the others seemed to know cutting it off might help. My question is, why the fuck didn't they suggest that when I first showed them the bite?

4) I was expecting Lee to die. But the way people were hyping the ending up made me think Clem was going to die too. Not that I wanted that. It's the last thing I wanted. It's just people were saying this was the most heartwrenching thing they've ever seen. So I'm like "Clem must be the one that dies". I mean, everyone loves Clem and that's the only death I expect people to have such a strong reaction too. I love Lee, but still. I guess the fact that I expected Lee to die took a bit of the emotional sting away. I got so attached to him and Clem. I'm glad to see Clem alive, but knowing they'll never be together again makes me much more angry than it does sad.

5) The epilogue is complete trash. I hate that TellTale keeps trying to be ambiguous. First Lilly. Then Molly. Then Vernon and his piece of shit group. Then Kenny's "death". And then Clementine. Is it too much to give the player some closure? I mean, it is a season, but from what TellTale was saying after the game's success, I don't think they had a season 2 planned. So was this cliffhanger ending supposed to happen or was it added in at the last minute to hook people for season 2?

6) Choice never mattered with this game. You can feed me that "the theme is helplessness/hopelessness" stuff, but that's some bullshit. It was cost effective and time saving. Period. I was really expecting them to come through and give us multiple endings for this one episode. I could tolerate things like Carley dying and Ben's lackluster death if you save him, as long as they gave me the option to end the game in a couple different ways, but no. It's like being able to choose different types of fast food. You may get a different taste, but it all ends in a heart attack regardless.

I know I'm coming down hard on a downloadable game that probably didn't have much funding and resources behind it, but TellTale should've never suggested that your choices actually matter and therefore have a profound effect on the story when they really didn't mean anything. Doug, Larry, Carley, Ben, Duck, Katjaa, Chuck, and Lee are doomed no matter WHAT you do. Molly, Lilly, Christa, Omid, Kenny, and Clementine's fates are unknown thanks to a literary cop-out (ambiguous endings).

They should've just said it's a story and you're along for the ride, but instead it gives the phony illusion of choice. We can argue all day whether it's intentional or not.

I really hope season 2 is much, much more ambitious and far-reaching. Hope Clem, Lilly, and Christa and Omid come back. Kenny, if he's alive too.

That said, I still adore the game. It's going down in my top 20 favorite video games of all time.

Quoted for Truth.

So much truth. I still enjoyed it. But it was the novel, not the game, or the choices, I would have had just as much fun and feels. Lee dies. I'm done, the book is closed.

OH NO! A wild season 2 appears. The whole idea of a Season 2 is just a cash cow, and given I might of tried it, had Lee not died. You can't kill Master Chief, and replace him with another Spartan. You can't kill Sam Fisher, and have his daughter fight.

It's bullshit.

• I liked how the sequence of events flowed. It flowed nicely, and it really came together smoothy at the end.

Add Comment