User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 5.6K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @BlankCanvasDJ said: No, the difference is nuance. Telltale has said from the start that your choices would not drastically effect the outcome of the story, they effect the texture of the story, they effect how people behave and how they respond to you and their motivations for the things they do.

It's really not nuance. You still argue with Kenny - even if he's your bro. You still get blamed for the car theft. You still get called a murderer. The fight at the roadside where Doug/Carly gets shot plays out exactly the same regardless of what you said or who you talked to.

The nods to your choices really don't impact the other character's motivations. Kenny acts morose no matter what you say. Christa and Omid end up wanting to look after Clem. Ben still blames himself and gives up in episode 4.

The nuances end up meaning nothing and gives the whole story a fatalistic air that people are useless no matter what. But the comics actually have more of a message than that.

So trying to claim nuance doesn't really hold when the characters still do the same things in the end.

• @Evinshir said: It's really not nuance. You still argue with Kenny - even if he's your bro. You still get blamed for the car theft. You still get called a murderer. The fight at the roadside where Doug/Carly gets shot plays out exactly the same regardless of what you said or who you talked to.

The nods to your choices really don't impact the other character's motivations. Kenny acts morose no matter what you say. Christa and Omid end up wanting to look after Clem. Ben still blames himself and gives up in episode 4.

The nuances end up meaning nothing and gives the whole story a fatalistic air that people are useless no matter what. But the comics actually have more of a message than that.

So trying to claim nuance doesn't really hold when the characters still do the same things in the end.

^^^

This.

• Don't they have to make the ending & epilogue basically the same so when season 2 is released everyone will start at the same point?

• So much to cover about this. I enjoyed the episode and the season only a few minor complaints. I had the arm taken off, thought it was the best chance at survival. I figured it was not the bite that was going to kill me, but blood loss and exhaustion that did Lee in at the end. I think the epilogue was not needed because Lee was dead or gone whatever. I thought the end of game was perfect. Lee stormed in and did his best and got her out, that was the goal throughout.

Now some complain about not surviving. How were you supposed to survive? You were bitten in the 4th episode you knew the clock was winding from then on out. Maybe if you cut your arm off and found somewhere safe to heal up over a few days with medicine you could have survived.

Why would you think you failed Clem because she is on her own afterwards? She survived a long time with Lee, and she has a shot. If you think giving up and letting her die is a better choice than a chance, then you miss the point of being alive. It was as happy as an ending as you could really expect.

Did you expect Lee to chop enough zombies in the Gauntlet to get a kill streak and get to call in tactical support or something?

• @Saoralba131 said: Don't they have to make the ending & epilogue basically the same so when season 2 is released everyone will start at the same point?

Not necessarily. They can always start Season 2 at the same point with an explanation as to why Ben/Kenny/whoever survived is no longer with Clem.

Personally I feel the better approach would have been to end the story properly here and make Season 2 be a new story with new protagonists then have characters from season 1 make guest appearances.

While I love Clem, I kind of feel her story has been told. It will be interesting to see where they go next with it, but I would want more choice and consequence in season 2 before I'd be willing to put any money down.

• @Saoralba131 said: Don't they have to make the ending & epilogue basically the same so when season 2 is released everyone will start at the same point?

No. They threw continuity out the window when they killed Lee. It'll more than likely be a new protagonist, possibly caring for Clem.

• Stop telling people what to like or not like. If they say the writing sucked or the choices are pointless. Then it sucked. This is a VENT thread after all. Not kiss TTG's butt. Geez!

• @ieatbrains said: Stop telling people what to like or not like. If they say the writing sucked or the choices are pointless. Then it sucked. This is a VENT thread after all. Not kiss TTG's butt. Geez!

Open forum is it not? Allowed to disagree with each other, its okay.

• @ieatbrains said: Stop telling people what to like or not like. If they say the writing sucked or the choices are pointless. Then it sucked. This is a VENT thread after all. Not kiss TTG's butt. Geez!

I swear. I can see people disagreeing on the choices thing, but to deny this episode was poorly written is ludicrous. The dialogue between Clem and Lee is fantastic, but the entire "campman" thing is complete and utter bullshit.

• @funyahns said: Open forum is it not? Allowed to disagree with each other, its okay.

There's a difference between disagreeing and just blindly dickriding TellTale, like so many posters here are doing. Once the Fridge Logic hits them, they'll get what we're venting about.

Add Comment