User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 5.1K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Gerudan said: You still have to give the player the feeling of some kind of accomplishment. Now Lee has completely failed, he might as well shot himself in the head with the shotgun from the beginning, what difference would it make? Clem is all alone, hungry, thirsty and will probably die from exhaustion in the next couple of hours. We don't even know who the two silhouettes at the end were. There really is no excuse for such a stupid cliffhanger ending.

Oh look, we will make a second season, so you don't need an ending for the first one, because that is, how good writing works.

Actually Lee hasn't failed, not if Clem survives and goes on to do something important.

From the looks of the end, it seems you might be Clem in the second game (if there is one).

It is a standard feature of story structure that has been around for 1000s of years that the tutor *must* die or leave so that the person they were caring for can prove they are a hero themselves. If they never get to do that the tutor was a pointless character in the first place, because you never get to see what the person they were caring for actually learned.

So, if Clem is the main character that you control in the second game, Lee pretty much had to die or be removed from the story in some other way so that everything he did could be validated.

• @WoodMan said: Actually Lee hasn't failed, not if Clem survives and goes on to do something important.

From the looks of the end, it seems you might be Clem in the second game (if there is one).

It is a standard feature of story structure that has been around for 1000s of years that the tutor *must* die or leave so that the person they were caring for can prove they are a hero themselves. If they never get to do that the tutor was a pointless character in the first place, because you never get to see what the person they were caring for actually learned.

So, if Clem is the main character that you control in the second game, Lee pretty much had to die or be removed from the story in some other way so that everything he did could be validated.

The likelyhood of us playing as Clem is extremely slim. Yes, she might become a protagonist like Carl did in the comics, but again, it's unlikely. What made the game so appealing was the fact the player was protecting this little girl. It'd be a whole 'nother ballgame if we were forced to be her.

• @Doctanian said: I swear. I can see people disagreeing on the choices thing, but to deny this episode was poorly written is ludicrous. The dialogue between Clem and Lee is fantastic, but the entire "campman" thing is complete and utter bullshit.

I agree. While there are some rough bits, the overall writing is excellent and the final scenes with Clem and Lee were well written and acted.

My only complaint is that there was no variability in the finale. I would have preferred there being a chance for anyone to die or live based on how you had developed your relationships with them, each other and what choices you make in the final episode.

And I do think that cutting Lee's arm off should have had more influence on how things ultimately played out.

• @Doctanian said: The likelyhood of us playing as Clem is extremely slim. Yes, she might become a protagonist like Carl did in the comics, but again, it's unlikely. What made the game so appealing was the fact the player was protecting this little girl. It'd be a whole 'nother ballgame if we were forced to be her.

Yeah you could be right because she is still very young, would be an unusual protagonist, but it could be quite a different game, think no punching people and fighting off hordes with a meat cleaver stuff like Lee was doing but having to survive in other ways, it could be very interesting.

However, I was half expecting a scene at the end where you see a much older Clem, like 20 years old or something, only identifiable by her hat :D

That would have made a more likely Clem protagonist for a second game, and given the first game a happy ending because Lee's actions would have all been validated right there!

• My disappointment was the chart at the end telling me I did or didn't do stuff that I actually did.

• TellTale should've dropped the whole walkie-talkie business. That ruined the story. It was absolutely masterful up until the end of episode 4. The whole tension between Lilly and Kenny, the struggle to survive and make tough choices on who gets to eat. Raiding places for supplies. Finding a boat. Taking shelter.

Then Clementine got kidnapped and Lee got bit. How conveniently doom and gloom.

Episode 3 should've erased the whole walkie-talkie concept and just stuck with the main message: survival. Maybe they should've ended the season with Clem finding her parents (in a more dramatic way, because episode 5's way was terrible) and have her kill them to defend Lee or something. Maybe Lee gets bit at the end of the season. I don't fucking know, all I know is the writers' efforts to make a effective villain failed and thus the entire plot fell to pieces before my eyes . The goal should've been just to survive with your group.

I was angry at campman, not for being a bad guy, but sucking so fucking hard at it. He's easily one of the lamest villains I've encountered in a game.

I need to stop thinking about episode 5, otherwise I'll hate the series. It's that bad to me.

• @Arkane said: My disappointment was the chart at the end telling me I did or didn't do stuff that I actually did.

You got that too? And in the game, Campman accused me of letting Clem eat human meat. I know for a fact I stopped her. What the fuck?

• @Doctanian said: There's a difference between disagreeing and just blindly dickriding TellTale, like so many posters here are doing. Once the Fridge Logic hits them, they'll get what we're venting about.

I didn't care for the Campman thing really, didn't make any sense. But calling people dickriders and stuff is confrontational just because of disagreements. I wish some things had been done better. But overall I feel the game accomplished what it set out to do.

• My problems

-Molly isn't even referenced
    -No way to save Ben/Kenny
    -Not everything is explained
    -We of course are left with a cliffhanger instead of the two people being Omid and Christa

• @funyahns said: I didn't care for the Campman thing really, didn't make any sense. But calling people dickriders and stuff is confrontational just because of disagreements. I wish some things had been done better. But overall I feel the game accomplished what it set out to do.

I'm not calling you a dickrider, I think I know why you liked it. But there have been people on these forums and others just blindly defending TellTale's poor storytelling. I'm sorry if you were offended. I love the game, I just hate this episode, lol.

Add Comment