User Avatar Image

Episode 5 ending.

posted by jeffster on - last edited - Viewed by 623 users

I get the feeling from a lot of posts that nobody watched past the credits. Make sure you watch past the credits.

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • the story's so good. I just didn't like how after getting emotionally attached they just ended it not knowing what's going to happen to Clem.... no answers...:confused:

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I know it's not the simplest concept to grasp as we keep calling the story discussion forum "spoiler forum", but STILL ending discussion belongs there. ;)

I have NO beefs about the TWD ending - while I seldom had more beef with an ending than in Mass Effect 3. I really don't want to go into real detail about the differences, but here are some central bullet points for them nonetheless.

[LIST]
    [*]ME3: ending teases assorted radical changes to franchise without detailing anything; TWD: ending in concordance with franchise and genre rules
    [*]ME3: ludicrous deus ex machina ending; TWD: ends on the necessary "tragedy" note
    [*]ME3: Powerless protagonist forced to act counter to philosophy of entire ME series; TWD: Active protagonist reaches his only goal left in life
    [*]ME3: Completely illogical ending "fix" trough extended cut, written by 10 year olds; TWD: completely logical ending which will never be changed.
    [/LIST]

• @AzTeC_wArRior213 said: How could they have ended the game like that?
    What happens to Clem watching those two figures at a distance?
    Is this story followed up through in thier upcoming second season?

Someone please help; I am trying to do research to give me answers.

There is a purpose for everything, so season 2 must begin from there. I think we play as Clementine from then on. I don't know.

• : ( u think so? man i feel left hanging.

• I disagree and perhaps better left at that. I can't b blamed for yearning of some answers, and because you have a different take than mine.

• @Devlonir said: OMG.. this is Mass Effect 3 ending whining all over again.. same small group of people whining about details they didn't enjoy.

Maybe you should just enjoy it for what it all is: A wonderful experience that is, as announced not yet ended as there will be a season 2. Best bit about an open ending is that it leaves the option open to continue with this group instead of introducing an entirely new group for season 2.

Seriously.. I should stop visiting forums of story based games as everyone who thinks they know how to write better stories comes on them to whine about how sucky some details or endings are.. sheesh.

I disagree and perhaps better left at that. I can't b blamed for yearning of some answers, and because you have a different take than mine.

• I certainly wish we had gotten more closure, this game has turned me into an emotional wreck. I wouldn't have even minded one more "baw" moment, like if Clementine approached them and we didn't see them, just Clem. The way I imagine it is they would ask Clementines name and she would reply "Clementine Everett" , showing that she accepted Lee as a father figure, and as a final symbol of their undying bond.

But of course, we see poor Clemmy all alone and lost. It was really saddening to see but, I guess tgats what telltale were going for. So, kudos to TTG, and here's to season two.

• I saw it as Clementine wanting so very badly to attach to someone who could protect her, yet at this point so wary of trusting anyone ever again that the poor thing is just paralyzed. As poignant as it comes, IMO.

• @jeffster said: I get the feeling from a lot of posts that nobody watched past the credits. Make sure you watch past the credits.

Why would you think that? Surely every gamer knows to stick around past the credits just in case, and everybody but me (it seems) is disappointed and complaining because they DID see the epilogue.

• I don't like to bang on and on, but I can't help but think that sometimes large numbers of players or viewers or readers of media confuse the emotions a deliberately ambiguous ending elicits, with it being 'unsatisfying'.

Like, I understand that sounds super-condescending, and I'm not saying anything you feel is 'wrong', but you're supposed to long for things to have turned out better. The game is about asking questions, not providing answers. Throughout the entire game, the only thing it promises is uncertainty.

Add Comment