User Avatar Image

TWD Season 2 speculation/suggestion (merged threads)

posted by Yusuf Koroma on - last edited - Viewed by 23K users

In the coming months, Telltale Games will release three more episodes of their adventure game The Walking Dead. They won't stop there, though. Telltale marketing executive Steve Allison said that they will create a second season eventually as well.

"Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do," Allison told Polygon.

The Walking Dead has been a huge critical and commercial success for Telltale. The first episode, "A New Day," sold almost 1.7 million copies in its first two months. It's said to be the company's fastest-selling game ever.

The game starts before the events of the Walking Dead show and comic. Lee Everett, a man convicted of murder, has been unexpectedly free as a zombie outbreak sweeps the globe. He and a small group of survivors band together in order to stay alive. As Lee, players must endure zombie attacks as well as internal strife among the survivors.

It's not clear whether the second season of the game will be a direct continuation of the first season. They might just decide to tell a new story with a completely different cast of characters. I'd be happy with either. The writing for these games has proven top-notch so I have faith that Telltale could craft another compelling set of survivors for us to follow.

Episode 3 of Walking Dead will be available in August. "Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do."

www.cinemablend.com/games/Walking-Dead-Game-Season-Two-Confirmed-44364.html

1.2K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • We do. We just fucking do. Hail the walking dead!
    Though with so many dead people... Well... Not sure If i can take it anymore.

• Yeah I thing I am Legend is a good viewpoint to that. Let there be someone out there that can save humanity or let there be safeplaces ppl can get to and live on. If not I don't know, you can just blow up earth, I mean it is really pointless then and if lee doesn't come back... well I think my reason for this game just went out of the window. Too bad choices don't matter at all.

• I don't think we'll see Clem again, I've explained why elsewhere.

• I think we'll start as someone else, then we'll find out about Clem in episode 2 or something.

• "Need" and "Want" are two different things. "Need" another season? No. "Want" another season? Yes :D

• I haven't played any of the Telltale's games (aside from TWD, of course), but I think they must've had some ideas on what the season 2 should look like. Season 1 was amazing, so the bar was raised very high and I'm sure they're aware of that. So I don't think season two will be just cutting off coupons.

• It would be a terrible mistake not to include Clementine in your season 2 experience. Terrible. I have a lot of faith in Telltale and I don't think they would create an amateur mistake. In interactive storytelling you never put a character on the sidelines that your participant is attached to unless its for tension purposes.

I suspect that Telltale will open Season 2 with your new character. It will give you some time, maybe an episode or less, to grow with the character and identify with him before it then reintroduces clementine. They could opt to begin you all the way back at day zero but I doubt it since it would require them (by my formula) to 'skip time' during an episode which is something they haven't done and would be a mistake.

In fact, I think that the two figures at the end are your new 'survivors'. I suspect they will start your story and conclude it with you walking on that hill and seeing Clementine. From that point on Clementine will be involved in your new group. I suspect that instead of starting at 'day z' they will have your two survivors explain their past months to each other or to Clementine when they encounter her. She'll also explain her story which, if Telltale is cool, won't just be a 'skip scene' and will instead be a full story told from her perspective based on your choices in Season 1.

Alternatively the figures could be Christa and Omid however I think that finding those two would be a pretty good 'character goal' for Clementine in a season 2 story. Otherwise she has no immediate motivation outside of survival which makes her story less interesting due to a lack of conflict.

Assuming they keep Clementine, which they should, they will have to introduce her in a way that allows her to recap the events of season 1 in case the participant didn't play season 1. I also suspect that Clementine's introduction, loyalty, and behavior will change based upon your advice to her.

Clementine will not be the protagonist and Telltale will need to make that clear early on because so many of the members of this forum think she will be. That is why I suspect a late entry for her into season 2 (towards the end of episode 1, or its middle). They will need time to build up a new protagonist that you care about. If they're smart (and my theory is right) they will also shift the 'father complex' of needing to defend clementine to your new partner which will allow Clementine more independence.

Playing Christa and Omid would not be fun.

• A story with a new set of survivors would feel too disconnected, espacially since i don't think they'd be able to invest enough time into any one character as they did with Clementine this whole season, to make me care about them the way i care about her.

Clementine is 9 at the end of this season.. She has matured way beyond her years with the experience she got. It would make for an awesome season to see her grow up alongside new people and challenges.
    One idea from me..Go the comic route make a longer season that spans 1-2-3 years where she grows up mentally and physically (so she's even more capable of defending herself). Although i know it's difficult to make bigger time jumps since the situation the world is in doesn't really allow someone to make it many years. They'd have to be in a really secure situation and not travel around, fleeing walkers for that to work, at which point you couldn't really make a game about it.

• I agree with the comment above. I reckon that the two people Clem sees are the new season 2 characters. I think Clem will be in season 2 and possibly Molly as the audience seemed to really like her and she could have easily escaped Savannah. I doubt they will have any other characters in season 2 that were in 1, even Christa and Omid. It's a new story and I think Clem should be the only continuing theme. I don't wanna be with a new protagonist on episode 4 of season 2 and find that my choice to kill Larry means I can't get on a plane or something mad like that.
    It will not have more than a few months time jump due to it claiming to be in the same universe as the comics. Im not that fussed about having a sims style creating my own protagonists' looks. They did well with Lee so I trust them to do it again, hopefully with another interesting character.
    The trouble is, if they get a new protagonist and it is (however long into the zombie apocalypse episode 5 was) they have already made huge choices by now. They would need to think of someway to let us 'mould' our character again from when the zombies start yet I feel not make us do all those months again.

• Absolutely YES...we need A NEW SEASON....
    we need Second,third and more and more,PLEASE.

Add Comment