User Avatar Image

TWD Season 2 speculation/suggestion (merged threads)

posted by Yusuf Koroma on - last edited - Viewed by 24.9K users

In the coming months, Telltale Games will release three more episodes of their adventure game The Walking Dead. They won't stop there, though. Telltale marketing executive Steve Allison said that they will create a second season eventually as well.

"Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do," Allison told Polygon.

The Walking Dead has been a huge critical and commercial success for Telltale. The first episode, "A New Day," sold almost 1.7 million copies in its first two months. It's said to be the company's fastest-selling game ever.

The game starts before the events of the Walking Dead show and comic. Lee Everett, a man convicted of murder, has been unexpectedly free as a zombie outbreak sweeps the globe. He and a small group of survivors band together in order to stay alive. As Lee, players must endure zombie attacks as well as internal strife among the survivors.

It's not clear whether the second season of the game will be a direct continuation of the first season. They might just decide to tell a new story with a completely different cast of characters. I'd be happy with either. The writing for these games has proven top-notch so I have faith that Telltale could craft another compelling set of survivors for us to follow.

Episode 3 of Walking Dead will be available in August. "Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do."

www.cinemablend.com/games/Walking-Dead-Game-Season-Two-Confirmed-44364.html

1.2K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • A second season would be great, but without these characters. Their stories are done (and let's face it, if Clementime doesn't get onscreen, nothing bad can happen to her. If she gets on screen, we can't guarantee she'll live) and I do not want them to be extended for a sequel.

However, at the same time, I don't want it to be a group that's BRAND new. We already learned all of the stuff of the apocolypse. Three times now(Tv, comics, and this game) I think it should focus on key events from the comics. The best one would be Lilly(comic Lilly, not our Lilly, although that could work too) and after her events at Woodsbury.

Molly would work too.

• @dakun said: A story with a new set of survivors would feel too disconnected, espacially since i don't think they'd be able to invest enough time into any one character as they did with Clementine this whole season, to make me care about them the way i care about her.

Clementine is 9 at the end of this season.. She has matured way beyond her years with the experience she got. It would make for an awesome season to see her grow up alongside new people and challenges.
    One idea from me..Go the comic route make a longer season that spans 1-2-3 years where she grows up mentally and physically (so she's even more capable of defending herself). Although i know it's difficult to make bigger time jumps since the situation the world is in doesn't really allow someone to make it many years. They'd have to be in a really secure situation and not travel around, fleeing walkers for that to work, at which point you couldn't really make a game about it.

A story with a new set of survivors would not feel too distant precisely because the first group was not and because so long as Clementine, and aspects of seasons 1, are included you will feel attached to the new 'team'.

If it is not broken do not fix it. Television series make the mistake where an incredibly popular season will make the writers feel empowered to try a new direction. The longest running shows are those which identify the pattern that was successful and repeat it. Telltale's writers seem of pretty high caliber to me so I suspect they will make the smart (and safe!) choice.

Clementine cannot be the protagonist for a number of reasons. If she is the protagonist our decisions to shape and mold her as Lee mean less since our choices as Clementine will now dictate her actions. Secondly, the primary gender of people playing the game (and the majority gender of the authors) are men and gamers enjoy playing males. Thirdly, Clementine was only appealing as a character because we felt a desire to 'protect' her which grew with every episode. Simply put, Clementine is an excellent supporting character but would be a horrible protagonist precisely because she is a child and because we are adults. Honestly it would be less entertaining.

I will admit that Christa and Omid could be the new 'team' but I suspect you will play a new character with your own motivations primarily because even at their height both Christa and Omid are not incredibly interesting characters. Also, if I am right and Clementine is a supporting character again then finding Christa and Omid will act as a good character motivation for a character that otherwise has none. I agree with the above poster that we will see actual or references to season 1 characters that survived (and some that didn't).

The setting will not leave Georgia and will only make cameos to comic events to avoid continuity issues or spoilers. However because Clementine (and Christa/Omid and likely your new character) have decided to avoid cities I suspect that there will be some plot involving how Clementine and her new group acclimate to 'country life' with another group of survivors who are well off. This is where I would take the story and isn't too "cliche" despite it being the predictable natural course.

Clementine will not be the protagonist.

• I would not be surprised that you'll end up playing with Molly as protagonist and upon meeting the Season 1 surviving group you'd already have a basis of familiarity, also Molly seems like the kind of "tough love" person, which could provide for an interesting formula with Clementine as opposed to the "grow to caring" personality of Lee.

• I think It would be useless to make new characters for Season 2, since Christa and Omid are still alive (Unless they died which wouldn't make much sense) so If they're still alive than that's where Season 2 should pick off, Clementine finds Christa and Omid (Possibly Kenny, but he most likely died) what do you guyz think?

• I think we'll see Christa, Omid and Clementine again. Kenny is a possibility. He might have made it.

• there is always people that feel "why keep on going, just end it here".

• When Kenny gets seperated from the group either saving Ben or Christa, Lee and by extension the player never actually see him die in either case.

I would guess that Telltale might have done this to give themselves the option of bringing him back as the protagonist in Season 2.
    If they don't go with Kenny then I guess we'll be following Omid, Christa and Clem or quite possibly Molly.
    A new group of characters would be a bad idea.
    Why try to build a connection with some all-new survivors when we already have such a strong one with the existing characters?

EDIT: Also, if Kenny becomes the main character of Season 2, I don't know if we'll ever see Clementine again. I'd be ok with that, as long as we don't find out that something terrible has happened to her.

• I think we should be a grown up Clementine. Maybe Lee's actions have an effect on Clementne's future. She is more of a ruthless survivor if Lee took wha he needed from the car and killed potential threats, and more compassionate and mercifull if Lee was.

This would be just a little blurb at the beginning of the game and changes some npc reaction dialouge. Nothing big enough to give the writers a headache with huge decision trees. There must also be a default history.

• @thunderbunny4 said: Made me laugh. That is seriously the only issue that I have with the Walking Dead. They do so much emotionally for the characters but as actual viewers, readers, or players, they just pile on crap and make it hard for us to be hopeful that anything good will ever happen.

In fact, I remember reading somewhere and either Kirkman or someone working on the TV show said something along the lines of, "There is no cure, there is no safe zone, there is no place that has not been touched." And I immediately lost some interest in the series. Because as a viewer, reader, or player, you are hoping that something will go right, that they will somehow find a place where they are safe. But by saying what they did, they say that it is not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN everyone becomes infected and/or dies. And what fun is that.

I mean at that point the ending is set, the characters all have to die in some way, or people have to do a lot of zombie killing to make the world better again. And even then, everyone would turn when they died, so you would never be safe again.

But the essence of the story is just that, nowhere is safe... Does an author tailor make his story to fit one's wishfull thinking of happy everafter? Not everyone gets to marry their highschool sweetheart, fall in love with Mr. Right, and the cancer patient sometimes just succumbs. Heh, my boss has a saying. "Life's a bitch, and then you die..." There is no hope in a Kirkman, society has gone to hell so make do with what you can, till your face is eaten off at least...

(yes... my glass is half empty by the way:p)

• @Rasher said: I think we should be a grown up Clementine. Maybe Lee's actions have an effect on Clementne's future. She is more of a ruthless survivor if Lee took wha he needed from the car and killed potential threats, and more compassionate and mercifull if Lee was.

This would be just a little blurb at the beginning of the game and changes some npc reaction dialouge. Nothing big enough to give the writers a headache with huge decision trees. There must also be a default history.

This idea has been said many a time and while it is nice enough, it won't happen. If Clem is in the next game then her max age will be 10/11.

Add Comment